• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

NEXT JAPANESE SPLATFEST CONFIRMED: SUSHI SEASON

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral

Source

Japan’s sixth Splatoon Splatfest event will ask sushi lovers to choose between either Team Squid or Team Octopus when it arrives next weekend.

The Squid vs. Octopus Splatfest takes place from 9 a.m. on Saturday, October 10 to 9 a.m. on Sunday, October 11. The event is a collaboration between Nintendo and Muten Kura Sushi (くら寿司), a popular sushi brand known for its healthy preparation.
So, who's got tastier hair? Us or the Octolings?

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
So is it like humans and lower primates that some are okay with eating them and Inklings/Octolings eat those lower on the evolutionary line of their kind?

Marie does say salted squid is a delicacy in some areas. Are there other sentient beings that eat Inklings/Octolings in their universe and it is treated like a fact of life for them like all those talking animal movies like in Lion King where it is accepted that some animals will be eaten? Do they cannibalize their own? Do they technically eat their own "hair"?

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So is it like humans and lower primates that some are okay with eating them and Inklings/Octolings eat those lower on the evolutionary line of their kind?

Marie does say salted squid is a delicacy in some areas. Are there other sentient beings that eat Inklings/Octolings in their universe and it is treated like a fact of life for them like all those talking animal movies like in Lion King where it is accepted that some animals will be eaten? Do they cannibalize their own? Do they technically eat their own "hair"?
Squids in our current time period only eat each other if food is scarce.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Then again the fax machine spits out faxes from the past that only now the Inklings get so in the past some human made a fax what kind of sushi is better. Can't wait for the silly dialogue that will come out of this.

You know what will be the best and not as weird? If Octoling representatives join the Squid Sisters. Squid Sisters will both be on the Octopus side and Octoling representatives will be on Squid side. And then it will be like Bugs Bunny vs Daffy Duck only instead of RABBIT SEASON! DUCK SEASON!

SQUID SEASON!
OCTOPUS SEASON!
SQUID SEASON!
OCTOPUS SEASON!
ELMER SEASON!

(someone make a comic/gif about that. Maybe Judd Season rather than Elmer Season)

Last edited:

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777

Ignoring the whole "other sentient beings eating Inklings/Octolings" thing, I agree with the theory that there are still animal squids out there that are treated by people squids (aka the Inklings) the same way humans treat apes, except maybe with more of a fondness for eating squids. Same goes for octopi.

In relation to the Splatfest, however, I'm not fond of either option... I don't like eating sushi at all. :P

Helio

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkey.esq
Both yummy!
America will be breaded pressed dead chicken scraps or pressed dead pig scraps in intestine.

Or chicken nuggets or hotdog.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I see this as Inklings Vs. Octarians without actually being Inklings Vs. Octarians. :L
I'd choose Team Squid because Callie and Blue Ink. I've never actually had Octopus or Squid, and not sure if I'd want to tbh.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
So basically, it's inklings vs Octolings

Okay, Nintendo.

tollock

Inkster Jr.
Judging by the image, am I right in the assumption that this will be the first time you'll be able to cover turf in red ink?

ChibiDubtalia

Pro Squid
I want to believe that there might be some squids and octopuses that haven't evolved as fast as the other Inklings/Octolings/Octarians, if they are still believed to be delicacies. Same applies to other sea creatures. Heck, I think I remember one of the Splatoon comics feature Judd the Cat almost eating Moe(thank cod for Annie for saving him), so even a feline like him still wants to eat fish.

I actually tried octopus, it's actually pretty good. I also had takoyaki, which is also a delicious treat!

Though even I love to eat octopus and haven't tried squid, I'd pick Sushi Squid cause of Callie and Blue Ink like Lonely_Dolphin said.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I want to believe that there might be some squids and octopuses that haven't evolved as fast as the other Inklings/Octolings/Octarians, if they are still believed to be delicacies. Same applies to other sea creatures. Heck, I think I remember one of the Splatoon comics feature Judd the Cat almost eating Moe(thank cod for Annie for saving him), so even a feline like him still wants to eat fish.
And there is a quote about him eating fish by Marie (saying he is doing the usual cat stuff) and no one bats an eye.

Pyritie

Full Squid
NNID
Pyritie

I actually tried octopus, it's actually pretty good. I also had takoyaki, which is also a delicious treat!

Though even I love to eat octopus and haven't tried squid, I'd pick Sushi Squid cause of Callie and Blue Ink like Lonely_Dolphin said.
That begs the question though -- if Moe, a normal-looking clownfish, is sentient, who's to say that regular squids/octopi aren't sentient as well?

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
That begs the question though -- if Moe, a normal-looking clownfish, is sentient, who's to say that regular squids/octopi aren't sentient as well?
There are signs of sentience they probably look for. One obvious sign is the ability to speak.

Awkwardness always happens when you base a fiction around sentient predator and prey species that live together. Never saw or read it but Animals of Farthing Woods supposedly had that predator and prey species band together to accomplish a common goal and are not to eat each other but outsiders are fair game. Creepy if applied to the Splatoon universe but that is the only way the "salted squid is a delicacy in some places" comment can be explained in universe if there are no non sentient squids this can be applied for. Even if there is non-sentient squids the comment shows that Inklings are actually uncomfortable with the idea about their not evolved relatives being eaten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom