My personal 'rule of thumb' tier list

Nucleose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KingNucleose
If you made an interesting argument, I might have actually felt interested in talking to you.
You can't really just pick and choose which arguments you listen to when they're legitimate even if you say they aren't "interesting."

Well, you can, but are we going to get anywhere that way?

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
I don't get why there is a "Just Don't" tier if you concede that someone who knows how to use it can succeed with it.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I don't get why there is a "Just Don't" tier if you concede that someone who knows how to use it can succeed with it.
Because it's not about the person using it or how proficient they are with it, it's how it stacks up against other weapons, which are superior to it, thus placing it in "Just don't" tier.

EDIT: To put this into perspective, the best swordsman in the world will never win against an inexperienced gun user. Both weapons are designed to do the same thing(kill), but one is simply more efficient than the other at doing it.

Last edited:

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
Because it's not about the person using it or how proficient they are with it, it's how it stacks up against other weapons, which are superior to it, thus placing it in "Just don't" tier.

EDIT: To put this into perspective, the best swordsman in the world will never win against an inexperienced gun user. Both weapons are designed to do the same thing(kill), but one is simply more efficient than the other at doing it.
But nothing is remotely that bad in this game.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
But nothing is remotely that bad in this game.
Um, yes there is, that's kind of the point of this whole discussion. Inkbrush is simply not going to win compared to for example a .52 Gal unless caught off guard. The short range and low damage output simply can't compete against that.

lostleader

Senior Squid
NNID
lostleader
Um, yes there is, that's kind of the point of this whole discussion. Inkbrush is simply not going to win compared to for example a .52 Gal unless caught off guard. The short range and low damage output simply can't compete against that.
Inkbrushes are not offensive weapons, they are to maintain points, and remain defensive to succeed. Inkbrushes are often used in the vain they are a roller or aerospray type weapon, but they simply aren't. They certainly have a higher learning curve than .52 gals and the like, but they are not outright bad. In fact, they play a key roll of being the fastest rushdown weapons, making a gunner following an inkbrush a very scary thing.

Box

Pro Squid
In principle, it's definitely not a good idea to start stacking up the weapons against each other in a tier list before we even know what the metagame is going to be. That's how good strategies end up being slept on. So it's definately premature to really say that the Inkbrush isn't viable.

On the other hand, there's not a whole lot else to talk about and the Inkbrush is pretty bad right now.

Quick Inkbrush theory: Once teams & coordination. become a thing, one gimmick set the current Inkbrush could run would be to use high mobility and ink coverage to support your team with Inkstrikes that they "call in". The trick would be that the Inkbrush has the ability to run away from engagements remarkably well and that the Sprinkler can dramatically assist in the time it takes to charge special. And of course, the Inkstrike is the only special that's equally effective when used from any point on the map. It's still a gimmick because you're committing to a permanent 3v4 to do this but it's something only that Inkbrush set can do.

Last edited:

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Inkbrush is the same as using a Jr. in ranked. You're niche and have large flaws. I don't know why people are still debating this.

In principle, it's definitely not a good idea to start stacking up the weapons against each other in a tier list before we even know what the metagame is going to be. That's how good strategies end up being slept on. So it's definately premature to really say that the Inkbrush isn't viable.

On the other hand, there's not a whole lot else to talk about and the Inkbrush is pretty bad right now.
I can tell you pretty confidently right now that most teams will wind up consisting of Charger/Dynamo/Tentatek/DPS.

The Apple BOOM

Senior Squid
NNID
TheAppleBOOM
So are we talking about solo queue Splat Zones here? If so, that changes a lot of things.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
I was originally going to just leave this thread because everyone in it is pretty annoying to me, and I still will, but I wanted to say something first.

Sorry for being so argumentative, but it's really annoying when you just say "No, the inkbrush CAN'T be good because tiers are super concrete things and I'm more competitive than you." I think the inkbrush is a pretty decent weapon, even in turf wars, and when everyone just says "it only spreads ink and can't fight" it's really stupid, especially when I give reasons why it can be useful, such as distracting the enemy, running around to help teammates, and, uh, you know, SPREADING INK. You guys seem to think that tiers are some inflexible list of the best all the way to the worst that can't be fluid, which isn't true, and isn't what I think. So, bye. Not responding to anyone on here, since I unwatched the thread. Sorry about all this.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
Why would I care what people under A- think? If you can't get to at least A- and honestly struggle you're probably very inept. I dislike having actual conversation be interjected by people who can't even display the slightest hint of skill and game knowledge and barge in with 'i went 19-2 with inkbrush in B- you're wrong' crap.

Don't think I'm trying to say everyone at A+ is some kind of god but you don't reach that rank without having some kind of idea of whats going on and some honest ability.

Is it really a competitive discussion if many of the participants aren't really at a competitive level?
and here we have the Elitist, in its natural habitat: complaining about people who don't meet their high standards.

As an Inkbrush main I'd kind of agree it's not really the best at Splat Zones, but it can be a nice weapon to have there. @lostleader made the point I was going to make: It's a defensive weapon, not an offensive one. When you have the advantage it flourishes in keeping that advantage; you're able to freely roam and assassinate enemies and throw sprinklers to hold areas/apply pressure, and if the zone gets taken back you'll quickly have an inkstrike ready. Of course, if your team doesn't have the offensive ability to take the lead, it won't be much help there with its pitiful range.

Last edited:

Nucleose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KingNucleose
While it's not particularly tactful to pull the "you're not ranked high enough" card during an open discussion on early tier lists, it's also not particularly good to dismiss their points because of that. This is all beating a dead horse, in circles.

Everyone's stated their points, the topic says personal rule of thumb, it's pretty easy to go "well, I see your way of looking at it, but I disagree" and leaving it their without throwing the same arguments at the wall waiting for the other side to go "yes you're right." Debates and discussion are about showing perspectives and providing new avenues of information, not about making them change their minds or proving how elitist and narrow minded OR how scrubbish the other side is.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Yeeeesh.

Tier lists based on ACTUAL data don't mean all that much, a tier list based on personal opinion only having played solo a month after the game released? Doesn't really hold any weight at all.

If you look at the thread as Ultimatum's month in solo splat zones opinion the conversation might have stayed more... pleasant.

That being said, I'm of the opinion that weapons are fairly well balanced and tiers are pretty close together. Rapid blaster is the only weapon I can really point at and be like yeeeeaaaah that doesn't really have even a niche. Actual team composition is really going to help some weapons tho, to touch on the competitive pokemon analogy that was brought up it's like teams with really weird, low tier mons that still do great because the whole team is built around making use of that pokemon.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH

First of all: Opinions of everyone should be respected. Just because someone is B or C rank doesn't mean you can exclude him from a discussion on the boards... A tier list will always cause controversy, especially in this early stage of the game.

About the inkbrush... I think it's a weapon which is really hard to master. Most other weapons are as good or bad as they are "out-of-the-box" (except maybe chargers or dynamo roller) in my opinion, but you need to invest a lot of practice into the inkbrush before it becomes strong. The quesition is - if you put that much practice in another weapon, would it excel your inkbrush skills?
At the moment inkbrush is a niche, but I can see some strong team strategies evolving around it. Just take Port Mackarel in Splat Zones and a team with one inkbrush against a team with no inkbrush. The brush team can rush up to the enemy's zone in almost the same time as it takes the other team to leave their half of the map putting very early pressure on the enemy.

I don't have a personal tier list yet, for me it's enough to know that Tentatek Splattershot is op :D I actually used it from the moment I unlocked it until Level 20 before even knowing that it was so good^^ Now I switch between it and the Pro depending on map rotation and mode.

Last edited:

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Christ, a lot went down here. We need psychological therapy in here.

Hari-Kuyo

Inkling
I am learning the ways of the Inkbrush. When I first used this weapon, I was stuck in C+. Now that I've figured out some new techs, my rank is shooting up at rapid pace. Once I reach the A ranks I'll tell you what got me there. But I think at the very least, I can say right now that this indicates a helluva learning curve.

I think it will improve a ton in August as it seems to be very momentum-based, so if your team is not working together, you may fall fast. Right now my argument is that it is a weapon that can kill, and part of the reason it's built to spread ink so fast, sub/special and all, is that wide puddles of ink facilitate its kill potential. It focuses on element of surprise. Get an opponent from the side and they are dead before they can process the need to run or defend. You need enough turf of your own to fight in this way. So, in ranked, an Inkbrush is ideal for quickly obtaining control and maintaining it once you have it. Important for avoiding the penalty timer. Sprinklers also double as convenient decoys. It forces the enemy team to focus on destroying it, dropping their guard to do so.

I know this is coming from a B rank, but this strategy has pulled me up very far in a short amount of time and if it changes again by the time I get farther, I'll tell y'all what I did differently. I'd say there's value in looking into this further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom