• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Not Feeling Like You're _ Rank

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Lately, I haven't been feeling like I belong at A+, borderline S. Obviously, I've won enough to get there but.... my gameplay just doesn't FEEL like A+. Honestly, I feel as though I belong at B+. I often see posts on here and Miiverse saying "I'm stuck on _" , "I'll be _ forever", and so on. I've never had that problem. It doesn't feel right to me though since I feel like I didn't really EARN the A+ bevause I didn't go through that struggle a lot of people have. I don't know. Maybe I'm just getting worked up over nothing.

Does anyone else feel this way about their Rank?

Edit: There really isn't a rank of S-? Huh... you'd think there would be.

Last edited:

Newtonjar

Senior Squid
I would honestly tell you to not really worry about it that much. Just keep playing the game more and try to improve your ranking might rise and fall but as long as you are playing the game and having a good time your rank doesn't really matter that much

Aerotop

Inkling
Not me, I'm still in B- hell
Although I can see why you'd feel that way.

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
I straddle S and A+ and its a true test of endurance in my stature. I have the most irratic games, some I'm a god, some you might think I just got out of tutorial.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
My play varies a lot, too. Some days, especially when I'm well-rested, I play truly awesome (that's how I managed to get a win streak from A to S going two weeks ago), but on other days I can't hit a single enemy for my life. That's why I would like to have an option to play un-ranked SZ/TC/RM without having to switch to my alt account.

That said I really don't think my average play classifies as S rank currently. I just made it there on a good day and am able to carry my own weight well enough to stay there (43 points at the moment). S rank in general feels like the melting pot of all different skill levels, as it's so hard to rank up to and hold S+. Maybe the addition of an S- rank could've helped a little.

I would honestly tell you to not really worry about it that much.
^This

Reactions: 1o2

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Sometimes I watch some Splatoon players who are S, and their play is truly cringe worthy. They look straight out of C-. For me personally I feel like i'm pretty much where I should be which is S. Some days though, I'm playing like garbage because of that damn Asian connection gets me so salty. Oh, you die from a kraken that isn't even near you? That sniper's line didn't even cross over you, but you exploded?

But honestly don't feel bad if you don't feel like your level of play is where it should be for your rank. Just keep playing, and eventually you will either be booted out of your rank(hopefully not) or you will just be good enough to compete with the rest of the players in that rank. There are some S rated players that I've seen not get a single kill during Tower Control.

Oh, and S minus doesn't exist.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I got carried out of B+ so now I'm in A-.

I'm actually too scared to play Ranked now because I feel like I'll be dropped out of A-.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I don't want to sound arrogant, but I definitely feel like my S rank was earned. It took some time and effort to get there.

Don't confuse bad days on splatoon with not being A+. If you were good enough to get there you definitely deserve to be that rank.

Last edited:

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
I got carried out of B+ so now I'm in A-.

I'm actually too scared to play Ranked now because I feel like I'll be dropped out of A-.
Play it. Playing scared is only going to halt your rank and make you worse as a player. You gotta get out there and try, lose, and try again. That's honestly how I got to A+, and even though I thought I just got carried there, I adapted to the skill levels of the other A+ players pretty quickly and I've been stuck there ever since.

I honestly think I should be S, not A+. I always reach 96 or 94, then get matched up with a disconnect or a bad player (as in one who forgets the objective. Combat wise, everyone's pretty equal in A+.) This has happened to me multiple times and I'm really just sick of it lol. Just let me get to S pls ;~;

Ramble_On_Rose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Ramble_On_Rose
The very first time I got to A-, i didn't feel like i deserved it because the last 3 games i played leading up to my rank up, were 4v3 or super noob rooms. I felt like I got lucky. But if you can hold down a rank, I firmly believe you belong in that rank. I'm now almost A+ and I feel like i deserve every bit of it. With lag, disconnects, and random team set-ups, the game can be mean, but it works both ways, sometimes you win from these inconsistency's and sometimes you lose.

xCoCo

Inkling Commander
NNID
xCelsiusS
The very first time I got to A-, i didn't feel like i deserved it because the last 3 games i played leading up to my rank up, were 4v3 or super noob rooms. I felt like I got lucky. But if you can hold down a rank, I firmly believe you belong in that rank. I'm now almost A+ and I feel like i deserve every bit of it. With lag, disconnects, and random team set-ups, the game can be mean, but it works both ways, sometimes you win from these inconsistency's and sometimes you lose.
Also don't forget getting out of B is pretty hard. For some reason a lot of people struggle with it xp

Berentxo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Berentxo
I'm currently "stuck" at B or B- (I can't remember which, too much work and Splatfest, lol). Every time I play it seems like I go up really quickly, and then when I'm nearly there just get into a losing streak. It's not that I grow tired or sloppy, often I'll take a break the first time I lose and then go back to it, or leave it for another session when I'm nearly there.

However, and that's a big however, the thing with Splatoon is that it is as much a game of skill as it is a game of chance. Your teammates have a huge influence on how you progress in ranked mode. I'm not blaming my teammates or anything for staying where I am at the moment, but sometimes your skills and others' may be mismatched. We may all have speed-oriented gear and very little firepower, someone may have an excellent play style but you end up failing because it takes a bit too long to figure out what they are doing, or they are really trying hard to be your bodyguard but they can't figure out what you're actually doing (big issue in Rainmaker!). So a key part of my play style is quitting when I am in a team I can't figure out and retrying to get a better match, not necessarily with skilled players, but players I can work with as a team!

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
I posted this in the Define a Scrub Thread

"No. Randoms suck, and it IS a reason a lot of people aren't in S rank. I main the jr and it was hell just to get to A and then I'd always fall back down to B+
Eventually I realized it wasn't because I was bad but because I'm playing with bunch of fools. Support roles are NOT viable in randoms, Simply because you cannot communicate, the majority of players is out to do their own thing. So I started playing the ksr, .52 and tentatek and within two days I was in S rank. And oh boy is S rank freaking stupid. Out of all the ranks I've ever been in Nobody has ever ignored my Beakons as much as them. I would have all three of my beakons placed in different strategic places, and my teammates ( not just one game, about 85% of all my games ) would totally ignore the beakons instead opting to super jump to an enemy in combant, getting splatted and repeating their process. even when their super jump victim wasn't in combat, their teammate would run off looking for somebody to splat instead of guarding their landing indicator LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO. WHY IN THE WORLD ARE S-RANKED PLAYERS SO BAD AT BEING A GOOD TEAM???
My clan will get together every so often and do squad battles and when we do we kick butt, Not because we're necessarily the greatest but because we can diversify our team, and we have good communication and teamwork skills, so many times have we gone up against squad ACTUALLY 100% consisting of .52 gal decos,one full of .96's a few with 2 or 3 ksr, filling the rest in with tentateks. YES these weapons are good, But that doesn't mean you're going to win. That doesn't mean you can play like a braindead toddler. Those teams get demolished.
So yes the randoms system IS holding back a lot of players, of course I'm sure some of the ones who complain about having a bad team are actually the bad team contributing to the problems. But if you're stuck in a bad rank your options are to either condone your main and play with the top tier weapons, or find a clan you can do squad battles with, However clans look at your rank so this might even be difficult to do.

TL;DR randoms succ, get a clan, stop only playing high tiers. GUARD YOUR FREAKING TEAMMATES LANDING INDICATORS. Like seriously you're so much better off having more ALIVE members on the field. It's worth it.

Rant over"

Shroomsy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shroomsy
S is terrible and your ability to climb through it is really a measure of how good you are at 1v4s. As long as you played every mode and didn't wait for a favorable map rotation to ladder you're probably fine where you are.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
S is terrible and your ability to climb through it is really a measure of how good you are at 1v4s. As long as you played every mode and didn't wait for a favorable map rotation to ladder you're probably fine where you are.
1v4 because literally nobody on your team is going to be of any use. (hyperbole)

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that the point of this thread isn't discussing the state of Ranked Battles with random players. This thread probably exists for people to reflect upon their own abilities, and state whether they think they deserve their current rank.

Speaking of which, just hit S 30, and I don't think I should be here. I probably should be in the A/A+ range. As a charger main, I have lots of room for improvement. I could to improve my reaction time and accuracy, learn to strafe more often, and only recently have I considered optimizing my gear. And as a player in general, I need to push myself to learn new weapons, and learn to predict what other players are thinking, both my teammates and my foes.

In short, I think I'm going to lose my S rank very soon.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
I think I underestimated my abilities in ranked in the past. When I watched gameplay in streams of A+ players before the update, back when I was a C+, it looked like everyone was too skilled for me to ever get there. However, as of this post, I'm in the As, and I find myself hanging well with the others, even the Japanese players.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that the point of this thread isn't discussing the state of Ranked Battles with random players. This thread probably exists for people to reflect upon their own abilities, and state whether they think they deserve their current rank.

Speaking of which, just hit S 30, and I don't think I should be here. I probably should be in the A/A+ range. As a charger main, I have lots of room for improvement. I could to improve my reaction time and accuracy, learn to strafe more often, and only recently have I considered optimizing my gear. And as a player in general, I need to push myself to learn new weapons, and learn to predict what other players are thinking, both my teammates and my foes.

In short, I think I'm going to lose my S rank very soon.
S is one of the best ranks to improve your skill. Unlike all other ranks (excluding S+) you will only lose 5 points (usually) giving you plenty of games to lose before you lose your rank. Plus as a charger, usually you don't have much to worry about, if you are getting kills you are doing something right. Honestly I'm content if a sniper on my team goes 8-2/10-3 etc. But once you get to the higher tiers of S, you begin to lose more than 5, but you shouldn't worry about that if you just got into S.

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
S is one of the best ranks to improve your skill. Unlike all other ranks (excluding S+) you will only lose 5 points (usually) giving you plenty of games to lose before you lose your rank. Plus as a charger, usually you don't have much to worry about, if you are getting kills you are doing something right. Honestly I'm content if a sniper on my team goes 8-2/10-3 etc. But once you get to the higher tiers of S, you begin to lose more than 5, but you shouldn't worry about that if you just got into S.
At this point, I've already lost my S Rank. But honestly, that doesn't matter too much to me.

I'm not amazing with a charger, so I don't often go 8-2 or 10-3. Generally, I'll have a 1:1 ratio for k/d, because I'm really reckless and make rookie mistakes. Maybe one day, I'll learn and become better at the game. But at the moment, I'm pretty much playing Ranked Battles for fun.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
*sighs* Time for a little rant about myself here...

I feel like a B-B+ sometimes when I play when I'm an S. I HAVE BAD DAYS YA KNOW?!
OTHER TIMES I CAN REKT THE ENTIRE TEAM- and then other times, I get so rekt by the other team, I LOOK LIKE A NOOB LIKE HOLY-
It saddens me when I fail my team and then they look at me being an A+ (from before) or a S and seeing me fail so bad, they're like: "DID YOU LET YOUR 3 YEAR OLD SISTER/BROTHER (even though I'm an only child) PLAY THIS GAME OR SOMETHING?"
Sometimes, there are weapons that can screw me over super quick.
MOSTLY ROLLERS ARE A PROBLEM TO THIS BRUSHIE! THEY ALWAYS COME AFTER ME.

Hhhhh- I swear I can be good, I'm not a C player. ;-;
I worked hard for that S rank bruh. Of course with the help of my fam. (CuddleSqush Squad) And I'm telling you now, I'm sure we was not being carried the entire time. Like nah.

But to be honest, I make a lot of mistakes, and I mean A LOT from time to time. I know BETTER NOT TO SUPER JUMP TO MY TEAM MATE, BUT SOMETIMES I JUST DO IT AND THEN BOOM! INSTANT SPLAT FROM A INKSTRIKE, WAIL, CHARGER, OR ANYTHING REALLY!
Sometimes I don't think and chase after a person just to splat 'em and I ended up being splatted instead.
Sometimes I GET STUCK IN THE INK AND THEN CAN'T RUN AWAY AND THEN I'M BONED.
Other times when I'm on the tower, I TRY TO JUMP OFF TO SPLAT A PERSON BUT I JUMPED TOO SHORT AND FALL OFF INTO THE WATER AND I LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT-
I try to get a person who is far away enough and can splat me but I need to get closer to them to splat 'em and I made a horrible mistake.

...As a brush, I still have a ink-ton to learn on how to be sneaky and how to avoid blasters, chargers and rollers. =A=;
So being a S doesn't really mean much from time to time- and somedays you know... on those days, I wish to be playing casually in turf war but then it feels like a ranked battle and I look like I don't know how to play just because I wanted to have fun rather than being stressed out.

Anyways, pointless ramblin' over.

TL; DR: I make countless mistakes when playing this game while being a S rank and I feel like a B rank player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom