New players aiming at their shoes?

csward53

Inkling
Anyone notice new players in games aiming straight down the entire game and basically being food for the other team? I'm not sure if it's that Nintendo leaves motion controls on and they don't know how to turn them off (but even then they had to pass the training) or if their parents passed the training for them and then the kid just jumped into a game. Whoever gets that player basically loses, it's like having a leader.

If Nintendo had motion controls turned off by default would that help? Are you guys noticing players do this occasionally?

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I noticed this...alot. I feel that the game, while it tried to tutorial you on basics...doesn't thoroughly explain that shooting out forward is better than just aiming down.

They even do this when swatting the Inkbrush. Face down. I tend to cringe as they're just a sitting duck.

Maybe if the tutorial said something like "Be sure to aim forward/up ahead for better ink coverage!", it would make it a little more clear to them?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's a dumb habit newbies have. Most of them grow out of it. The ones that don't tend not to hang around.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
They do that even when they turn motion controls off!

I just accept it as par the course with 1 & 2.

It's the part of their natural progression. Slowly, they'll get the idea to aim a tad higher, little by little. But then they'll still have the problem of wasting their ink by painting barely beyond their reach as much of their ink just lands on already covered ground.

They'll improve in time.

But for now they're just adorable!

Padre

Pro Squid
This is quite new to many, as anything similar so far has been a single game on Wii U.

I played my first game today and turned off the motion controls as soon as the tutorial ended. I was quite unhappy I had to wait doing that.
Of course now few hours later I'm sticking with motion controls for now on as I learned how this game works.

Nintendo should remove the stick controls entirely. I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with looking downwards, I think it is because unfamiliar terrain and just first steps of learning how to cover land efficiently.

ChelseaSmile

Inkling
NNID
Warriorofworlds
This is quite new to many, as anything similar so far has been a single game on Wii U.

I played my first game today and turned off the motion controls as soon as the tutorial ended. I was quite unhappy I had to wait doing that.
Of course now few hours later I'm sticking with motion controls for now on as I learned how this game works.

Nintendo should remove the stick controls entirely. I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with looking downwards, I think it is because unfamiliar terrain and just first steps of learning how to cover land efficiently.
Why remove it completely? It makes the game more accessible to people who would immediately stop if they were forced to use motion controls entirely, even if later they decide to switch to them. I'd imagine Ninendo's priority is sales and alienating the majority of people who are already used to looking with the left stick seems kind of foolish

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
It's funny, I have seen very few players, even people I can tell are new to the game running around looking straight down in Splatoon 2, but I vividly remember it in Splatoon 1 back when it first came out. Don't worry about them being forever unable to look up and shoot more wisely, they will learn, they always do.

Even if it can be very hard to be patient with new players, it's important for Splatoon vets to be a little understanding when dealing with such an influx of new players. They are going to do silly things that likely cause you to lose.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Even if it can be very hard to be patient with new players, it's important for Splatoon vets to be a little understanding when dealing with such an influx of new players. They are going to do silly things that likely cause you to lose.
Case in point: Turf War last night. I watched a level 4+ Splattershot Jr. on the other team powered up his ink armor, hop off the ledge, then rush head-on at my Heavy Splatling teammate. Got immediately vaporized! Outright lol-tastic!

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Case in point: Turf War last night. I watched a level 4+ Splattershot Jr. on the other team powered up his ink armor, hop off the ledge, then rush head-on at my Heavy Splatling teammate. Got immediately vaporized! Outright lol-tastic!
Exactly! We should all just enjoy all the silly fun new players bring to the game for now. I salute you bold level 4 player. o7

Swappage

Inkling
NNID
Rampage
Hi,
i speak as a new player who never played the first chapter of splatoon and only started during the past weekend.

I feel like the tutorial could be more explainatory but people don't really like reading, and i think the devs did their best at trying to teach player to keep their aim up in a learn by doing approach. It's not a coincidence (imho) that all the targets are flying baloons and not ground targets, they wan't you to get used, from the start, to aim stright or even a bit upper then just stright forward.

My feelings: i have an FPS background on PC, and getting used to the controls is very very very hard to me, especially because i'm not that young anymore and probably my brain takes a little longer to get used to new stuff, but aiming "down" or not really stright forward, yes.. it happened to me in the beginning and from time to time it still happens... not literally "at my foot" but not that stright.

To me, this is a consequence of switching from a first person view to a third person one. The character in front of me, my character itself.. i feel like it's obstructing my field of view, and inconsciously i try to move the camera to get a sort of "isometric-ish" view to try to get a more clear view of the surrounding.. This obviously affects my aiming because the crossair (if it can be even called a crossair) is affected directly by the camera.

I'm sure i'll get used to it, now i'm slowly getting the grasp of it and my aiming is improving, little by little.

Harder for me will be getting used to the motion control, with which i feel very confortable for the Y axis, but not really for the horizontal. Hopefully time will be my friend and i'll get used to it too, will try to tweak the sensitivity.

Coming from more then 15 years of playing with mouse and keyboard has its impact.

sorry for such a long reply, I hope it will help veterans understand the feeling of a n00b more in depth :)

Ah, obviously, any advice that can help me improving is really welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom