Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
Ok folks. chill. This thread was originally about the octolings, but now it's much more than that. have you skimmed the history? i don't expect anyone to go back to the beginning, but if you do, its a damn chronicle.

we've talked about everything! we've had emotional highs, and downtrodden lows. we may be down now, but this thread is something much more than octolings... its a perfectly encapsulated representation of the squidboard community. So many people have come here to share opinions, laugh about the stupid stuff we guess about, and just read our chatter after a long day of, whatever they do.

I've been away due to my lack of octo hype, but please don't make the thread nothing but a negative place. we have something special. and even if we don't get octos for squidmas, we've had an insane time here. and in a way, this thread changed my life. i won't go into details, but it has.

I'm just genuinely excited for the content coming. and if nikki finds something in the data, well, that's just a cherry on top of the octo pie. I'm really happy for everyone participating here, and i can't wait for the maps to drop. so let's go new patch!

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
Ok folks. chill. This thread was originally about the octolings, but now it's much more than that. have you skimmed the history? i don't expect anyone to go back to the beginning, but if you do, its a damn chronicle.

we've talked about everything! we've had emotional highs, and downtrodden lows. we may be down now, but this thread is something much more than octolings... its a perfectly encapsulated representation of the squidboard community. So many people have come here to share opinions, laugh about the stupid stuff we guess about, and just read our chatter after a long day of, whatever they do.

I've been away due to my lack of octo hype, but please don't make the thread nothing but a negative place. we have something special. and even if we don't get octos for squidmas, we've had an insane time here. and in a way, this thread changed my life. i won't go into details, but it has.

I'm just genuinely excited for the content coming. and if nikki finds something in the data, well, that's just a cherry on top of the octo pie. I'm really happy for everyone participating here, and i can't wait for the maps to drop. so let's go new patch!
Dawwwww, the sentimentality is real! <3

Hard to believe this whole thing started out with some Japanese guys sticking scrolling pics of octopi on their website. Sounds really weird when you put it that way...

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Last edited:

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Yeah! Clearly, 5 million copies sold in Japan is the bare minimum needed for a game like Splatoon to remain profitable! Nintendo gave this new and untested team a budget of $300 million, not including localization, so they'd better hit that 5-million mark domestically! After all, Mario Kart 8 has already surpassed 15 million, and Super Mario Maker's pulled off 1 billion copies! 1 million copies in Japan? Pfft, that's like...Thomas Was Alone numbers or Papers, Please numbers.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Please people, stop mocking me. I'm just really upset with Nintendo right now for what they're doing with their IP's like Splatoon. You don't know how I'm feeling right now......
Mostly because we're not fully certain as to what the problem even is. We've gotten maps, weapons, gear, all for free over the months. What's so harmful about the current situation?

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Please people, stop mocking me. I'm just really upset with Nintendo right now for what they're doing with their IP's like Splatoon. You don't know how I'm feeling right now......
You're right, I was being a bit harsh. I apologize. I mean that, lol, don't take that as sarcasm. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I may disagree with it, but you can have it. I have no clue where the disappointment is coming from with all the awesome content that is coming out as of late, but that's just me and a couple others.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
You're right, I was being a bit harsh. I apologize. I mean that, lol, don't take that as sarcasm. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I may disagree with it, but you can have it. I have no clue where the disappointment is coming from with all the awesome content that is coming out as of late, but that's just me and a couple others.
So you're not being sarcastic about apologizing for once? Because I hear you don't apologize at all. If you really mean it this time, then I accept it, I guess.

Ikaheishi

Bobble-chan
Nintendo is a company that you don't run. Stop expecting them to bend over backwards to your high standards.
You mean to tell me Nintendo doesn't cater to Heroine of Squids?
Could've fooled me.
Normally I try to stay out of these things but these two posts disappoint and anger me. With what was written in them, they're uncalled for. Everyone here is equally deserves respect, no matter if you agree or disagree with their thoughts, opinions, and beliefs. Being on the world wide web, or any other protocol over the internet is not an excuse for such rude behavior. I honestly would expect to be officially warned or punished if I ever acted that way, regardless if whatever is posted is 'true' or not.

Now, regarding the dancing in the video as discussed the earlier posts, I'm pretty sure it's just the same dancing we see in the plaza in front of the cafe that's under the studio. But seeing it on the stages is kind of cute anyway. I'm more curious about that mix of Splattack!, though. Has it appeared anywhere else before?

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, much like with Smash, I never really cared too too much about playing as the Octolings, so I won't be too miffed if they don't become playable in Splatoon's lifetime. I can easily see them being considered for the sequels though (and believe you me, there will be one), so I wouldn't give up hope for the future.

And, to all of you who still hold out for them to appear in this game, just keep in mind that nothing is entirely set in stone.
And if there's one thing I learned from Smash, it's to never get your hopes up for something that "everyone wants." I kid.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
So no Octolings are confirmed? Gee...who could have seen that coming? I KNEW there wasn't anywhere near 6 months of work to do if they wanted to put them in. So my hunch about the model swapping was right too? Turns out actual basic knowledge on how game development works > fan hype and rumors.

They'll probably appear in the next game. Or you can crack your Wii U and model swap with the others if you don't mind running the risk of bricking it.

Silentium

Senior Squid
I know that having the Octolings would be pretty dope, but I had no doubt that they wouldn't be added in. I mean, let's face it, you beat them back during the single player campaign.

As others have said, maybe in a sequel they'll be playable.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I mean, they could still somehow be released. I doubt they'd add anything in this new patch, but it's VERY much possible. So I wouldn't count it out just yet.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
I'm sorry, but am I missing something? People are talking like the Octolings have been 100% de-confirmed, as if a Nintendo rep just came out and said "Sorry, no octopi." All we've officially learned since last night is...

1) The two maps which are probably the last ones are coming soon, after the 2.4 update
2) There are no plans for paid DLC (as I said in my previous post, who says the Octolings have to be paid? They wouldn't even take as much effort as a map or two, and we will have gotten eleven maps for free once these last two are out)
3) DLC is 99% probably ending in January

None of these things officially de-confirm the Octolings. Call me a fanboy if you want, but there's just too much evidence for them. Namely, the model for the things has been at least tweaked slightly in every single update (except some of the ones before 2.0). If you're saving something for the next game, you just don't do that. Sure, if their model was found in the game and remained unchanged that would be one thing, but again, they've been tweaked consistently for at least four updates in a row now, maybe five once 2.4 comes out. And don't even get me started on all the teasing. I still remember the Octostamps post, Nintendo! lol

And another thing. Smash DLC is ending off with a bang in February. Sure, some people are disappointed by the characters that were chosen, but you can't deny that two more characters is a great way to end the DLC hype train for Smash. Splatoon DLC is probably ending in January (unless they change their minds at the last second, who knows?), so they need something big to end off the Splatoon DLC hype train as well. A couple more weapons or another map just aren't big enough to do that. They need something bigger. Something like playable Octolings ;)

So I'm not giving up on my Octolings yet. If they don't end up in the game, I'll be disappointed, but Splatoon will still be just as fun without them. But the way things are now, they're still very much a possibility.

Silentium

Senior Squid
I'm sorry, but am I missing something? People are talking like the Octolings have been 100% de-confirmed, as if a Nintendo rep just came out and said "Sorry, no octopi." All we've officially learned since last night is...

1) The two maps which are probably the last ones are coming soon, after the 2.4 update
2) There are no plans for paid DLC (as I said in my previous post, who says the Octolings have to be paid? They wouldn't even take as much effort as a map or two, and we will have gotten eleven maps for free once these last two are out)

None of these things officially de-confirm the Octolings. Call me a fanboy if you want, but there's just too much evidence for them. Namely, the model for the things has been at least tweaked slightly in every single update (except some of the ones before 2.0). If you're saving something for the next game, you just don't do that. Sure, if their model was found in the game and remained unchanged that would be one thing, but again, they've been tweaked consistently for at least four updates in a row now, maybe five once 2.4 comes out. And don't even get me started on all the teasing. I still remember the Octostamps post, Nintendo! lol

And another thing. Smash DLC is ending off with a bang in February. Sure, some people are disappointed by the characters that were chosen, but you can't deny that two more characters is a great way to end the DLC hype train for Smash. Splatoon DLC is probably ending in January (unless they change their minds at the last second, who knows?), so they need something big to end off the Splatoon DLC hype train as well. A couple more weapons or another map just aren't big enough to do that. They need something bigger. Something like playable Octolings ;)

So I'm not giving up on my Octolings yet. If they don't end up in the game, I'll be disappointed, but Splatoon will still be just as fun without them. But the way things are now, they're still very much a possibility.
I don't know mang. You bring up some good points, but there could be many other reasons for such things to happen. And if they will go out with a bang, I don't think that octolings will be a big enough thing on their own. Maybe they'll be added, maybe not. I'm just not going to get on the hype train and see it crash and burn with no survivors.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233

Thanks. I was wondering what happened with the hype train, myself. It's like it derailed either Ant Man style or Inside Out style(I personally like the image of the Ant Man one better). I'm not giving up yet, we still have like 15 more days of December left! Let's not give up hope halfway through the month! And before people yell that the hype train shouldn't be going on past January, calm down and stay fresh.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I don't know mang. You bring up some good points, but there could be many other reasons for such things to happen. And if they will go out with a bang, I don't think that octolings will be a big enough thing on their own. Maybe they'll be added, maybe not. I'm just not going to get on the hype train and see it crash and burn with no survivors.
Then tell me why they would update the model time and again, if it isn't gonna be used in the end?
It would be a complete waste of time. Totally unlike Nintendo, if you ask me.

Come on people.
Silence doesn't mean denial, or de-confirmation in this case.

Please consider everything that happened and everything @NWPlayer123 and the other dataminers have uncovered about them.
The model was a seperate one, not the same one the Enemy-Octolings use in Single Player.
And it even got consistently updated in various updated.
Added Face-animations for losing, seperate Player ID for Octolings and the latest update I know of, the "Octo Eyes".
Again, why would Nintendo make all that effort, if they are not meant to be used?

Although, if it all comes down to this, and we won't get Octolings after all, then I really would like to do something, that allows us to get to play as them elsewhere, if we cannot have them in Splatoon.
I hope "Importing Model Mods" for MGS5 will be a thing eventually, for the PC-version.
I would love to use an Octoling for Missions. (Story of MGS5 might be dung, but the gameplay is not bad at all and very fun.)

But more than that, I have had an idea for a Splatoon Fan-Game for some time now.
And Octolings would be great to have for alternate playable characters. : 3

Just some things we could do, to play as our favourite Octo-Amazon's.
If we work together. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom