Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233

These two say hello.

I'm not saying the Octolings will/won't be released in the next month or so. But they most certainly will leave things in that are un-accessable without hacking/cheating devices, that aren't released until the next iteration of the game. Just saying, them editing and updating the Octoling models does not make them automatically bound to be released in this game. They very much will still Copy and Paste things they already have, these two are examples of it.
Nice Mega Forms. They were updated on?
Alright guys, I'm taking a break on this thread. Whatever happens, happens.(I'll probably be back Sunday, depends)

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Nice Mega Forms. They were updated on?
Alright guys, I'm taking a break on this thread. Whatever happens, happens.(I'll probably be back Sunday, depends)
The Mega Lati@s were in partially complete forme (heh) in X&Y, and were only fully implemented in Alpha and Omega.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet

These two say hello.
You obviously didn`'t understand what I was trying to say.

I didn't mean reusing ideas and concepts, but rather models, music, textures...
You know, game files and codes.

I doubt Nintendo simply copypastes data that much.
At the very least, they will give it some major update work.

But I feel we are getting side-tracked.

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
Again, why would they update this in the existing Splatoon if they only have plans to add it to future Splatoon sequels?

If they only want Octos to be playable in future Splatoon titles, then it makes no sense to push their updates to the current Splatoon; rather, it would make more sense to work on it completely internally and leave the existing playable Octo model as it was, as dummied-out content. However, they HAVE pushed updates to the Octo model to the current Splatoon, indicating at the very least that at one point there were plans to make the Octolings playable in the current Splatoon. Now, those plans may have changed based on the most recent company statements, but at the very least those plans were in place as of the last time the playable Octoling model was actively updated (which was when Museum was released, IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong).

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Personally, i would take their words with a grain of salt.

Sure they said free DLC content ends in January and there are no plans for paid DLC at all.
That is basicly everything they said.

Like one of us said here, how does that say "Octolings are scrapped"?

But yeah, like I said, don't take everything they say to heart.
Plans can change, depending on the situation.

Nintenm1

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NintenAlt
Is it just me or am I the only one that thinks Octolings wont be playable. I mean, it'd be cool, very cool, if they added Octoling girl boy or just girl, it doesn't matter.... But the Inklings are Splatoon's mascot, that's what Splatoon is most known for, Inklings and how they interact with each other in Turf Wars and stuff. Making Octolings playable would just have people not use the Inklings at all and all you would see is Octolings all over the place. It defeats the purpose of the Inklings existence if you ask me..

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
You obviously didn`'t understand what I was trying to say.

I didn't mean reusing ideas and concepts, but rather models, music, textures...
You know, game files and codes.

I doubt Nintendo simply copypastes data that much.
At the very least, they will give it some major update work.

But I feel we are getting side-tracked.
They used the models from XY, then updated them in ORAS. So you missed my point, but that's fine, wag your finger at me.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
Again, why would they update this in the existing Splatoon if they only have plans to add it to future Splatoon sequels?

If they only want Octos to be playable in future Splatoon titles, then it makes no sense to push their updates to the current Splatoon; rather, it would make more sense to work on it completely internally and leave the existing playable Octo model as it was, as dummied-out content. However, they HAVE pushed updates to the Octo model to the current Splatoon, indicating at the very least that at one point there were plans to make the Octolings playable in the current Splatoon. Now, those plans may have changed based on the most recent company statements, but at the very least those plans were in place as of the last time the playable Octoling model was actively updated (which was when Museum was released, IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong).
YES, thank you for saying that better than I could!

Nikki is still working on digging through 2.4, so it doesn't seem like she's looked for Octo updates yet. If she finds that the model has been updated yet again in this update, though, even after the recent statements on DLC, I think that guarantees playable Octolings being available in this game eventually, probably in the last update we get. On the other hand, if no changes have been made, it certainly hurts the Octos' evidence, but I still wouldn't count them out. It's very possible that they may try to hide their work on the Octos now that we're so close to the end of DLC.

Again, we'll just have to wait and see how things play out...

EDIT: Oh yeah, we got this mysterious tweet from Nikki recently. Of course this could just be Nikki being a tease, but either way, it appears to be speculation time again!

Last edited:

Splat God

Inkling
NNID
Bluntson
May we all take a moment and think about how miserable it would be if someone started calling out every single logical fallacy in this thread.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
I think it's just frustration at this point.

I think just about all of us interested in game's development, assets, and such can pull up actual examples of games having unused content partially, if not fully, added into the game's data, yet never accessible in game.

It happens ALL the time, and it's often far simpler to just leave the data in than risk making a new bug to fix from removing it, final kilobyte amount be damned.

This doesn't mean it's the case for Octolings at all. It's just a possibility.

The facts still remains that the models discovered have been steadily modified, and the game does recognize Octolings in online multiplayer.

I think it could really go either way at this point.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Fair enough.
At least it is better than constantly denying all the update-work that has been done so far to the in-game model.

Yes, I am among the people who would love to play as an Octoling.
But my life doesn't depend on it.
If they are left out in the end, it would be a shame, but It won't kill me.

I just find it baffling that all the evidence uncovered, apparently doesn't mean anything anymore, because of some vague dev.statements,

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I'm scared that the Splatfest team is running out of ideas since Japan actually recently recycled one of their own Splatfests. :(

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I'm scared that the Splatfest team is running out of ideas since Japan actually recently recycled one of their own Splatfests. :(
I am, too. I mean, there's tons of ideas to be had for Splatfest! Cereal v Oatmeal, or Winter v Summer, or Inklings v Octolings. Meanwhile. I just had my first Nice v Nice battle(and won)

Drip Bam Boozle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sludgetoon
I've noticed japanese splatfest have significantly lower standards than NA splatfest in a lot of different aspects. Just look at the artwork for Rice vs Bread which was the first ever splatfest and had significant matchmaking errors. One of my favorite examples of their neglectful thinking is Lemon Tea vs Milk Tea. It was essentially Yellow ink versus White ink and at its time was the biggest splatfest thrashing ever, presumably because the use of white ink skewed the vote.

....and now they're repeating one.

I don't think the NA splatfest will ever succumb to any of these trends.

Edit: Sorry got carried away. Thought this was a splatfest thread.

Last edited:

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
I wouldn't worry about it. It would make the running of them much easier if they just had a bunch of pre-made teams (like 20 or so) and just randomly selected them on a schedule, with those oddball sponsored ones dropped in here and there.

ANYWAY! Has Nikki discovered anything of note Octoling related in the latest patch, yet?

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I wouldn't worry about it. It would make the running of them much easier if they just had a bunch of pre-made teams (like 20 or so) and just randomly selected them on a schedule, with those oddball sponsored ones dropped in here and there.

ANYWAY! Has Nikki discovered anything of note Octoling related in the latest patch, yet?
I don't think so. We have OCTO operatives monitoring every movement of possible updates.

Which is basically just Berk looking through Nikki's tweets. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom