• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

No, you're not carrying bad teams, you're throwing.

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
Yea, I definitely agree there should be better text options.

FirestormNeos

Senior Squid
NNID
FirestormNeos
If you are 14-2 and are holding the enemy lookout on Underpass, and then die to a splat bomb you didn't see and then lose because the other team pushes into mid and takes your team out, your team didn't lose, you threw. If you are constantly keeping the point capped while your team is off doing whatever, and you get flanked, your team didn't lose, you threw. Any time you hold some important position on the map and you lose that position for nothing, your team didn't lose, you threw. The more important the point you're holding, the more vigilant you need to be.

Naturally, I'm lumping a lot of A-rank players into this collective whom I would agree are not great at the game. But the fact is, someone throwing an important position loses games far more than bad teams do, and I'd rather have a player who barely pulls their weight than one who gives the other team free mids. Bad teams are a fact of team shuffling, but that's the point; it's random. You can't be carried every game. For each bad team you're on, you'll be a godlike team as well. It's your job to not screw it up for the rest of your team.
So if holding important positions is not what I'm supposed to do, what am I supposed to be doing in a match?

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
So if holding important positions is not what I'm supposed to do, what am I supposed to be doing in a match?
I was actually gonna say the same thing there.

Perhaps he means that the TEAM threw. You didn't, but the team did.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
you misinterpreted his post. He's saying if you're going to hold something Vital, you need to not die because it's very important to hold. If you do die and throw that away when you should have been able to hold it, then you threw away that advantage and contributed to the loss.

FirestormNeos

Senior Squid
NNID
FirestormNeos
you misinterpreted his post. He's saying if you're going to hold something Vital, you need to not die because it's very important to hold. If you do die and throw that away when you should have been able to hold it, then you threw away that advantage and contributed to the loss.
Okay, then. Here, lemme restate my question: What do I do if I don't have faith in my survival skills but don't want to be the blame for the team losing?

K7Sniper

Pro Squid
NNID
K7Sniper
If he is the only one trying to defend a vital place, how is it that he is the one who threw?

I think the supposedly misinterpreted post is wrong in their assumption.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Good lord you're this butthurt you made a passive aggressive thread towards me. You're so childish.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
apologies to the rest of the viewers of this thread for this drama

Good lord you're this butthurt you made a passive aggressive thread towards me. You're so childish.
if you insist

I actually made it because a lot of people, not just you, are complaining about their teams while sitting in the Bs, and a lot of them quote their k/d and the fact that someone on their team was throwing.

but since you're now convinced I have it in for you (when in fact I'm just tired of your repeated complaints in spite of me offering you advice where I can), I guess I can't expect to reason with you anymore. I think it's best if we agree to keep some distance between each other.

If it means anything, I can attest for him.

The whole "git gud" shtick is laughable considering that I see the OP's team losing every time I click on his stream.
I mean if you've been going there for the past couple days you probably saw me throwing hard with a charger because I don't know how to use it properly (and yesterday idk what was happening, I was off my game in every regard imaginable), and before that, I was still learning what works on what maps. when I actually go tryhard I carry, but I care more about learning than winning since I can hit A+ any time I want but the best time to learn is always before people have preconceptions

as soon as I learned how I should be playing I moved on to something I didn't know because I want to get better, which means I'm going to lose a lot

and 'get good' is only bad advice if you do not provide reasoning behind it, which I always aim to do. if I do say 'get good' or anything to that effect without any qualification, feel free to call me out on it and I will elaborate as best I can.

EDIT:
Okay, then. Here, lemme restate my question: What do I do if I don't have faith in my survival skills but don't want to be the blame for the team losing?
if you don't want to be the reason the team lost, then you're better off holding a safer position that's a little less effective. that, or you take the position and just accept that if you die at the wrong time your team will lose mid. I mean, you have to learn how to hold important positions some time or another. if you're the kind of person who is willing to take vital positions but also is willing to accept responsibility if you fail, then that's great. I'm directing that at people who take these positions, do well in them for a while, and then lose them for some reason or another, and then blame their team for their problems.

Last edited:

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
apologies to the rest of the viewers of this thread for this drama

if you insist

I actually made it because a lot of people, not just you, are complaining about their teams while sitting in the Bs, and a lot of them quote their k/d and the fact that someone on their team was throwing.

but since you're now convinced I have it in for you (when in fact I'm just tired of your repeated complaints in spite of me offering you advice where I can), I guess I can't expect to reason with you anymore. I think it's best if we agree to keep some distance between each other.
There's nothing more convincing than being borderline harassed by someone because of valid complaints. You're making broad statements and ignoring facts; pretending people don't understand how the game works or the mission objectives. If you play on a weak team, you are highly likely to lose map control if you get ganged by the other team. It forces you to try and make plays and stay within the area around the zone and prevents you from flanking or other necessary plays. If you're the only one on the team trying to keep control you're more than likely to be flanked yourself and it can become a very vicious circle.

My issue with you is you like to repeat the same rhetoric over and over and unable to follow or display it yourself, and experience the same frustrations as I and many other do while streaming (there's many instances of this if you don't remember and would like to watch your own archives). You can only do so much for a team and if they're not up to snuff it's irrelevant how skilled you are. I myself have been in many situations where I killed 3-4 people at once and my team is nowhere to be seen to take control back of the zone/s and I have to do it myself. The problem is you stick your fingers in your ears and pretend it's not real when you're on peak time hours with Japanese players, who know their head from their ***** in ranked. If you talk to enough players, lurk enough, or watch broad numbers of streams, you'll see that it's easy to lose games because your team is not helping.

ZeroParadox

Senior Squid
NNID
ZeroParadox
A lot of valid points are made in this thread. But I think it doesn't recognize that the complaint against randoms isn't that one expects to be carried or expects to carry every game. The main issue is that there are some teams that are kind of... missing the point.

Lately I've had a lot of games where I haven't felt "up to scratch" (most notably on Arowana with a paintbrush, gotta learn how to flank more effectively there.) But I've had plenty of matches where I was solo capping or holding off people and died, and my first thought was not "WHERE WAS MY TEAM" but rather "DAMN, SHOULD'VE JUMPED/ESCAPED/THREW GRENADE/HELD IT" etc. I'll be the first one to point the finger at myself in situations like these.

At the same time, there are games where I'm looking at my team in sheer amazement. To not tell any stories, there will simply be times when I as a single person am incapable of performing any action until my team makes a move. Why? Usually because I do not have the weapon to solve a problem, or because the other team is working extremely well, and my team is allowing themselves to be face crushed.

Lately, I have noticed this happening a lot less in ranked. But that doesn't mean bad players don't exist. You concede as much, and I understand that if you are holding a key point, and you fail to keep it, that usually leads to the point in the match where something horrible happens - if not losing the game itself right there, than the point.

But I think it's fair to say there's a difference between "throwing the game" and "I wasn't good enough to do the work of four people".

Like I said before, this kind of logic is silly. While one extremely good player is nice, even he/she is going to fall under the weight of FOUR extremely good players. I'm not saying everyone has to reach the height of squid perfection, but this whole "just get good" attitude doesn't solve every problem you're going to have in a game about team play and map control. If my smartest option is to not do anything because the team isn't good enough, and the option you provide is "just get good enough to do everything"...

Sounds like carrying to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom