Next Splatfest: Flight or Invisibility, Time to Choose!

Which team do plan to support?

• Team Flight!

Votes: 62 62.0%
  • Team Invisibility!

Votes: 38 38.0%

• Total voters

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
As for me, personally, Even ignoring the above effects, I feel like flight would be more fun to have. There's nothing I'd really want to use invisibility for.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Tough one. Unless it's as "perfect" as Sombra's invisibility hack, including your gear AND clothing I can't really see myself running around naked, lol. You'd be the best at hide-and-seek, sniping, infiltration... unless infrared-sensors can still pick up your presence, that is. :|
At the end of the day I'd probably chose flight because it fits better with my personality and seems way more fun (also, easy travel).

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
You know, a lot of people are describing flight as easy long distance travel... but wouldn't you get tired? Flying takes a ton of energy- just ask the birds. Also, you could theoretically walk across the country, but that doesn't stop you from paying for travel.

Even so, flying would still probably be faster than walking or running.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I'm not talking long-distance as in "Oh sure I'll just fly over to [enter any country that's 500+km away] " but you do save a lot on shorter distances (say, anything within 20km seems fairly doable). Now, there's no further information given. Flight using wings? Magic? Also, I'm pretty sure you could train and "level up" your flight skill, so to speak. But believe me I'm not completely naive. I'd already be happy if I could get that one jar of pickles down from the top shelf without having to get a chair. (I'm only 165cm tall and somehow, most furniture around here is made for people around 180cm or taller *grumbles*)

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
I'm not talking long-distance as in "Oh sure I'll just fly over to [enter any country that's 500+km away] " but you do save a lot on shorter distances (say, anything within 20km seems fairly doable). Now, there's no further information given. Flight using wings? Magic? Also, I'm pretty sure you could train and "level up" your flight skill, so to speak. But believe me I'm not completely naive. I'd already be happy if I could get that one jar of pickles down from the top shelf without having to get a chair. (I'm only 165cm tall and somehow, most furniture around here is made for people around 180cm or taller *grumbles*)
Fair enough.

swimmingknife

Semi-Pro Squid
A lot of people have been bringing up having to be naked to use invisibility as a downside, but I actually don't mind that so much. Maybe it's just because I live in a place that gets really intolerably hot during summer, but I kind of like the idea of being able to go out and do things without having to wear clothes. Obviously it wouldn't be possible to do it if the stuff you need to do involves dealing with people, but for smaller stuff it would be pretty handy. I could go to the mailbox and back without my clothes getting soaked through with sweat, for instance.

There's also the fact that invisibility would, at least in theory, make you immune to sunburn, which is a pretty nice trick when you live beneath a hole in the ozone layer.

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
... but wouldn't you get tired? Flying takes a ton of energy- just ask the birds.
On the flip side, becoming invisible can be a really painful process - just ask Kevin Bacon. =S

Agreed with the above poster though - not having to wear clothing while doing stuff outside is a comfy benefit to invisibility. In a sense, that does give both sides their own practicalities. Interesting to note, should either power malfunction midway through using it, I'd rather be caught several blocks from home in my birthday suit than caught several thousand meters above home in my drop-like-a-stone suit. xD

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Let's see...

Invisibility: I can go creep mode, and watch you, while you sleep.
Flight: I can go creep mode, and watch you, while you sleep.

Tough choice. Tough choice.

Other than questionable acts of heroism and villainy both are capable of, I can still travel and have adventures using either. One just grants me the perk of quick/fast travel while the other let's me skip random encounters and unwanted dialogue.

Tough choice. Tough choice.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I like to think that... being invisible is like not existing to anybody else, you feel your legs as you walk, but people could pass right through you and never notice a thing. Also, wearing clothes would make them invisible/non-existant too. If I were invisible, the main thing I would use it for is taking walks in the middle of the night. xD
And about flight, in my mind it would not be tiring one bit! *idealistic... I guess* *^.^*

Globin347

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThePowerPigeon
I like to think that... being invisible is like not existing to anybody else, you feel your legs as you walk, but people could pass right through you and never notice a thing. Also, wearing clothes would make them invisible/non-existant too. If I were invisible, the main thing I would use it for is taking walks in the middle of the night. xD
And about flight, in my mind it would not be tiring one bit! *idealistic... I guess* *^.^*
I think you're taking some liberties with the nature of the powers, but It doesn't really matter... Anyway, invisibility as you describe it would be pretty cool, but also pretty physically impossible... more like becoming a ghost than invisibility.

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I think you're taking some liberties with the nature of the powers, but It doesn't really matter... Anyway, invisibility as you describe it would be pretty cool, but also pretty physically impossible... more like becoming a ghost than invisibility.
Myeah, in a way I s'pose... but you wouldn't be dead. :D As these are both super powers completely unattainable to a human in the first place (at least in 2017 ;)), it's all just dreams and fantasies of course, but I like to look at flight and invisibility in the best light possible for both sides. :3

Miyako

Retro Squid
NNID
Cborne
Switch Friend Code
SW-3362-3097-1624
I personally want to pick flight, as i think it would be more interesting to be able to go anywhere. Using invisibility to say sneak on a plane or something to accomplish the same thing would be novel for a while but invisible doesn't mean you're inaudible, and I would probably get caught doing that stuff somehow (and imagine how weird that would be).

Despite me wanting to pick flight though, pretty much all of my friends are picking invisibility, which makes the choice hard for me. Do I abandon my principles to have more fun with friends or go it alone? I still haven't really made up my mind on that.

SillySocks

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8373-4160-3827
Despite me wanting to pick flight though, pretty much all of my friends are picking invisibility, which makes the choice hard for me. Do I abandon my principles to have more fun with friends or go it alone? I still haven't really made up my mind on that.
Well, here's the thing: if you pick Team Flight, you wouldn't have to worry about seeing your friends' disappointed expressions...

...because they'll be invisible to you...

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Man, y'all make a pretty good case for flight. I may just change my mind and side with Team Flight yet. Even though I can still imagine being more content with nigh-perfect camouflage.

See, that's the thing: when I think of ways to use invisibility, the first thing that comes to mind is as a last-resort defense option. Like, if I'm in the wrong part of town one night and I have to run away from a bunch of hoodlums. Had I the option to vanish, all I'd need to do is strip down and hide behind a backalley dumpster, wait for them to clear out, and then go about the rest of my evening.
Or, say a guy decides to break into my house on a different night. Then all I need to do is cloak up and wait for the right moment to get the jump on 'im with a bat. Saves me the trouble of having to hide first, as well as enabling me to avoid direct confrontation. The coward's way out? Perhaps, but ****, I don't wanna chance ending up on the wrong end of a gun.

...even the unofficial team leader seems to view invisibility as more a means to an end, so I guess the choice must become a moral one as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom