• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Nintendo is Threatening Tournaments!

Tribow

Inkster Jr.

Recently, Nintendo has posted very restrictive guidelines for how community tournaments can be run. You can read the guidelines in detail at the link above, but the main takeaway is that these restrictions will severely injure tournaments in the future if these rules are followed.

Tournament organizers are planning to continue running tournaments as they always have to see what Nintendo's response will be.

What can we as a community do about this? Well, we can't be quiet. We have to make a huge stink about it the moment Nintendo shuts down a tournament for breaking these awful guidelines. The future looks rough, but it ain't over until the community gives up so don't give up!

briank913

Pro Squid
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
I think we should first wait to see just how grievous this guideline is in practice first. On paper, it's mostly horrendous but translation to real life can still yield different results.

I've seen videos from KenKnows, Squid School, and ProChara about this. Chara in particular is saying be ready to back the TOs and push back as necessary. But I think it'll be good to wait first.

Cephalobro

I agree that it's better to wait and see. Besides, some of these rules are more than reasonable. A tournament in which a large majority will watch isn't a place for ideologies of any kind.

Rules that limit what organizers can do are very necessary to stop the few bad apples from taking things too far.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
As someone who has done a little bit of behind the scenes work volunteering for FGC events, I can tell you that these rules are straight up impossible to comply with.

A hard cap of 200 entrants hard capped at $20 entry fees means a maximum of $4000 possible to cover the event's costs, and that's only if the event hits cap. No event that hosts 200 players can be run that cheaply, that's just insane. I don't know what Nintendo thinks venues cost, but, uh, no. Don't think smaller events can scale down either, because if they're getting less than 200 players then they're getting a lot less than this $4000 maximum.

What's even worse is that they've strictly forbid any other means of covering costs. The above doesn't actually matter all that much because entry fees alone have never been close to enough to fund tournaments anyway. The real money comes from sponsors, which Nintendo is now banning. Those Red Bull logos plastered on every stream might be single-handedly keeping fighting game tournaments alive! If you ask TOs to choose between the sponsors they are dependent on to make the event possible in the first place or including Nintendo games in their lineup, the Nintendo games are getting dropped.

Not allowed to sell food either, and artists and other vendors are also banned. So I guess players just don't get to eat while they're there, I gotta compete on an empty stomach? And I don't get to pick up some nice souvenirs from all the booths typically set up at what can really be described as a convention that also happens to host a few brackets. That's a good way to suck the soul out of events, thanks.

And then they want tournaments to provide a public audit to prove they're losing money. I'll tell you right now that isn't necessary, every tournament is losing money right now. We're lucky to have TOs that are willing to eat some cost to make these events possible, they know they're not going into this to make a profit, but Nintendo is aggressively asking them to bankrupt themselves as quickly as possible.

There are so many other problems beyond this, but I don't have the energy to go point by point on everything else. This is just the easiest bit of napkin math I can point out.

The only hope is that the largest supermajors can negotiate a license for more realistic terms. But that's not something you can expect every event to be able to get, and any event that cannot strike a better deal simply can't exist. Perhaps small locals can just fly under the radar and hope this won't be enforced towards them, but it's the mid-size events that are likely to be completely screwed. Expect most multi-game events to just drop anything Nintendo from their lineup, even ones that potentially could try to negotiate a license may not feel it worth bothering. Easier to stick to running games that do not have batshit insane publishers.

Last edited:

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
This will heavily backfire in Nintendo's face just like their Content Creators program did. All TOs have to do is drop all things Nintendo from their lineups and Nintendo heavily loses in this case. Especially when it comes to larger events. They need tournaments in order for some of their franchises to even be relevant in the first damn place. Smash Bros especially.

Nintendo needs to get their head out of their ***** and stop attacking the communities that have given them relevance for the past 134 years (yes Nintendo is that old). Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
They need tournaments in order for some of their franchises to even be relevant in the first damn place. Smash Bros especially.
The sad reality is that Nintendo does not need us, at all. We are but a tiny sliver of their overall sales, we're not where the money is. Nintendo can screw us over because we do not matter to them.

SacredWarrior

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SacredWarrior88
Switch Friend Code
SW-5006-3355-6621
The sad reality is that Nintendo does not need us, at all. We are but a tiny sliver of their overall sales, we're not where the money is. Nintendo can screw us over because we do not matter to them.
No company likes to lose money, exposure, or good graces no matter how small. If Nintendo went back on their Content Creators program, they can (and will) go back on this. The competitive community may be a small number in terms of sales but it's a very loud and active number and that's what matters the most. If Nintendo doubles down on this after all the backlash they get from both big and small tournaments, it'll be the biggest mistake they ever make. Never underestimate the power of the consumer.

Forma

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Forma1
Switch Friend Code
SW-3994-7331-0318
This video is worth a watch - it's a lawyer's take on the subject.

Gab1bb0

Inkling
NNID
Emii900
Switch Friend Code
SW-3358-8459-2590
While I agree with some rules (no ideologies, players should feel safe, no gambling, protect health safety and dignity of participants...) the whole principle that I have to ask permission to organize a tournament using console and games which people already paid for is idiotic, it's like Toyota or Honda threatening to sue people who modifies their cars or uses them to have some fun on a mountain pass.
While I agree with Nintendo in not wanting Splatoon to become an ultra sweatfest like Starcraft or LoL attracting mostly "wannabe progamers" and driving away more relaxed players (or people who plays competitive but still doesn't treat it like a job but as fun) the market is already evolving in that direction organically (millionarie eSports tournaments are disappearing for most games because they are no longer financially sustainable and now most gaming tournaments are for enthusiasts) so they could just let things going as they are without imposing guidelines which are just going to further alienate fans and to make the organization of even small and relaxed tournaments harder.

This summer I competed in a touring Mario Kart tournament which involved about 100 players in 8 qualifing stages around my region and then had half-finals and finals during a videogame festival in the second biggest city of my region, it was a pretty relaxed environment which put together gamers of various stages of life and skills (there were players from 7 years old accompained by their parents to 20+ years old which ranged from casual to competitive) and where I got to know many people and to have fun even if I wasn't that good. In theory this should be the fun for which Nintendo stands for (at least if you read some of their public statements) but this small "community" tournament would have been hard or impossible to organize without sponsors (and some of those set up a booth to sell event merchandaise and "nerd" stuff like Pokèmon cards and plushies) and a venue which got to sell food, soft drinks and beer.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
While I agree with Nintendo in not wanting Splatoon to become an ultra sweatfest like Starcraft or LoL attracting mostly "wannabe progamers" and driving away more relaxed players
This is a very strange take. The existence of a competitive scene does not affect anyone who does not want to compete in it. No one's forcing casual players to enter competitive events.

Gab1bb0

Inkling
NNID
Emii900
Switch Friend Code
SW-3358-8459-2590
This is a very strange take. The existence of a competitive scene does not affect anyone who does not want to compete in it. No one's forcing casual players to enter competitive events.
I don't have anything against competitive gaming, in fact I'd love to have more time and energy to dedicate to competitive Splatoon and Smash.

Said that I don't like professional gaming or eSports because I believe that some hobbies should stay recreational rather than being "money makers" and adding big sums of money to the equation automatically makes these less relaxed for everyone. I don't want to see Splatoon community corrupted by betting scandals, doping or cheating (which still happens sometimes but it would become more wisespread and generate far more drama when people plays for big prizes) or to see 12 years old Splatoon players slaving away 16 hours daily in "clubhouses" as South Korean eSports players does.

I believe that between high profile gaming companies who currently is striking the better balance between fun and competition is The Pokèmon Comany with their "Play! Pokèmon" leagues and their International and World Championships: at any level, from the neighborhood league to the World Championships, events are structured to offer fun and socialization to players of any skill while giving the opportunity to who wants to compete more seriously to do it. There are prices which are nice but not life changing so at the end of the day almost everyone still treats it as play (contributing to a friendly and relaxed atmosphere) and not as work.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
As much as I hate to say it, I hope somebody makes a Splatoon clone that attracts a large amount of the playerbase and actually makes a dent in Nintendo's profits (and Foamstars isn't it). I am beyond sick of dealing with their incompetency for the better part of a decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom