My personal 'rule of thumb' tier list

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
My source is the official guide, stamped by Nintendo. Your source is incorrect.
Yeah kraken is invincible ; put a killer wail in front of a kraken ; I'll knock him back alots but won't kill unless the special gauge run out in the middle of that.
It would be nice if there was an actual goal to getting A+ 99. Like a special hidden gun that you could obtain.
Well you have a Golden A+ which is something
I was wonderin, do yall high ranked players have a preference for motion controls or stick controls?
Also, what is your weapon of choice?
I prefer motion control and climbed up my way to A+ using only kelp splat charger.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
I was wonderin, do yall high ranked players have a preference for motion controls or stick controls?
I like to use motion controls in conjunction with the stick. That way I can oscillate with the stick to spread ink, and use the motion controls to aim precisely..

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
At the end of the day folks. . .however special Inkbrush may be to you, there are many weapons that are more effective at doing the same job. IMO Carbon Roller specifically is what Inkbrush shoulda been in the first place.

I think it's really great that there are loyal Inkbrush users and all that, but let's stop pretending it is anything but a very generous C- from a tier perspective. It is unquestionably weaker than SJR. Not even sure how someone came to that conclusion. . .

Any who, in every game there are players who just enjoy using low tier characters / weapons / etc because the style suits them, and against the odds some even may display great prowess with that option (it can be entertaining to watch, as well), but it's like choosing Mewtwo vs Sheik in Melee. It's unorthodox, and your opponents might initially get caught off guard simply because of the fact that it's different, but it is not the optimal choice.

Hope I articulated that well enough.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Oh my, what happened here? I was going to post a counter argument to what Eclipsc70 said, but I see Ultimatum already beat me to it. In any case, I don't think anybody in a lower rank has an invalid opinion. I just think they're wrong to say Inkbrush is good.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
At the end of the day folks. . .however special Inkbrush may be to you, there are many weapons that are more effective at doing the same job.
There is no weapon that really does the inkbrush's job besides the inkbrush. The inkbrush is an upper middle weapon, and if used properly, can be very good. Tiers should always be loose and fluid, because the player makes up almost all of the skill.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Ink Brush will rise in usability when the Beacon/Kraken set is released.
Can't argue that. The speed would let you get all over to place beacons, and kraken is a great special. The regular set will probably be better for turf wars, though.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Ink Brush will rise in usability when the Beacon/Kraken set is released.
This kit looks to be better suited than others, for the ink brush. But it doesn't negate the fact that, the ink brush its self, is a sub-par weapon at best.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
This kit looks to be better suited than others, for the ink brush. But it doesn't negate the fact that, the ink brush its self, is a sub-par weapon at best.
As a weapon, yes, but you miss the point of the inkbrush. It's not kills, it's distracting, and inking. And it does those well.

Ultimatum

Full Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
The majority (but not all) use motion controls. It's a bit difficult to aim a game as fast paced as Splatoon with everyone zipping around as a squid with a joystick. There are a few people using stick but those are the people who have been playing console shooters for many years. I personally recommend motion controls.

As for weapons, I reccomend finding some very different weapons and become comfortable with them. My personal favorite weapon is the Tentatek Splattershot as there really isn't a map you can't excel with that weapon on. Good luck!

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
There is no weapon that really does the inkbrush's job besides the inkbrush. The inkbrush is an upper middle weapon, and if used properly, can be very good. Tiers should always be loose and fluid, because the player makes up almost all of the skill.
That's not how tiers work though. "If used properly" can be applied to any weapon in the game. By that logic, the Hero Replica could be high tier "if used properly"!

Please look at the weapon as a whole. The player is irrelevant. If you dissect the weapon itself then you will understand better. Another example would be looking at Fox in Melee. If you take away the player, the character is still top tier on its own. It has better options for more situations - more versatile.

The Inkbrush's job, essentially, is to use its movement speed to get to choke points. It can spread ink quickly. However, it is ineffective at mid and long range combat, and at close range requires multiple hits in a STILL position to get just one kill. That means its effectiveness is SITUATIONAL at best.

At the cost of a bit lesser movement speed, the Carbon Roller has a better offensive special suited for mid and long range, it has an OHKO melee, and the width of its core is wider. Its overall presence on the map is just better. Again, if you're swinging 5x to maybe get a kill, the Carbon Roller is swinging only once.

That is only one example. I can't stress enough that in these specific situations there are BETTER weapons. Feel free to use whatever you like! I often go against the grain in games since it's more fun for me personally, and the satisfaction of using a low tier option at a high level is awesome. Though, it does not make it "high tier". The argument "if used well" is inapplicable.

Twinkie

Full Squid
NNID
Twinkiman
Can we all agree that Carbon Roller needs to be put on the "Just Don't" tier? The killing potential for it is so low for what you are sacrificing. And kill potential has a bigger importance on splat zone.

Nucleose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KingNucleose
Also, frankly, the inkbrush's role is not as valuable. It doesn't matter if you point out that people are judging it according to its weaknesses rather than its strengths because its niche just doesn't have as big of a place in Splat Zones. No one's trying to rag on your favorites, it's just looking at it from plain view. Chances are it'll be amazing in Rainmaker, it doesn't need to be good everywhere and this game is doing a decent job of making sure every weapon has their place. (Well...maybe not rapid blaster)

Coming from the Pokemon community where people tend to be more attached to specific Pokemon and want to use ones that just aren't very usable, I've learned to see low tier weapons/characters/etc. as tools that have different usability. While hard to use isn't a good pro or a con for literally anything, hard to win with is. If, at the highest level of play, you find that using one weapon to win is harder than using another one where skill level is relatively equal, than that warrants it being lower tier. In Smash, Ganondorf is a very cerebral character with a kit designed to destroy on punish, but Ganondorf players have to work much harder as a whole to secure their wins than Sheik players. This isn't to call any one character or the other braindead or easy mode, but because one character has more versatile tools and a better overall kit, winning just comes easier and that's what's natural.

I figure Smash as a reference makes sense here, as these early tier lists discussions go about as well here as they do on Smashboards. All we're missing is lobbies so that people can say "You think Custom Splattershot is bad? 1v1 me bro."

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
As a weapon, yes, but you miss the point of the inkbrush. It's not kills, it's distracting, and inking. And it does those well.
>Because the ink brush is hard to understand

This isn't about what the ink brush can do, but rather, what it can not do. One side of the spectrum, clearly out weighs the other.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
That's not how tiers work though. "If used properly" can be applied to any weapon in the game. By that logic, the Hero Replica could be high tier "if used properly"!
By "use properly" i mean actually understand the basics of the weapon, which you obviously don't.

You people realize I'm just saying that the inkbrush is not low tier, right? I never said it was high tier...

Last edited by a moderator:

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
By "use properly" i mean actually understand the basics of the weapon, which you obviously don't.
Riiight. . .Well, it was fascinating having this engaging conversation with you. Thanks for enlightening me as to why Inkbrush is viable instead of ignoring everything I said.

I'll just sit at A+ 99 in my ignorance then!

P.S. There's an edit button to avoid double posts.

Reactions: Lyn

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
You people realize I'm just saying that the inkbrush is not low tier, right? I never said it was high tier...
What do you consider low tier in this game?

I feel like a lot of the people arguing for the Inkbrush here should be arguing that the tiers are compressed in this game, not that the Inkbrush isn't low tier.

*Edit*

Not that it matters much, anyway. We're a little over a month away from when the solo queue matchmaking we have now will become almost entirely irrelevant, and the only thing that will matter will be 4v4 party teams. At that point, individual weapons and builds won't matter, but cores (combinations of them) will.

It's like in Marvel vs Capcom 3. Morrigan by herself is really not that threatening of a character. Put her together with Dr. Doom and all of a sudden MorriDoom is a god tier core that makes every player think twice about teambuilding in fear of MorriDoom.

While it's obvious what some of the better cores will be, and it's obvious that the Inkbrush by itself is not good, players who really WANT to use the Inkbrush will probably be able to come up with some cores that incorporate the Inkbrush in a way that can be viable up to whatever level they are able to perform at.

Last edited:

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Riiight. . .Well, it was fascinating having this engaging conversation with you. Thanks for enlightening me as to why Inkbrush is viable instead of ignoring everything I said.

I'll just sit at A+ 99 in my ignorance then!

P.S. There's an edit button to avoid double posts.
If you made an interesting argument, I might have actually felt interested in talking to you.

What do you consider low tier in this game?

I feel like a lot of the people arguing for the Inkbrush here should be arguing that the tiers are compressed in this game, not that the Inkbrush isn't low tier.
I feel that a lot of the weapons are just in a big blob in the middle. I'd say there's about 4 tiers. A, B, C, and D. D would have stuff like the Aerosprays, and the Rapid Blasters. Maybe some others. Inkbrush would be in C or B tier.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
If you made an interesting argument, I might have actually felt interested in talking to you.
Except I'm not arguing. I'm giving my perspective based on experience. You went out of your way to quote me originally, so obviously it's not a case of finding my "argument" "interesting", albeit lacking a rebuttal and being lazy with shorthanded responses.

From what little you've said, you're leaving a lot open to interpretation, hence my apparent misunderstanding of how "if used properly" translates to "knowing the basics".

For something you're building a case for you sure don't have a lot to say on the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom