Octo expansion feedback so far.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Rankings aren’t really a fair comparison. A better example would be something like “we’re working on a series of 50 new maps that only Rank X players can play on!” In which case that would be stupid if they were making that many maps for that tiny group of players.
EDIT: Accidentally put my entire post in the quote, lol.

I don't like rank X because there's really no point to it. You don't get extra points for winning (it's the same as S+!), there's no rewards for getting in the Top 500, and the best players are there so each match is extra hard. It would be better if you DID get extra points for KO's and such (maybe like +4000 or 5000) and players who are in the Top 500 get extra cash or something.

Last edited:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Rankings aren’t really a fair comparison. A better example would be something like “we’re working on a series of 50 new maps that only Rank X players can play on!” In which case that would be stupid if they were making that many maps for that tiny group of players.
Except beating the Hidden Boss DOESN'T give you anything special as a rewards. A single piece of gear that mechanically, can be easily be replaced by another. Beating Octo Expansion's hidden boss really only gives you a small badge and bragging rights. Just as X rank basically is just bragging rights, there's no real mechanical advantage of being on the higher end of a ranking system. Maybe minor point gain differences, but it's mostly bragging rights.

If you aren't game to put your best foot forwards to get some bragging rights, don't complain that you can't get it.

Just as I and @Dark Sage Walker said earlier, it's kind of like a Kingdom Hearts secret boss, they're not meant to be beaten by any player, they're designed to be beaten by people willing to put in the work. While he brought up Sephiroth, I'd also like to inform you that Sephiroth is actually considered one of the easier secret bosses in the Kingdom Hearts series. Many secret bosses in BBS in particular are significantly more punishing.

Your only counter argument is that you can heal against Sephiroth, which is not a good one. Different games require different mechanics, but either way it isn't like you can't heal in Splatoon 2, it's called running away and waiting for your HP or armor to regen, which can be done during this fight. Not only that, the secret boss in Octo Expansion isn't necessarily some HP sponge where the battle is drawn out, Splatoon 2's mechanics make for quick confrontations, Inner Agent 3 requires the equivalent of 10 Octo Shot hits per phase (given Inner Agent 3 also heals overtime).

I appreciate the sentiment, but no, I gave up on it. Also, I want do want to make one thing clear for you, when I beat a super hard boss there is no thrill of victory or feeling of glory. Only the feeling of "I'm glad my suffering is finally over." Kind of like being stabbed repeatedly and then it finally stops. For me, it's only the relief of it finally being over. Or in this case, realizing that subjecting myself to that punishment wasn't fun and I'm a lot happier after giving up! Like I said, *if* they ever reduce the difficulty of that fight I'll try again, until then, I'm not going anywhere near it.
Then simply put. That's your problem, not the game's. The cycle of trial and conquest is the premise of most video games, both required and optional content. For many, the act of conquering adversity is vindicating. It just seems that you are not the many.

But all things considered, the secret boss is still completely optional content. Even within the context of Octo Expansion.

Last edited:

Khalith

Inkling
NNID
Khalith
Switch Friend Code
SW-2587-4373-9113
If this was kingdom hearts I’d have my inventory filled with elixirs. As far as the boss goes I tried to run away and heal when I was still trying but that slowdown you get when your health is critical makes it impossible to avoid his BS homing bombs since even being at the very edge of the explosion will kill you in that state.

I also noticed that the boss does regenerate hp which is what prevented me from getting him when I was still attempting it. But like I said, I’ve completely given up on it and won’t try again unless they reduce the difficulty in some way. If they never reduce the difficulty I don’t mind never beating the boss.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
Just as I and @Dark Sage Walker said earlier, it's kind of like a Kingdom Hearts secret boss, they're not meant to be beaten by any player, they're designed to be beaten by people willing to put in the work.
It's not really "work," it's skill. Sure, you can practice the fight over and over and memorize his patterns. Or you can just be really darn good at the game (DUDE beat it first try, blind).

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
It's not really "work," it's skill. Sure, you can practice the fight over and over and memorize his patterns. Or you can just be really darn good at the game (DUDE beat it first try, blind).
Having the skill is part of the work. Learn what to do, even on a first run.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Me personally and i'm pretty sure more people around here find the difficulty of OE just right. Levels will punish you if you screw up, but you shouldn't get brickwalled and even if you do there's the level skip function for you. There's a cost attached to it (you actually have to die a few times before the option is unlocked + no reward) but there you go. Even the G&K boys will be able to beat it.

Honestly the ticket cost is there to keep you actually playing levels and not have you repeatedly SD off the level to trigger the level skip on every level. In my opinion, getting the OE just to get playable octos+gear and nothing else is a waste of money. OE is a pretty fun DLC on it's own, difficult but not overwhelmingly so.

If you don't feel satisfaction from it there's a good chance you're just tilted. Just step away from the game and come back later.

Dewnose

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1493-3741-2812
On another note, does anyone know what happens if you run out of tickets? (Can’t look for myself, I’m at 90000 after beating it.)

the

Inkling Commander
On another note, does anyone know what happens if you run out of tickets? (Can’t look for myself, I’m at 90000 after beating it.)
I saw a vid of someone running out of tickets and pearl just buying them some more with her dad’s credit card. Only like 500 I think. I dunno if this happens every time you run out, or if different stuff can happen.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
You get some credits from Pearl and Marina but you then owe them a debt. Basically, you get a bail out. My roommate discovered this by being really bad at the game and getting rocked. Personally, I ended Octo Expansion with over 100,000 credits to spend on the vending machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom