• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Neo Splash-o-matic: Analysis and Thoughts

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I will say, though; if my set up is put onto the Sploosh-o-matic instead, it becomes ridiculous. S+ Rank stupid. I like it more on that, but I think all variations of the "o-matic" weapons can Sanic with great success.
Sploosh is THE most mobile weapon in the game, and on the right team comp, both versions can make for good flanking weapons. It just needs a bit of stability so it can cause problems and keep up offensive momentum.

Neo Splash is definitely a more well rounded weapon that can flank but can also hold an area on its own. Without ink efficiency it can't zone forever, but it really provides a team with a lot of important tools.

*Edit*

Also @ChiePet you shoudl check out some of the builds I posted here this morning because they pretty much all can be used on Neo Splash.

Also this is my main build, for context:

This set is viable in tournaments, as I've placed top 8 three times with it recently, although this weekend my 4th place placement I ran Zimi almost every game.

Last edited:

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I recently reached S+ 90 with the neo splash-o-matic, going on this huge winning streak from S+ 30 and a majority of the matches i was the one with the better k/d's, beating out the likes of tentatek, .96 deco's, dynamo's and even luna's, weapons that before i didn't stand a single chance against. I don't know if I improved in the game or if it was the patch (or both), but I've been doing consistently better with the neo in S+, whereas before i used to just be a liability, being overpowered by basically every other weapon in the game. The 2.7.0 patch really improved this weapon and i'm so happy for it.

Last edited:

Cyan

Inkling Commander
Here's what I've been running on the Neo Splash recently:

upload_2016-5-21_16-58-42.png

Naturally this build is heavily inspired and based off of Hitzel's one (although based on his latest posts, he has changed it significantly). I really enjoy running the 2 main's worth of Bomb Range as it allows for the Burst Bomb harassment which is both really fun and effective. I feel the pinch from the lack of movement speed when I switch to this after playing weapons with movement in them, but overall, it's really effective as it can attack those outside its range with the Burst Bombs and enables it to get faster splats when throwing a Burst Bomb whilst approaching an enemy player.

Personally I've never enjoyed Comeback, the movement perks don't really seem enough of a boost to be worthwhile, especially when it takes up a whole slot and only activates when splatted, not when drowning or falling off the stage. I agree that the 2.7.0 patch has turned this weapon into something worthy of attention and praise, as it really is great now it has slightly better range and shot velocity. It definitely is a weapon that can use the Sanic build by stacking lots of Run and Swim speed, but I think there is potential in the 3 Burst Bombs with range, and some Damage is nice since 3 main's of Defence push the Splash to a 5 shot kill and of course, Damage makes Burst Bombs even deadlier. Will be looking forward to Hitzel's guide when it is done, as there are bound to be tips there on how to utilise the Burst Bombs with maximum efficiency.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
@Leronne The latest patch increased the Neo Splash's accuracy, range, and bullet speed.

@Cyan For all intents and purposes, that is still my main build. The other builds I have been developing have been for alternate roles, when I need to take a more slayer-focused role, etc. My starting point was 2 subs of damage, then I started working on new builds from there.

Lord Zeppelin

Inkling
NNID
lunaluka
Here's a build I thought of
Snorkel Mask (damage up) with max special duration subs
Anchor Sweat (cold blooded) with max damage up subs
Hunter Hi-Tops (ink recovery) with max swim speed subs
An alt to Anchor Sweat is Squidmark Sweat (bomb range) with max damage up subs in case people aren't using echo. What do you think? Feedback is welcome.

Maave

Inkling Commander
What do you think? The burst bomb has become more of a defensive/mobility tool now Imo.
With stock stats it's a mobility tool for sure. I started using the Neo Splash like a Carbon Roller. I figured the bombs would compliment the short-ish range.
If you stack gear you can use them for offense. 3x sub saver main on the Neo Splash is frigging FUN. A full tank will give you 3 bombs. Tossing 1 leaves you with tons of leftover, tossing 2 might give you a kill, and at long range you just pace your tosses and harass the crap out of them.

Burst Bombs aren't a good fit with this weapon. Short ranged sub + rapid fire, short ranged weapon = redundant sub.
Are you swim-jump tossing? Burst bombs will outrange the Neo Splash that way. Plus the bombs go up and over obstacles.
I think the pairing is good. Gun for short range, bombs for mid, inkzooka for long.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Are you swim-jump tossing? Burst bombs will outrange the Neo Splash that way. Plus the bombs go up and over obstacles.
I think the pairing is good. Gun for short range, bombs for mid, inkzooka for long.
I was about to go all analytical and and explain why I totally agree with you (which I do, btw). But then I realized River09's post was from a year ago. lol.

I think a lot of people (myself included) thought burst bombs were sub-par back then.

One main of bomb range is really all you need to be able to harass people outside of your range. I've been running this ninja squid + burst bomb build that has been really fun in Turf War. I only use 1 main bomb range and it works fine. My normal burst bombs build has 2 mains.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Must you really quote me from almost a year ago. I've changed many opinions about Splatoon since then and so did the community as a whole considering it was only 2 months after release of Splatoon. I don't think burst bombs are bad on the weapon anymore ok.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Didn't notice that post was so old. The second half of the thread is just a few months old

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Didn't notice that post was so old. The second half of the thread is just a few months old
It's all good. The reason for the fresh discussion is the recent buff in 2.7 to the shot speed and range. It makes this gun much more viable.

Last edited:

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Just coming back to Splatoon after a long hiatus and it seems my favourite weapon has been buffed - huzzah!

What are people's opinions on the best ink booster to get the most out of burst bombs with the Neo Splash (esp. given the burst bomb's increased ink usage) - ink saver main vs. ink saver sub vs. ink recovery up? It seems each of these abilities has also received a small buff in the time that I've been away, and saver sub did the best out of that. I see @Hitzel and @Cyan have opted for stacking saver sub - did you guys experiment much with the others?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Just coming back to Splatoon after a long hiatus and it seems my favourite weapon has been buffed - huzzah!

What are people's opinions on the best ink booster to get the most out of burst bombs with the Neo Splash (esp. given the burst bomb's increased ink usage) - ink saver main vs. ink saver sub vs. ink recovery up? It seems each of these abilities has also received a small buff in the time that I've been away, and saver sub did the best out of that. I see @Hitzel and @Cyan have opted for stacking saver sub - did you guys experiment much with the others?
Ink saver sub is the best. Stacking 2 mains or 6 subs gets you 3 bombs, which is important if you want to play the weapon like it was pre-burst bomb changes. Hitzel has done some testing with non-sub saver builds that support the main weapon more than the burst bombs, but he still includes 2 damage subs to help with indirects and splash damage.

So, it kinda depends on your playstyle. If you want to be in the fray and only use the burst bombs for softening opponents or finishing them, only a little sub saver is necessary (if any). If you want to be a bit more supportive from a distance, then you want to get more bombs and therefore more sub saver.

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Your thoughts on Bomb Range Up @SupaTim ? And it's splash damage not slash damage :p
WHOOPS. edited. :oops:

I think bomb range depends on what you want to do. If you want to play more supportive you should run at least two bomb range up mains or 6 subs (or some combination). If you wan to focus more on the gun itself, then running one bomb range is solid. It lets you tag an enemy then close easily for the splat. It also still lets you harass people with bombs from a distance. I think at least one is minimum because it makes up for the poor(ish) range of the gun (even after the buff). Tentateks, .52s and Nzaps still outrange you, so using some bomb range can help you space yourself better.

For the record, I use this build on both the splattershot and the neo-splash:
Pilot Goggles :head_eye002: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_damage::ability_bombrange::ability_damage:
Firefin Navy Sweat :clothes_swt003: :ability_bombrange:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Blueberry Casuals :shoes_cfs000::ability_inksaversub:|:ability_bombrange::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:

The goggles aren't natural, but only two subs are needed (third sub can be whatever). I also want to get a natural on my bb casuals since 3 swim speed subs is what I'm used to. And it looks fresh ;)

For lulz I put together a ninja squid build that only uses one bomb range. It works pretty well in turf war though:
Ideally:
Paisley Bandanna :ability_inksaversub:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Herbivore Tee :ability_ninjasquid:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
Blue Slip Ons :ability_bombrange:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
Still lets you throw 3 bombs, but lacks the damage up. So you use the ninja squid to gain advantage in combat through swim strafing. You can still harass with bbombs and the 6 subs of swim speed make you a bit faster than normal (even with the ninja squid swim nerf).

TL;DR: Bomb range is really good for this weapon. Use two mains for supportive playstyle. Use at least one to make up for limited range.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Thanks for your thoughts, @SupaTim!

For reference, I'm working from these old builds (1, 2) but they predate the burst-bomb ink-consumption nerf. I too like to run 2 main damage up, and then to have at least one round of speed buffs. I tend to use bombs to soften people up (as you say), but now I find I'm emptying my tank, often at exactly the wrong time! I guess I'm not used to these more ink hungry bombs. But, with that in mind, do you think saver sub is still the obvious choice? With saver main. ink usage through shooting will be decreased, and so on average I should have more in tank before using a bomb, and I should also get more shots out of what I have left after using a bomb, but then is this result functionally equivalent to simply having more ink-efficient bombs?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
@Phobos
There are non sub-saver options.

These are the two comeback builds that @Hitzel recommends. He also has a build similar to yours:

You just have to be aware of ink consumption, like you say. You really only have ink for one bomb before going to your main gun. Sanic Neo-Splash is really good though. A burst bomb in someone's face then strafing them as they flounder in your ink is very effective.

With the changes you either have to choose speed or bombs. Unfortunately, you can't pick both without giving up something else (like damage).

I just (very unscientifically) tested sub saver VS main saver in the shooting range.
After two bombs:
With No perks you get about 3.5 seconds of firing
With 2 mains of sub saver you get about 6 seconds of firing (or a third bomb)
With 1 main of sub saver you get about 5 seconds of firing
With 1 main of main saver you get about 4 seconds of firing

So it seems that sub saver is still more effective in this case. It seems like you might want a more sanic focused build, so at least 3 subs of sub saver would probably be helpful.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Great info - cheers Tim! It's a shame it's now speed or bombs, but I guess I'll let it slide given the range buff :)
Just went a few rounds with this and it seems like it could be a happyish mid-ground.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Great info - cheers Tim! It's a shame it's now speed or bombs, but I guess I'll let it slide given the range buff :)
Just went a few rounds with this and it seems like it could be a happyish mid-ground.
Yeah, I like that. I don't have the shinies to make it possible, but I think a sanic neo-splash that focuses on slaying, like a tentatek would, is going to be pretty effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom