Octoling Hype Thread (prev. Assets in SplatNet)

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
I don't think so. We have OCTO operatives monitoring every movement of possible updates.

Which is basically just Berk looking through Nikki's tweets. XD
I am offended! Monitoring Octoling updates is seriously hard work! How dare you belittle the amount of effort I put into it! :p

But yeah, nothing new yet. It seems Nikki was occupied with Splatfest, lol. She plays this game too you know ;)
Now that Splatfest is over (suppressing salt), she'll probably start delving deeper into 2.4. Tentacles crossed for Octoling model tweaks!

Flipz

Senior Squid
NNID
FlipzMCL
I don't think so. We have OCTO operatives monitoring every movement of possible updates.

Which is basically just Berk looking through Nikki's tweets. XD
I am offended! Monitoring Octoling updates is seriously hard work! How dare you belittle the amount of effort I put into it! :p

But yeah, nothing new yet. It seems Nikki was occupied with Splatfest, lol. She plays this game too you know ;)
Now that Splatfest is over (suppressing salt), she'll probably start delving deeper into 2.4. Tentacles crossed for Octoling model tweaks!
Sorry. I should be on the watch too, but I'm too busy putting together map strategy videos. :oops: ;)

warghoul

Inkling Cadet

Berk is the wind beneath my tentacles.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Again, why would they update this in the existing Splatoon if they only have plans to add it to future Splatoon sequels?
There could be a couple of possibilities, though I can't say with any certainty which it is. If Octolings and Inklings share assets, then updating Inkling assets would also flag as an update to Octolings in the game engine. It could also be for testing purposes. People say Octolings got updated animations. Considering that Octolings and Inklings would have very similar animation skeletons, the devs may be testing future Inkling animations using Octolings. The latest leak seems to suggest there are new Inkling animations on the way. Perhaps there is a connection.

If they only want Octos to be playable in future Splatoon titles, then it makes no sense to push their updates to the current Splatoon; rather, it would make more sense to work on it completely internally and leave the existing playable Octo model as it was, as dummied-out content. However, they HAVE pushed updates to the Octo model to the current Splatoon, indicating at the very least that at one point there were plans to make the Octolings playable in the current Splatoon. Now, those plans may have changed based on the most recent company statements, but at the very least those plans were in place as of the last time the playable Octoling model was actively updated (which was when Museum was released, IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong).
I don't believe Octolings were ever meant to be playable. Among other things I've already gone over, the fact that the original Japanese name is a combination of "octopus" and "amazon" means they never intended to have male Octolings. While interviews suggested they didn't plan on having male Inklings either, they ended up making them for gameplay reasons (and somehow managed to do it before the game released, unlike the elusive Male Octoling). Updating the Octoling models could mean many different things, and most of my reading on what NWPlayer found says her claims of playable Octolings are either 1) wild ***** guessing based on the fact that Octoling models received some updates (namely eye textures) in August or 2) her yanking people's chain by doing a basic model swap with a save editor and saying she's found playable Octoling models. I'm not sure which it is, but I suspect it's a bit of both.

I haven't found anything by Random Talking Bush, who actually exported the Octoling models for other programs, suggesting there are separate "playable" and "NPC" models. It could be out there somewhere, but I haven't come across it yet. A model swap (which I originally suspected) would be very easy to do with a save editor if someone was as great a hacker as NWPlayer appears to be. It wouldn't have any bearing on whether or not Octolings were going to be playable, because hackers would change what assets the engine loads for all players flagged as Inklings. Basically, they would be making a mod for the game rather than "activating" some Octoling player model.

Fair enough.
At least it is better than constantly denying all the update-work that has been done so far to the in-game model.
I can't speak for others, but I haven't been denying the update work. I'm wanting to know what specific files where changed. So far, no one has been able to provide that information despite everyone knowing everything about these updates. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask what specific files were updated and how the engine uses those files.

As said before, you guys don't know that (and I certainly don't), there's not much point in discussing this further because it's just speculation vs. speculation.

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
and most of my reading on what NWPlayer found says her claims of playable Octolings are either 1) wild ***** guessing based on the fact that Octoling models received some updates (namely eye textures) in August or 2) her yanking people's chain by doing a basic model swap with a save editor and saying she's found playable Octoling models. I'm not sure which it is, but I suspect it's a bit of both.

I haven't found anything by Random Talking Bush, who actually exported the Octoling models for other programs, suggesting there are separate "playable" and "NPC" models. It could be out there somewhere, but I haven't come across it yet. A model swap (which I originally suspected) would be very easy to do with a save editor if someone was as great a hacker as NWPlayer appears to be. It wouldn't have any bearing on whether or not Octolings were going to be playable, because hackers would change what assets the engine loads for all players flagged as Inklings. Basically, they would be making a mod for the game rather than "activating" some Octoling player model.

I can't speak for others, but I haven't been denying the update work. I'm wanting to know what specific files where changed. So far, no one has been able to provide that information despite everyone knowing everything about these updates. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask what specific files were updated and how the engine uses those files.
It's definitely wild guessing and yanking the chain. Yanking the chain for a joke in some cases (like mocking a Direct) or yanking the chain in entertainment (wants to play as the Octoling). If we're actually being serious, it's number one, in NW's case.

What there is is two methods that were used to get Octolings in. One called "Octohax" which is the model swap you're speculating, and the player ID which holds the Octoling in it. Now that last one received updates.

Even though this might be a poor example, there was a model released to the Gmod workshop of the Octoling, before they made their enhanced one. It had the green eyes, normal colour but the bodygroups of the mouth were and are all the faces the Inklings have except for the losing mouth animation which was added in an update. What I can assume is that they used the single player one for the Gmod one and the multiplayer version exists in that player ID method (where octoling is number 2). There's also other things.

There was a picture before its mouth got updated when NW showed Octohax off and the Octoling had a missing lower half of the head before it was updated.

Since it's in the player archive and exists, I'd assume that's a separate model since they keep updating it and the other one is left seemingly untouched. I just can't assume the multiplayer one is the same one as the single player one. It's just not feasible.

The model swap is only possible since the Octoling, the multi one, has similar bones to the Inklings, like you mentioned, they could be testing animations.So yes, it could be uncalled for.

What you mentioned about the model swap has been what's happening. You have no idea how on every single stream showing off the Octohax there's some kid always asking how NW got the Octoling to constantly be answered with the same response: it's a model swap, only NW can see it, everyone sees themselves and her as inkling girls, they are not octolings. Octohax is not being claimed to be playable Octolings. NW never has and never will state that since the reasons are obvious; it's a model swap for mere enjoyment, that's not why the Octolings are being seen as playable.

however the multiplayer one which is in player id 2 (the one that caused the frenzy months ago with the hacker going around servers crashing people that got moved and changed gosh it feels so long ago) has been the one that's been constantly updated. That's the file that people have been going on about, it's in the player archive, it's constantly being updated behind our backs and since we know it's happening and the potential that brings, welcome to this thread.

There you go there's some information.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
*sigh* Where did this thread go wrong? It seems we're just so far gone from the sheer joy of octopus hype.

Anyway, enough edgy reminiscence, look at these:

Nikki has teased in the past, but never with four tweets in a row. Something big is definitely coming. Whether or not that "something big" is Octos remains to be seen, however... those last two tweets really make me think she's talking about Octos. Something about the way she says "they" in Tweet #3 really gets to me, and in Tweet #4, she mentions (probably partly joking) that she thinks she may be the reason it's happening. The only thing "it" could really be in this case is the Octolings. After all, Nikki is known to many as the Octoling hacker

One final thing that I've noticed: Nikki hasn't made a single post directly talking about the Octolings since 2.4 dropped. By now, shouldn't she have at least mentioned that she's looking into them, or that she hasn't found anything, or even that there have been no changes to them? But no, nothing. Perhaps she found finally-completed Octoling player models (among other things?) within the update?

Either way, it seems something big is coming, and Soon(as in January)

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Well, I am certainly looking forward to that if she's keeping mum on them. I'm pretty sure even though we're practically expecting them by now Ninty still wants us to believe it's a surprise, so the best we can do is play along and hope for the best.

If anything, it might give me a reason to continue work on my Octo Sisters headcanon.

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Nuh huh, I'm not jumping back on the hype train just yet.
Don't worry, we'll stop at Silentium station for you when you're ready. Meanwhile we're going at a steady speed, not at the usual hype train speed, but we'll pick up the pace soon enough.

Sunstone

Let's ink it up... together!
NNID
Paleamethyst
I wonder if Ninty requested Nikki to be silent on this "something," like an embargo of sorts.

She's never held back anything worth noting before now.

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
as if people don't want to keep quiet about some things

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
I wonder if Ninty requested Nikki to be silent on this "something," like an embargo of sorts.

She's never held back anything worth noting before now.
Nikki did say that she doesn't want to spoil too much. Which may be why she's been quiet on Octos.(She wasn't even an Octoling the last time she played Hero Mode)

G1ng3rGar1

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-7732-8500-1233
Aqua commenting on the Thread?! :O

But yeah, glad to see there are some really nice things to look forward to regarding Splatoon in the near future.
Yep. You know what would be nice? Snowy Inkopolis. It probably won't happen, tho :P (I don't remember if I told you but I like your profile pic)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom