• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

NEXT JAPANESE SPLATFEST CONFIRMED: SUSHI SEASON

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Also Sunken Scroll #21 indicates the Inklings are kinda scared that there used to be people who preyed on Crusty Sean's kind.
Doesn't mean that any of the current sentient creatures won't consume meat. Us humans used to be preyed on by now extinct carnivores (and still get preyed on by modern species if given the chance) and humans still eat meat.

ChibiDubtalia

Pro Squid
There's also the Squid Sisters quote where Marie mentions that seagulls are predators of squids in the Saltspray Rig, yet no one seems to be too afraid of the seagulls possibly snatching up one of their Inkling friends if they are in Squid mode and not hiding from them.

The fear of being eaten as Inklings themselves is carried over in the Splatoon manga where the boy Inkling misheard Inklings as "Ink Rings" or fried calamari. And let's not forget the promo art for the new DLC gear where the Inklings were wearing the sushi chef attire and serving octo sushi. An Octarian is staring at the Inkling Girl that might have done something to his unevolved relatives...

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There's also the Squid Sisters quote where Marie mentions that seagulls are predators of squids in the Saltspray Rig, yet no one seems to be too afraid of the seagulls possibly snatching up one of their Inkling friends if they are in Squid mode and not hiding from them.

The fear of being eaten as Inklings themselves is carried over in the Splatoon manga where the boy Inkling misheard Inklings as "Ink Rings" or fried calamari. And let's not forget the promo art for the new DLC gear where the Inklings were wearing the sushi chef attire and serving octo sushi. An Octarian is staring at the Inkling Girl that might have done something to his unevolved relatives...
The FAMITSU brand 'traditional costume' is a sushi chef outfit with geta sandals and all.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Also Callie likes catfish burgers and Marie likes hot dogfish. Also for Kelp Dome Callie says "Hey, did you know that when Gramps was a kid, there was no such thing as vegetables?!" and Marie says "Man... That is SO LUCKY!" meaning Inklings back in the day were pretty much carnivores only. Another dialogue has Marie saying that she rather eat a Splattershot than vegetables.

Are squids in real life obligate carnivores as in they will slowly die of malnourishment if not given a meat source as solely vegetable sources will not sustain them?

Superjustinbros

Pro Squid
NNID
AozoraJustin
All this discussion about Inklings/Octolings eating each other and no one has made any reference to the two girls serving as the mascots of the two sides.

probably would lead to redundancy considering we already have a "Squid Girl" outfit, even though that dress looks kinda cool.

Newtonjar

Senior Squid
I feel like Japan's splatfests have simultaneously the most creative and least creative themes. I mean it's just food, but it's so fitting in splatoon.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So, does this confirm that Inklings & Octolings eat each other? Hooray for cannibalism!
Not cannibalism if different species.

An anon on /v/ tried translating the Splatfest Japan announcement from Inkopolis Plaza.

Callie: This time, it's another straight forward splatfest, without any complaints it's squid!

Marie: I prefer octopus I think…

Callie: Eh? but there are many types of squids? such as Shin Ika, Kou Ika and Sode Ika! (I think she is referring to squid type sushis)

Marie: Octopuses also have many types such as Takowasa, Tako Rice… (not sure about the last part)

Callie: Wait a minute! Those aren't sushi types.

Marie: Tako Oden is good.

Callie: Gunununu… If that's the case then for squids there are squid somen, squid rings and ikayaki!

Marie: Oh yeah I forgot about Takoyaki

Callie: Mu…! Marie, not fair! I want to eat Takoyaki too!

Marie: So it's decided then? (Not sure about this part either)

Last edited by a moderator:

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Shame we won't get an equivalent fest. oh well.

If i had to choose between the two, I'd have to go octopus. It has a slightly sweeter flavor, is less chewy when raw, and can be eaten pretty easily when cooked right. Squid is great, but it seems no one near me prepares it right, unless it's calamari rings.

mishabird

Inkling
NNID
Mishabird
i'd have to go for octopus, seeing as i dont think i've ever eaten squid.... i'm gonna bet that octopus wins in japan

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
After recently trying out calamari at a local Italian restaurant and thinking it tastes better than octopus, I'm going for squid. Squid team, don't fail me now!

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
Ugh, I wish I could be doin' this Splatfest. *flops over*
I would love to doodle so many pics of Callie being a murderess. 'ovo'
BUT WE GET CARS AND PLANES! >:V
Like for reaaaaal, I would be just as passionate to help make that team win like I was with Team Art.
I wonder who's gonna win though! Who's popular? Who's going to have the most squibs?

I MUST KNOW IF SQUIDPAI WON OR NOT.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I MUST KNOW IF SQUIDPAI WON OR NOT.
To be honest, your obsession is starting to turn borderline creepy.
Not even going to try to explain why it's the wrong call in the first place.

Last edited:

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
My favorite of the classic, traditional sushi is squid nigiri with an ooba leaf (though I don't know if shrimp crunch rolls are traditional or not.) Both of the sushi depicted here is nigiri, and I would pick the squid nigiri over the octopus nigiri any time.

Now, if we're talking about squid nigiri over takoyaki, that's a different story.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Welp.

So far, it seems that Team Squid Sushi's going to win this by sheer numbers alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom