NEXT JAPANESE SPLATFEST CONFIRMED

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Manzai comedy is such an acquired taste. Then again, how I feel about the manzai routine is probably how Japanese people, by and large, feel about American stand-up comedy.

I personally think it ruins some jokes in anime where someone does something goofy and another character yells about how absurd it is. It's basically explaining the joke.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
I think this is the first time that blue was used in a Splatfest. Usually, the color opposing orange in Splatfests is cyan, but I guess now we might get to see the Inkling Girl being the boke to the Inkling Boy's tsukkomi.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There's more complex stuff, like the boke pretending to be stupid so he can make a fool of the tsukkomi.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
The teams are Team Boke and Team Tsukkomi, standing for the two roles in a manzai duo. In a manzai performance, the boke (funny man) will tell a story of some sort, then diverge into something nonsensical, upon which the tsukkomi (straight man) will hit the boke with something (usually a paper fan) while yelling at him or her, either about the story's sudden absurdity, about correcting the boke, or to get back on topic (or, uncommonly, something else).

Manzai's been around for hundreds of years, so there's been many different types and has increased in complexity and subjects since. It was also originally part of a New Year's Day celebration but is now a year-round thing, with stages all around Japan designed specifically for manzai. What I described above is the core of all manzai performances though.

Reactions: 1o2

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
The teams are Team Boke and Team Tsukkomi, standing for the two roles in a manzai duo. In a manzai performance, the boke (funny man) will tell a story of some sort, then diverge into something nonsensical, upon which the tsukkomi (straight man) will hit the boke with something (usually a paper fan) while yelling at him or her, either about the story's sudden absurdity, about correcting the boke, or to get back on topic (or, uncommonly, something else).

Manzai's been around for hundreds of years, so there's been many different types and has increased in complexity and subjects since. It was also originally part of a New Year's Day celebration but is now a year-round thing, with stages all around Japan designed specifically for manzai. What I described above is the core of all manzai performances though.
aaaaaaaah ty. That makes so much more sense.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
This is adorable. ;w;
POOR CALLIE SQUIDPAI BEING SMACKED FOR TRYIN' TO TELL A JOKE. POOR BAB!
But no really- this is cute.
I wonder who's gonna win?
I think the Team Boke will be in popularity and Team Tsukkomi will possibly

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Curious which will be more popular- could go either way. Being humerous, but also stupid, or being smart, but also too serious.

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
All I can think about is Takeshi's Castle/MXC. I'm really jealous of this splatfest.

When will EU get something cool like this or Transformers?

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
So it's Callie vs. Marie.
Without a doubt.

Ugh, i hate that a significant portion of america will think of MXC (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge) when they finally get the Bokken/Tsukkomi trope.
All I can think about is Takeshi's Castle/MXC. I'm really jealous of this splatfest.

When will EU get something cool like this or Transformers?
RIGHT as i typed this out you called it, lol.

UnnecessaryTodd

Full Squid
NNID
UnnecessaryTodd
I'm actually Australian and we got Takeshi's Castle ages ago, a fair few years before MXC too. I preferred it.

I would totally be Team Boke.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
True Visual example of the theme, and Callie/Marie is really accurate for what they would act like in modern time.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Without a doubt.

Ugh, i hate that a significant portion of america will think of MXC (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge) when they finally get the Bokken/Tsukkomi trope.
I highly doubt they're going to use the manzai theme for the American version, ever. It's not the cultural staple like it is in Japan. (Similarly, I don't think Japan will ever get Hot Dogs vs. Marshmallows, for instance as marshmallows are kind of niche and hot dogs are mostly the realm of 7-Eleven there.)

Madda

Inkling
NNID
Madda
Takeshi's Castle (MXC) was so good. Madda used to watch it when Madda was a kid (which probably wasn't a good idea).

NA will probably get something dumbed down than Japan or EU. Like Socks vs Sandals or something.

inb4 Ice Cream vs Candy Bars

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom