Optimization

V.G.C

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DiegoJo
Hey guys, VGC here, and I was wondering if I could ask the splatoon fan base for help. I tend to use an aerospray RG, or the Carbon Roller. I am currently level 13 as of this post, and I currently use the Green Safari hat, the Squid girl tunic, and the Trail boots. I was wondering, should I go with Aerospray, or Carbon roller, and how should I go about optimizing my gear??

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
Both are pretty good from my experience. Aerospray becomes less effective around the B ranks though, while I will still see Carbon Rollers even at A+. But it's definitely very good for covering lots of turf in Turf Wars.

As for gear, I don't think there's any consensus on which gear or abilities are the best. Still, in my personal opinion, I don't think Ninja Squid is that good, as well as Recon, Opening Gambit, or Last Ditch Effort. But hey you never know, maybe there's players who know how to use them well.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
You're level 13. It's a bit early to be wondering about gear optimization. Once you've hit 20 and have a good feel for your playstyle, that's the time to start.

For the moment, gear with Ink Saver, Ink Recovery, and Special Charge Up are always a good idea.

V.G.C

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DiegoJo
You're level 13. It's a bit early to be wondering about gear optimization. Once you've hit 20 and have a good feel for your playstyle, that's the time to start.

For the moment, gear with Ink Saver, Ink Recovery, and Special Charge Up are always a good idea.
Ah, thanks! Yeah, I guess Im just thinking a bit ahead, alright, time to get to the grind! Hey, one last question, since Im level 10 or higher, should I start playing ranked mode more? I played a few matches, but I don't know if I should start playing them more than turf wars?? Thanks again!

V.G.C

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DiegoJo
Both are pretty good from my experience. Aerospray becomes less effective around the B ranks though, while I will still see Carbon Rollers even at A+. But it's definitely very good for covering lots of turf in Turf Wars.

As for gear, I don't think there's any consensus on which gear or abilities are the best. Still, in my personal opinion, I don't think Ninja Squid is that good, as well as Recon, Opening Gambit, or Last Ditch Effort. But hey you never know, maybe there's players who know how to use them well.
Ah, thanks alot! I've been using aerospray for a while, but I have been playing with the Carbon Roller for a few matches. Thanks alot!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Ah, thanks! Yeah, I guess Im just thinking a bit ahead, alright, time to get to the grind! Hey, one last question, since Im level 10 or higher, should I start playing ranked mode more? I played a few matches, but I don't know if I should start playing them more than turf wars?? Thanks again!
That just depends on whether you like the ranked modes or not :P It's certainly taken more seriously, and there will be more opponents out for your blood, your call if you want to tackle that yet.

V.G.C

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DiegoJo
That just depends on whether you like the ranked modes or not :p It's certainly taken more seriously, and there will be more opponents out for your blood, your call if you want to tackle that yet.
Well, I think that's to be expected, people are fighting for their rank, but they do give you a lot more XP and money, and they are alot of fun, especially towers. Thanks so much for your help!

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I think you'll reach a point where Turf War will become stale. You'll want a ladder to climb and more stimulating challenges, and that's what Ranked mode is. Many Ranked players will only use Turf Wars as like a test playground for gear or weapons they want to take into Ranked eventually. I honestly just find Turf War to be a little too mindless to enjoy long-term.

At 13, no need to worry about whether you should be playing Ranked or Regular. Go at your own pace. Ranked will obviously be more testing and if you aren't ready to begin your ascent through the ranks, stick with Turf War until you're more prepared. Although, at C-, you really have nothing to lose so you can only improve. You might start feeling out the various Ranked modes and learning how to successfully play the objectives of each.

Thinking back, as an old-timer, Ranked was merely Splat Zones with 6 stages back when I started. For people starting now, there's a whole lot more to take in at once, so I'm sure it can feel daunting. If you have any questions along the way, though, don't hesitate to ask! Even if they seem basic or obvious.

As for Carbon or Aerospray, its been addressed, but in upper ranks Aerosprays become noticeably less viable (especially RG). Carbon is a common competitive weapon, arguably the best Roller in the game, so in the long run, it might be to your benefit to stick with upping your Carbon game early on. At the same time, you've got such a long road ahead of you, and so many other options to try out, I think its far too early to settle on a main. At your level I also used Aerospray RG a lot, and held onto it for a long time, but I reached a point where I wanted to branch out and see what all my possibilities are, and now I rarely use it. Splatoon has weapons to accomodate a ton of playstyles and strategic approaches. And how you play from now is bound to go through several drastic changes before you find what you're really comfortable with.

Good luck on your journey!

Last edited:

V.G.C

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DiegoJo
Wow, thanks alot! yeah, i have definetly chosen to go into ranked mode alot more. I actually studied alot for this game, which is a thing i don't normally do. as for the weapon style, i have actually chosen to go back to the MG, for now, the reason being that the seekers allow me to get places faster in ranked. And, I do have one last question: Splat Zones. What the heck should I be doing in them? I know that i can make a zone lose control with an Areospray, but i keep getting splatted! should i be taking out the chargers, if there are any? Should i stop the opposing team from getting around? Basically, what is my role as a shooter in Splat Zones?

Level 17, B-, doing swell!

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Chargers are definitely a nuisance in Splat Zones. The trade-off is that they have poor inking capabilities, so if you can harass them enough that they cant snipe people, they cant do much else.

As a shooter, your role is often a front-lines attacker or early game flanking, late game defending. Sadly, we shooters have to do the dirty work and get into the zone, manage it, and eliminate threats to our control of the zone. Which includes chargers. Unfortunately, aside from RG's Inkstrike or MG's Inkzooka, Aerosprays have few ways to deal with Chargers, with their short spray range and grounded subs.

If you are comfortable with trying to ink a path to their posts and surprise kill them up close, go for it, otherwise, try out weapons with throwable subs like the Tentatek Splattershot, Splattershot Pro, N-ZAP 85 or Splattershot Jr which can easily put pressure on Chargers from a distance. I found that transitioning from an Aerospray to a Splattershot Jr was fairly easy since they have a similar spray shape. Lobbing bombs onto Charger posts is a very effective way to manage a zone and imposing threats simultaneously.

If you're intent on using the Aerospray MG, you may just have to be careful where you tread. Memorizing common sniper perches will go a long way into making yourself stealthier. Places to hide for cover will eventually become second nature, and you'll know when you're vulnerable to be sniped with time and practice. Hopefully you'll have team mates who are equipped to deal with chargers--though you shouldn't assume that they will. The good thing about Aerosprays is that their fast fire rate allows for a quick special charge, so maybe you can try to stack some Special Charge Up, getting your Inkzooka fast and lay Chargers to waste that way.

Let me know if any of this stuff works for you. I'm looking forward to seeing your improvement as you learn the ins and outs of Ranked!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Aerosprays can be deadly if mastered, any weapon can, but generally they're not so great in ranked fights. The short range, wild spread, and five hits to KO someone make it so that in any given situation where you and another player are firing on each other, you'll probably go down first. Not the greatest combat weapon, but I see aerosprays in S rank so it's up to you if you want to master it :P

In Splat zones, there's two main objectives: paint the zone, and keep the enemy team from doing so. If you decide to stick with the Aerospray, you're definitely on inking duty. Keep the zone your color and re-paint if the enemy gets even a drop on the zone to prevent comebacks. Also, anytime you're able, such as when the enemy team's splatted or just distracted, push forward and cover as much ground as you can to deny them mobility. A lot of newbies makes the mistake of controlling the zone and then basically waiting for the enemy to get back, which doesn't always turn out well.

Oh, and this is probably obvious, but never stand IN the zone if you can help it, because if you blow up you'll paint the zone for them :P

Also, Birdiebee's advice gets the thumbs up from me!

V.G.C

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DiegoJo
Chargers are definitely a nuisance in Splat Zones. The trade-off is that they have poor inking capabilities, so if you can harass them enough that they cant snipe people, they cant do much else.

As a shooter, your role is often a front-lines attacker or early game flanking, late game defending. Sadly, we shooters have to do the dirty work and get into the zone, manage it, and eliminate threats to our control of the zone. Which includes chargers. Unfortunately, aside from RG's Inkstrike or MG's Inkzooka, Aerosprays have few ways to deal with Chargers, with their short spray range and grounded subs.

If you are comfortable with trying to ink a path to their posts and surprise kill them up close, go for it, otherwise, try out weapons with throwable subs like the Tentatek Splattershot, Splattershot Pro, N-ZAP 85 or Splattershot Jr which can easily put pressure on Chargers from a distance. I found that transitioning from an Aerospray to a Splattershot Jr was fairly easy since they have a similar spray shape. Lobbing bombs onto Charger posts is a very effective way to manage a zone and imposing threats simultaneously.

If you're intent on using the Aerospray MG, you may just have to be careful where you tread. Memorizing common sniper perches will go a long way into making yourself stealthier. Places to hide for cover will eventually become second nature, and you'll know when you're vulnerable to be sniped with time and practice. Hopefully you'll have team mates who are equipped to deal with chargers--though you shouldn't assume that they will. The good thing about Aerosprays is that their fast fire rate allows for a quick special charge, so maybe you can try to stack some Special Charge Up, getting your Inkzooka fast and lay Chargers to waste that way.

Let me know if any of this stuff works for you. I'm looking forward to seeing your improvement as you learn the ins and outs of Ranked!
Ah, thank you so much! Yeah, i'll see about the splattershot Jr. Is the Custom Splattershot Jr the same?

V.G.C

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DiegoJo
Aerosprays can be deadly if mastered, any weapon can, but generally they're not so great in ranked fights. The short range, wild spread, and five hits to KO someone make it so that in any given situation where you and another player are firing on each other, you'll probably go down first. Not the greatest combat weapon, but I see aerosprays in S rank so it's up to you if you want to master it :p

In Splat zones, there's two main objectives: paint the zone, and keep the enemy team from doing so. If you decide to stick with the Aerospray, you're definitely on inking duty. Keep the zone your color and re-paint if the enemy gets even a drop on the zone to prevent comebacks. Also, anytime you're able, such as when the enemy team's splatted or just distracted, push forward and cover as much ground as you can to deny them mobility. A lot of newbies makes the mistake of controlling the zone and then basically waiting for the enemy to get back, which doesn't always turn out well.

Oh, and this is probably obvious, but never stand IN the zone if you can help it, because if you blow up you'll paint the zone for them :p

Also, Birdiebee's advice gets the thumbs up from me!
Ah, thanks! i kept making the mistake of letting myself get pushed into the zone! thank you!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Ah, thank you so much! Yeah, i'll see about the splattershot Jr. Is the Custom Splattershot Jr the same?
To answer this question, half the weapons in this game are variants. The Splattershot Jr. and Custom Splattershot Jr. are indeed the same, they just have different sub and special weapons.

I could've just said "yes", but ehhhh :P

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Hi, you're welcome! The Custom variant has Disruptor subs, while the vanilla has Splat Bombs. Splat Bombs are the ones you want if you wanna make the chargers go boom :P

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The vanilla Jr. is also pretty viable in ranked, all the way to the top. Sure, it shares some of the same weaknesses as the Aerospray, but it's not quite as extreme. Also, the bubbler - get caught off guard and need defense? Want to waltz into the zone? How about a leisurely and safe tower ride? It's all one press of the right stick away :P

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
The vanilla Jr. is also pretty viable in ranked, all the way to the top. Sure, it shares some of the same weaknesses as the Aerospray, but it's not quite as extreme. Also, the bubbler - get caught off guard and need defense? Want to waltz into the zone? How about a leisurely and safe tower ride? It's all one press of the right stick away :p
^^^^ this guy ^^^^

I of course would advocate for you to main SSJ all the way through ranked.. because I'm an unabashed fanboy. Join us!!

V.G.C

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DiegoJo
The vanilla Jr. is also pretty viable in ranked, all the way to the top. Sure, it shares some of the same weaknesses as the Aerospray, but it's not quite as extreme. Also, the bubbler - get caught off guard and need defense? Want to waltz into the zone? How about a leisurely and safe tower ride? It's all one press of the right stick away :p
I could very much imagine someone with an SSJ waltzing into the zone with a bubbler, while literally everyone else is getting splatted XD. Okay, im thinking once im gonna use the SSJ for a few regular battles, and then take it into ranked. I'll let you guys know how that goes!

V.G.C

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DiegoJo
I could very much imagine someone with an SSJ waltzing into the zone with a bubbler, while literally everyone else is getting splatted XD. Okay, im thinking once im gonna use the SSJ for a few regular battles, and then take it into ranked. I'll let you guys know how that goes!
Okay! Just played a few matches with the SSJ, and didn't like it. I think it's mainly because I'm so used to the aerospray, and the firing rate. Anyways, salt levels rose, but now I did a match with a charger, and it wasn't too bad! I'm now gonna try a splatter scope and see how that goes. Wish me luck! Edit: yeah, not trying that again. I can't really aim well with the splatterscope, so for now,I'll just stick with rollers and shooters. The berry splatter shot pto looks promising, so who knows!

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Just keep on trying every weapon. You might be surprised at what becomes your favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom