• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

N00by squid coming through!

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
Hello~ My name is Ember-wisp (you can call me Ember for short) and I'm brand new to Splatoon! Earlier this year my boyfriend and I got our very first house together and because of this, we decided to wait a long while before buying a Switch or games for it. As of my birthday (September) however, my boyfriend surprised me by buying a switch and 5 games to go along with it. One game being Splatoon 2 of course!

This game really was never on my radar, I knew it existed but I didn't buy the first game due to money related issues and I wasn't really sure that I would like it. When I saw that he had bought this game I was afraid it would be a dust collector on my shelf; How happy I am to say that I was wrong.

The moment my boyfriend (his user name is Kloer) started up the game and played around for a bit, I fell in love with it! The hilariously bad fish puns, the crazy 90's/2000's lingo, the bright colors, and the squid kids are just so dang cute! but it gets better for me.

My whole life, as long as I can remember, I've been playing video games of all types. Not once, have I ever played a PVP game where I'm "actually" good at it! I'm only level 15 right now and I can already tell how fast I'm picking up on the mechanics of this game. I'm even already comfortable with the motion controls!

I've played FPS'es, MOBA's, MMO's and with all those games I just felt like I was getting in the way of my teammates and disappointing everyone. I still had fun in those other games, but no matter how long I played, and taught myself how the game worked, I was still never "good" at them... I've got over 500 hours clocked in on TF2 and my skill is still just "meh"

I'm having so much fun playing that losing a battle, or getting splated over and over again, doesn't upset me, and I still feel like I'm contributing. I think the lack of chat and VC is also helping with my mood in this game. No one can talk me down just for being a new player and it's really nice! The worst anyone can do is spam the "this way!" button at me.

I am 24 with a job so I can't really play the game as much as I would like to with all my lovely adulty responsibility's and what not, but when I do have time to play I really enjoy it! and would love to meet some fresh squids who would like to play with me. :) I don't even care what rank or level you are, you could be level 1 and Id be like "okay homie, lets do dis!"

TLDR version: I'm really looking forward to being apart of this community, making some friends, and becoming even more skilled at this game! So don't be afraid to chat with me or send me a friend request. :)

I'm really sorry if this thread was to long btw. ;w; I hope I did not break any rules. Speaking of rules, is there a place where I can read the rules? I couldn't find a rules page for this site, and I really don't want to mess anything up.

Peace out my fresh squidlings~

2shotsofvodka

Give me all your Vodka
Hello, Ember! Welcome to squidboards, if you have any, just ask

You can find the rules here

but yeah, having a job and gaming doesnt always mix well, that’s why im in a group that does well with that and understands aha— Anyhow, glad to see a new face!

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
Hello, Ember! Welcome to squidboards, if you have any, just ask

You can find the rules here

but yeah, having a job and gaming doesnt always mix well, that’s why im in a group that does well with that and understands aha— Anyhow, glad to see a new face!
Thanks! I like that haunter gif btw. My BF use to do live streaming, and when somebody followed, that gif would pop up in twitch alerts.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
@Ember-Wisp Welcome to SquidBoards, I hope you enjoy your time here, and that you can use some of the precious resources found here to improve your game play.

I've played some other FPS titles, like COD and Overwatch, and didn't really feel attached to either. But playing splatoon, it felt rewarding when I learned the game's mechanics during those first hours of gameplay. It was relieving to find out that you didn't need to kill something every 10 seconds to be productive on a team.

As for groups, you can find some in the forum titled "squad social", which has loads of squads be it competitive or casual.

Or if you want, I can get you into one of my friend groups that has loads of players on different skill levels, and mostly for causal appearances. However, I can only get you in if you have a discord account.

But I hope you find squidboards as a helpful tool towards your success in splatoon.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Welcome to yonder board of Squids!
I've been on this site for a while now, and I still haven't read the rules. Whenever I post, I just cross my fingers and hope that I'm not breaking any.

Splatoon was the first shooter I ever played, and so when I played Battlefront with a friend I was like "What even is this like how are you supposed to aim without motion controls?"

I'm kinda looking for people to play with casually (most of my squadmates still don't have switches), so I'd be happy to play league or turf or whatever sometime if you want.

Mikaya

Certified Nerd
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-8448-2209
Welcome to the community! That intro was pretty impressive. x)

I hope you'll be an active member of the forum and contribute! Thanks for joining us! ^^

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
@Ember-Wisp Welcome to SquidBoards, I hope you enjoy your time here, and that you can use some of the precious resources found here to improve your game play.

I've played some other FPS titles, like COD and Overwatch, and didn't really feel attached to either. But playing splatoon, it felt rewarding when I learned the game's mechanics during those first hours of gameplay. It was relieving to find out that you didn't need to kill something every 10 seconds to be productive on a team.

As for groups, you can find some in the forum titled "squad social", which has loads of squads be it competitive or casual.

Or if you want, I can get you into one of my friend groups that has loads of players on different skill levels, and mostly for causal appearances. However, I can only get you in if you have a discord account.

But I hope you find squidboards as a helpful tool towards your success in splatoon.
Thanks for the info! I was just thinking about joining the discord that is shown on this site as well, but that would be cool too. :) if you did decide to add me though, I might not be around all the time to play and I hope that's okay. ;w;

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
if you did decide to add me though, I might not be around all the time to play and I hope that's okay. ;w;
That's completely fine, we're not on a set schedule or anything. A lot of people in the server, have: work, or school (that's me) to be attending to instead of playing splatoon.

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
Welcome to yonder board of Squids!
I've been on this site for a while now, and I still haven't read the rules. Whenever I post, I just cross my fingers and hope that I'm not breaking any.

Splatoon was the first shooter I ever played, and so when I played Battlefront with a friend I was like "What even is this like how are you supposed to aim without motion controls?"

I'm kinda looking for people to play with casually (most of my squadmates still don't have switches), so I'd be happy to play league or turf or whatever sometime if you want.
This isn't my first shooter, but I have a feeling the motion controls are going to spoil me. I can imagine myself trying to aim a regular controller for a different game. lol

And that would be sweeeeet. I'll add your friend code after I get home from work tonight. or you can add me if you want.

Welcome to the community! That intro was pretty impressive. x)

I hope you'll be an active member of the forum and contribute! Thanks for joining us! ^^
Dwaa thank you! I thought I was over do'ing it. And I really want to get gud at this game so think I'll stick around for awhile.

Welcome, your gonna love it here.
I think I already do. :3

That's completely fine, we're not on a set schedule or anything. A lot of people in the server, have: work, or school (that's me) to be attending to instead of playing splatoon.
thank goodness! I can't tell you how many times I've had overly demanding teammates... :(

Welcome! I'm sure you'll feel very welcome here, but if you need any help, holla at ya boi!
Hollaaaaaaaaaaaaa! (that's not me asking for help btw, that's just me being silly. :p )

Last edited by a moderator:

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Hello, and welcome. Nice to see some effort placed into the introduction, that is a plus. So you believe you will mend into the community? I hope so, everyone is pretty much welcoming here in these parts.

I am an avid gamer myself, and regular artist here on the threads and open to do commissions for people's Splatoon OCs. So if you have something to commission, you can ask me anytime if you wish.

I could go on about other things, but I am a walking dictionary and encyclopedia when it comes to random subjects, so I won't endorse too much for now.

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
Hello, and welcome. Nice to see some effort placed into the introduction, that is a plus. So you believe you will mend into the community? I hope so, everyone is pretty much welcoming here in these parts.

I am an avid gamer myself, and regular artist here on the threads and open to do commissions for people's Splatoon OCs. So if you have something to commission, you can ask me anytime if you wish.

I could go on about other things, but I am a walking dictionary and encyclopedia when it comes to random subjects, so I won't endorse too much for now.
Thanks! glad to see other artist here as well. I too do art, but I have not been doing much of it over the last few years due to lack of time management skills, and some self-consciousnesses. Sometimes I'm so critical of my own art, I don't improve as a result. :( but I'm working on getting over that. Id like to draw my own OC, but I'm not that great at drawing people... then again I haven't tried to draw one of the squid kids yet. Do you have a Deviant Art page or tumblr where I can see your art? :3

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Thanks! glad to see other artist here as well. I too do art, but I have not been doing much of it over the last few years due to lack of time management skills, and some self-consciousnesses. Sometimes I'm so critical of my own art, I don't improve as a result. :( but I'm working on getting over that. Id like to draw my own OC, but I'm not that great at drawing people... then again I haven't tried to draw one of the squid kids yet. Do you have a Deviant Art page or tumblr where I can see your art? :3
Refers to the link in his signature.

It is on pixiv, and twitter. I used to post my art on deviantart, but that was ages ago. So my art tends to be exclusive around Japanese sites to sadly disappoint you. They do pop up here, and there on the creative corner of this forum, though, and I do run a thread that caters to off-topic artwork that doesn't involve Splatoon.

And please don't bash yourself with artwork, I am constantly reminding peers that if they compare or at least get overly envious that they procrastinate, they won't exceed anywhere than they are at. Drawing takes lots, and lots of drafts and studies in order to make one picture perfect. If you know the process of exercising from a warm up, to a hard workout, to a cool down period, it is the same type of feel of how from a practice session goes to something serious.

The best thing to not do with art is make 'excuses' to why you aren't good. That makes it even worst. Because that excuse is just a obstacle to why you can't get better, or why you don't get better.

Sorry for jabbering, but from a professional standpoint, you don't have excuses or reasons why you make a mistake, you just do it and go along if you make a mistake. Because if you rely on every mistake you make, no pictures will be made and again, procrastination happens.

Right now I am winding down from Inktober, it involves inking and it was a media I hardly touched. It took me a month in order to pamper down some techniques before I was able to fully figure out what to do, and what equipment that I like. But the challenge isn't for everyone, you can get pretty overwhelmed from drawing so much and depending what you use, it gets expensive since I use bristol and other types of pens for it.

But yes, my art is on there, and I am pretty serious with it as it might be too obvious already. So if I come off stern, blunt, or insensitive, that is normal, I tend to be reasonably strict when it comes to being self explanatory about my various hobbies. Right now I am tirelessly looking for a stable job (Work here is direly scarce at the moment), and art is the only short income I am getting at the moment, even if it is slow.

So yes, if you want art tips, and things in general, you are free to ask me. I am always available, but be mindful I might get a bit irritable on occasions, especially if it is a repeated art question involving 'I can't get good', since I been lately answering that over, and over that recklessly.

Oh, last thing, my first commissions, or request are for free as a try-out if you like how I draw, just inputting that if you ever want me to design your OC. But yes, I don't want to flood you out, hahaha.

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
Refers to the link in his signature.

It is on pixiv, and twitter. I used to post my art on deviantart, but that was ages ago. So my art tends to be exclusive around Japanese sites to sadly disappoint you. They do pop up here, and there on the creative corner of this forum, though, and I do run a thread that caters to off-topic artwork that doesn't involve Splatoon.

And please don't bash yourself with artwork, I am constantly reminding peers that if they compare or at least get overly envious that they procrastinate, they won't exceed anywhere than they are at. Drawing takes lots, and lots of drafts and studies in order to make one picture perfect. If you know the process of exercising from a warm up, to a hard workout, to a cool down period, it is the same type of feel of how from a practice session goes to something serious.

The best thing to not do with art is make 'excuses' to why you aren't good. That makes it even worst. Because that excuse is just a obstacle to why you can't get better, or why you don't get better.

Sorry for jabbering, but from a professional standpoint, you don't have excuses or reasons why you make a mistake, you just do it and go along if you make a mistake. Because if you rely on every mistake you make, no pictures will be made and again, procrastination happens.

Right now I am winding down from Inktober, it involves inking and it was a media I hardly touched. It took me a month in order to pamper down some techniques before I was able to fully figure out what to do, and what equipment that I like. But the challenge isn't for everyone, you can get pretty overwhelmed from drawing so much and depending what you use, it gets expensive since I use bristol and other types of pens for it.

But yes, my art is on there, and I am pretty serious with it as it might be too obvious already. So if I come off stern, blunt, or insensitive, that is normal, I tend to be reasonably strict when it comes to being self explanatory about my various hobbies. Right now I am tirelessly looking for a stable job (Work here is direly scarce at the moment), and art is the only short income I am getting at the moment, even if it is slow.

So yes, if you want art tips, and things in general, you are free to ask me. I am always available, but be mindful I might get a bit irritable on occasions, especially if it is a repeated art question involving 'I can't get good', since I been lately answering that over, and over that recklessly.

Oh, last thing, my first commissions, or request are for free as a try-out if you like how I draw, just inputting that if you ever want me to design your OC. But yes, I don't want to flood you out, hahaha.[/QUOTE

I can sign up for this site so I can look at the rest of your art, I don't mind. I like any place that has fan art for me to look at.

And it's fiiiine. I can take constructive criticism, or just criticism in general, I don't get triggered very easily. I used to be far worse when I was younger, Id look at somebody else art and be like "man I'll NEVER" be that good" now that I'm older, I look at "good" art and find it motivating. I've been drawing sense I was 3 years old and most of that time drawing was self taught. I getting a lot more into using tutorials, references, and help from other artiest to improve my stuff.

I'm currently practicing and learning how to draw clothing and shoes so if you know of any good references or tutorials I can look at that would be great. :)

and honey I know the job struggles... I'm currently a cashier and it took me almost 6 months just to land this crappy job. I'm glad I have it because it helps pay the bills, I just wish I could get a job where I don't feel like every day is a "Monday" This place I work is so poorly run it makes me cringe.

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
I think I broke that last post, so here's my response to it. I'm sorry I don't know how to use this site yet. ;w;

I can sign up for this site so I can look at the rest of your art, I don't mind. I like any place that has fan art for me to look at.

And it's fiiiine. I can take constructive criticism, or just criticism in general, I don't get triggered very easily. I used to be far worse when I was younger, Id look at somebody else art and be like "man I'll NEVER" be that good" now that I'm older, I look at "good" art and find it motivating. I've been drawing sense I was 3 years old and most of that time drawing was self taught. I getting a lot more into using tutorials, references, and help from other artiest to improve my stuff.

I'm currently practicing and learning how to draw clothing and shoes so if you know of any good references or tutorials I can look at that would be great. :)

and honey I know the job struggles... I'm currently a cashier and it took me almost 6 months just to land this crappy job. I'm glad I have it because it helps pay the bills, I just wish I could get a job where I don't feel like every day is a "Monday" This place I work is so poorly run it makes me cringe.

Ember-Wisp

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
IceCrystalEmber
Switch Friend Code
SW-6109-1903-3315
I do have discord btw. :)

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I think I broke that last post, so here's my response to it. I'm sorry I don't know how to use this site yet. ;w;

I tend to not rely on tutorials, most of it is just studying off other people, and forms. I am pretty simplistic when it comes down to telling how I go about my things. At most I would slow down the frames of Don Bluth's films, or any other just to copy and follow the motion that it does since it is better than just relying on 'how' to draw, and more with watching the artist itself drawing, and how they go about it.

And I am being honest, but some tutorials for me is a bit of BS when it comes to the internet, and sometimes give more worst options rather than actual improvement. But if you want an actual constructive tutorial, then this artist will make due:

http://www.thedrawingwebsite.com/

But yes, I won't go much further than derailing this place off topic. If you ever think about giving me contact, it will have to be messaged towards me which might be confusing for you. You have to click on the name, and it will say 'start conversation', and this will be helpful if you feel like contacting anyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom