NA Splatfest: Did the metagaming cause Water Slides to self-splat?

SalsaSavant

Full Squid
Some thoughts.

After the Cats/Dogs things, people realized that popularity was a big thing. So, many waited until reports about which team was more popular before pledging, which was the day of.

Because of this...
no one leveled up their T-shirts! Even though it's a minor bonus, it's still enough where a team mostly lacking skills might be at enough of a disadvantage to make a difference. So we had a lot of waterslide people with a slight disadvantage playing, allowing combat to be set behind.

I don't know, I might be crazy and thinking too much. But hey, might be worth considering

Squadaloo

Full Squid
NNID
RodRodney
While the shirt bonuses are nice to have, I really don't think they'd make that big of a difference.

Bippzy

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-7508-4027-9894
Team Water Slide had a lot of people, but the vast majority of the players on it were just, for the lack of a better phrase, terrible beyond all reason.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I was on Team Coasters and I did not level up the shirt beforehand at all. I think it is a waste of experience that I can put on another shirt.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
you know what I think the biggest contributing factor here was?

Good old random statistical distribution.

Purge

Inkling
Honestly, I don't think enough people use online forums enough for metagaming to make a difference. If EVERYONE did it we may get a 15% shift, which is a lot but not everyone is going to do that. Plus the shirts don't make a huge difference and no one is really going to reroll something that disappears in two weeks.

rodjoh

Inkling
NNID
rodjoh
Honestly this Splatfest was more even than the 1st one, in the end the skill advantage did make the difference. I think everyone should stop trying to trick the system cuz the vast majority wont do that.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I am just guessing the Team Waterslides people took it less seriously. As reports told the team was greater, people must have thought they had it in the bag and did not try harder.

Either that or that since more waterslides are open to younger people, more kids who can't use strategy played on that team.

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
Three sub abilities on a Special Saver shirt does not a better player/team make. I didn't level up my shirt beforehand and still won most of my matches on my way to Water Slide King. On no sleep.

As for why the team win percentages were the way they were? Randomness, like @Grafkarpador said. There's nothing inherently wrong with that either - a playerbase this big is gonna have different preferences (including whether they want to win the extra snails or just have fun), so teams are gonna be shuffled around each time in a way we can't really predict.

Kebab

Full Squid
I don't really think the shirts were all that important since you can upgrade them while playing the splatfest.
What I do know is that people were trying to go to the more popular team even going as far as posting things like these http://prntscr.com/7ulqwj
Well to people who picked Water Slides that thought they'd win because of the popularity, I hope you learned your lesson :) Please pick what you want to pick, and not what everyone else wants to pick...

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member

I joined Team Rollercoaster cuz I main a Roller and wanted to crush kids.

Odaroloc

Inkling
NNID
OriginalRave
I was honestly surprised that Team Waterslide didn't win. From my experience, I won nearly 80% of my games. The reason, though, is that I got paired with decent people (a "dream team", if you will) and we dominated. Most of my losses came from disconnects by myself and teammates, which I think we need to discuss. Lag during Splatfest ruins Splatfest. If a team has 3 people, it's an assured loss. With so many disconnects, I feel like if a teammate disconnects at the start of a game, the matchs shouldn't count toward the Splatfest wins. It's a free win, basically, and it happens so often that it we aren't getting accurate win data (or fair win data).

Nintendo has the worst online servers, and they need to fix them. Until then, when your entire team disconnects, you shouldn't have to suffer knowing that the unfair loss will go against your Splatfest choice.

Travelingpik

Full Squid
NNID
travelingpik
I joined Team Rollercoaster cuz I main a Roller and wanted to crush kids.
Whats hilarious is I rarely saw rollers on team rollercoaster i was so sad for that missed oppurtunity :(

On a serious note, having a dream team can be more detrimental. If you team is full of amazing players then they are all on one team and not on 2-4 different teams carrying each team to victory. Imagine 4 teams where one is good and the other three are just leaderless and weak. its only a 25% win while it could be 100%.

Ofc its funner to win everytime with your amazing team, so just play on the team you want and have fun, that 6 or less snail difference is not that important.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
If a team has 3 people, it's an assured loss. With so many disconnects, I feel like if a teammate disconnects at the start of a game, the matchs shouldn't count toward the Splatfest wins. It's a free win, basically, and it happens so often that it we aren't getting accurate win data (or fair win data).
When I was in Team Cat I was in about 3 matches where I was in a team of three. I won two out of them. It's possible but frustrating.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I think some of the server problems are not Nintendo, just people purposely disconnecting. I saw a few people leaving right at the start of a battle, probably to sabotage the other team.

Of course, I dont get why the matchmaker would put 4 people against one.

jkid391

Senior Squid
I don't really think the shirts were all that important since you can upgrade them while playing the splatfest.
What I do know is that people were trying to go to the more popular team even going as far as posting things like these http://prntscr.com/7ulqwj
Well to people who picked Water Slides that thought they'd win because of the popularity, I hope you learned your lesson :) Please pick what you want to pick, and not what everyone else wants to pick...
That's what I did, and both Splatfests I lost.
I have lost my faith in humanity and judgement.
I will still choose what I want, and I hope others do the same.
And as for teams, seriously, people, remember that Splatfest only has Turf Wars, not a killing spree!

xCoCo

Inkling Commander
NNID
xCelsiusS
I was annoyed that some players simply picked a side because it was popular (and othere advocated as so). This shows you should pick what you want because even if you lost you picked a side that you wished to fight for. I'm glad we Coasters won as underdogs.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
Whats hilarious is I rarely saw rollers on team rollercoaster i was so sad for that missed oppurtunity :(

On a serious note, having a dream team can be more detrimental. If you team is full of amazing players then they are all on one team and not on 2-4 different teams carrying each team to victory. Imagine 4 teams where one is good and the other three are just leaderless and weak. its only a 25% win while it could be 100%.

Ofc its funner to win everytime with your amazing team, so just play on the team you want and have fun, that 6 or less snail difference is not that important.
It's a health matter. It's way better on your kidneys if you don't have to be constantly stressed out about carrying a team of babies and consequently reaching critical blood sodium levels because all your attempts are futile. If you are on a team where your carriage is for naught, you drop that lobby like a hot potato. Like, I don't even mind carrying, the bare minimum I want from a teammate is that they know where the shooting button is instead of trying all the buttons at random.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom