• Splatterpunks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Judd Dredd

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • The Squidiots

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Pain & Puffering

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tentacle Difficulties (no relation to Squidboards' own identically-named team)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zwei

Full Squid
NNID
ZweiMC

I saw this coming but nobody believed me or acknowledged the prediction. This works kinda as a quazi-lan and now local tournaments can be held easily. We had this the whole time yet nobody was clever enough to think of this. My internet is 8 times stronger than the recommended minimum, and venues with strong internet can now run this with minimal lag. Anyone else hyped for local tourneys?

Edit: Here is a cheap, workable, 8-port switch that gets good reviews on many sites: http://www.walmart.com/ip/28540253?...37264671&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=83993020031&veh=sem

Last edited:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Well, that was an epic victory for their Tentacle Difficulties! Not only did they win in the first Rainmaker series, but they also defended their prowess when they had to do the rematch. I gotta say that's a sweet way to win, especially since it easily looked as if though The Squidiots could defeat them for the title.

Anyway, I should go ahead and put the archived video into the OP.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So I watched the Turf Wars matches on youtube (I might catch on to the rest later), and they made me wonder why no teams had some sort of point-defense player in a mode that's all about area control. It may just be me since that's how I play all of the time, but it gave me the feeling that most of the matches seemed more about "who pushes harder" instead of "who controls more Turf" o_O

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
So I watched the Turf Wars matches on youtube (I might catch on to the rest later), and they made me wonder why no teams had some sort of point-defense player in a mode that's all about area control. It may just be me since that's how I play all of the time, but it gave me the feeling that most of the matches seemed more about "who pushes harder" instead of "who controls more Turf" o_O
I though the same thing early on, but I later realized that that would require a level of control that would be almost impossible to maintain. You'd have to ensure that you hold the area without dying, because one death would completely give up control.

It also wouldn't change the fact that controling the area is pointless up until the last 30 seconds since you could hold the area the whole game, but if they take it near the end it still counts as them controlling the area on the score board. And if you lose one area near the end the neighboring areas would be at heavy risk of being flanked and also captured. It would ultimately come down to who screws up first... which is already how it works.

The first 80% of inking Turf War will count for around 20% of the final score while the final 20% of the inking counts for 80%. There really isn't a way around that. Which is the main problem with using the mode for competitive play.

Last edited:

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I though the same thing early on, but I later realized that that would require a level of control that would be almost impossible to maintain. You'd have to ensure that you hold the area without dying, because one death would completely give up control.

It also wouldn't change the fact that controling the area is pointless up until the last 30 seconds since you could hold the area the whole game, but if they take it near the end it still counts as them controlling the area on the score board. And if you lose one area near the end the neighboring areas would be at heavy risk of being flanked and also captured. It would ultimately come down to who screws up first... which is already how it works.

The first 80% of inking Turf War will count for around 20% of the final score while the final 20% of the inking counts for 80%. There really isn't a way around that. Which is the main problem with using the mode for competitive play.
I might be alone on this one, but on my games I rarely die lately with this strategy while keeping a high turfing score; it's mostly a matter of positioning and knowing where the Inkzooka users are (especially since the Kraken hitbox change; I can now reliably fight them back with a Heavy Splatling). If I can pull that off with random players without any form of comunication or coordination, imagine what an actual team that can talk to each other in real-time could do o_O. In any case once the defender gets splatted while guarding something like the middle area or the pathway that leads to spawn, they can just take care of the agressor on their way back (especially if they had Haunt equipped, which works as a "Panic!" warning for the whole team). That's also part of the reason why I stick to the Heavy Splatling; it can take down the enemies pretty quickly and cover up their mess even quicker

I might be getting a bit too technical on the casual gamemode, but I still find it odd that no one tried this method, especially on maps where I've had the most success with it (aside of the new map)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom