Origin of your username/in game name?

Tereox

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
they/them
I've been using Tereox for over a decade. Originally I was trying to come up with a better username for Minecraft.
I took the first three letters of my favourite server back then and mashed letters together until I got something usable.

I actually shouted the name when I figured it out and woke my cousin up XD

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
I love these kinds of threads; it's so funny the processes that these identifiers go through. I have no interesting origin story though; Aiko was just a nickname I picked up in middle school. The actual origins are foggy other than that it was just what my friends started calling me and I eventually let it stick because I liked having a separate name that my friends used for me from my Mundane Legal Name that adults called me. I held onto it and I've woven it into most aliases that I've had in various communities. Appending -Octo for this community made sense and I feel like it's fun to say.

BeckyXP

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
She/Her
I just freaked out when I made my user so I used Becky, also my name in splatoon 2 and 3, and XP which could mean experience points or look at it as a de@d face. I meant the de@d face, but whatever, you choose what it means.

MandatoryCatalyst

Pro Squid
Pronouns
Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2709-1571-0800
When playing Smash with my siblings, we'd always have nicknames set when we played, just for fun n all that, and I took "Calamity" as mine, taking the name from the web series "No Evil". Calamity was my favorite character and design, and I also just liked how Calamity sounded. From there... I'm not actually sure how it shifted into MandatoryCatalyst? I needed something other than "Calamity" when setting up my Playstation account, and I figured MandatoryCatalyst sounded pretty cool. I had a different online handle at the time (CaptainAnabelle, and prior to that, PopcornSnuffler), but I like using multiple handles for anything that's not what I'd consider essentially my core few accounts I use (Steam/Discord/Flight Rising/ect)

The funny thing is is that I actually later switched off of MandatoryCatalyst, because it's too many characters for most websites, specifically I wanted it to be my Flight Rising username. Since I couldn't be MandatoryCatalyst, I switched to RetroCatalyst instead. However... since this is a forum where usernames aren't as strict as they are in other places, I figured, hey, might as well go with the handle I'd ORIGINALLY wanted for my online presence!

For my Splashtag, I just went with "Catalyst". On sites where I use "RetroCatalyst" people tend to shorten it to "Retro", but hey, not only do I somewhat prefer Catalyst for my handle over Retro, but "Catalyst" is what I view as the defining part of my username, so it fit better!

...technically my name is Jay but hey, here especially I want people to recognize me if they see me in matches, so Catalyst as a name it is!

nineball

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
i stole my username from the villain of an obscure ps1 mecha game
When playing Smash with my siblings, we'd always have nicknames set when we played, just for fun n all that, and I took "Calamity" as mine, taking the name from the web series "No Evil". Calamity was my favorite character and design, and I also just liked how Calamity sounded. From there... I'm not actually sure how it shifted into MandatoryCatalyst? I needed something other than "Calamity" when setting up my Playstation account, and I figured MandatoryCatalyst sounded pretty cool. I had a different online handle at the time (CaptainAnabelle, and prior to that, PopcornSnuffler), but I like using multiple handles for anything that's not what I'd consider essentially my core few accounts I use (Steam/Discord/Flight Rising/ect)

The funny thing is is that I actually later switched off of MandatoryCatalyst, because it's too many characters for most websites, specifically I wanted it to be my Flight Rising username. Since I couldn't be MandatoryCatalyst, I switched to RetroCatalyst instead. However... since this is a forum where usernames aren't as strict as they are in other places, I figured, hey, might as well go with the handle I'd ORIGINALLY wanted for my online presence!

For my Splashtag, I just went with "Catalyst". On sites where I use "RetroCatalyst" people tend to shorten it to "Retro", but hey, not only do I somewhat prefer Catalyst for my handle over Retro, but "Catalyst" is what I view as the defining part of my username, so it fit better!

...technically my name is Jay but hey, here especially I want people to recognize me if they see me in matches, so Catalyst as a name it is!
i love how this website broke up your name. very agreeable
2024-05-06_19-11.png

MandatoryCatalyst

Pro Squid
Pronouns
Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2709-1571-0800

a hot mess

Inkling Fleet Admiral
painfully and slowly rotting in my bed <3
Pronouns
Any
NNID
london
Switch Friend Code
SW-0705-2349-2993
1715042169186.png

1715042183899.png

𝓸𝓴, 𝓼𝓸 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓴𝓷𝓸𝔀 𝓰𝓪𝓼𝓸𝓵𝓲𝓷𝓮 𝓯𝓾𝓶𝓮𝓼? 𝓲 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮 𝓲𝓷𝓱𝓪𝓵𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶... 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓪𝓵𝓼𝓸 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓭 𝓶𝓲𝓲𝓼, 𝓵𝓲𝓴𝓮 𝓲𝓷 𝓽𝓸𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓪𝓬𝓱𝓲 𝓵𝓲𝓯𝓮. 𝓻𝓮𝓶𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓼 𝓶𝓮 𝓲 𝓰𝓸𝓽𝓽𝓪 𝓰𝓸 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮 𝓾𝓹 𝓶𝔂 𝓶𝓲𝓲!!(ˉ▽ ̄~)

Hokuto

Senior Squid
Pronouns
they/he/ze
Switch Friend Code
SW-5561-7608-9695
Most of the time, if you're looking for me, I'm just Hokuto. That includes on this website, because it wasn't taken and why would it be.
  • Romaji Japanese name for the star in the northern sky.
    • The phrase "star in the northern sky" occurs in a song my best friend sent me when we were still getting to know each other.
    • I originally had Dipper Pines in mind (I have been government kin assigned Dipper Pines and Naoto Shirogane), only to learn later that Dipper is named for Ursa Major and Polaris is in Ursa Minor.
    • I could have opted for Hōkūpaʻa (the Hawaiian name for the same star) if more fonts and programs supported ʻokina and kahakō.
  • Also a name I wanted to try out when I was testing names. Glad it didn't stick, because it would be super weird if people called me Hokuto IRL and (something else) online.
And a bit about my Splatoon 3 IGN, not that anybody asked: also Hokuto. I went with "Hokutoling" for a little while (a pun on "Hokuto" and "Octoling" before I knew my Agent of Chaos's name ("Bricks" Jenkins, not that anybody asked), then changed it back because 1. it felt weird, and 2. what happens if I want to play as one of my Inklings? They don't get the fully customized Splashtags I wish I could show off, but you can tell when I'm representing a character and when I'm representing myself.

Last edited:

briank913

Pro Squid
NNID
briank913
Switch Friend Code
SW-0159-0074-0919
I love these kinds of threads; it's so funny the processes that these identifiers go through. I have no interesting origin story though; Aiko was just a nickname I picked up in middle school. The actual origins are foggy other than that it was just what my friends started calling me and I eventually let it stick because I liked having a separate name that my friends used for me from my Mundane Legal Name that adults called me. I held onto it and I've woven it into most aliases that I've had in various communities. Appending -Octo for this community made sense and I feel like it's fun to say.
The fact that your name actually isn't Aiko actually surprised me :o

Bennet

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
this username on Squidboards was just a real-life name that I like, and on my switch one is a fanmade Deltarune character while the other one is the real Deltarune character.

the reason why I chose my Nintendo Switch username was because: number one, I love all the games made by Toby Fox, and number two I am obsessed with videogames and that I usually spend many hours watching my brother play Deltarune and sometimes I play it. and the Scamton one was from watching my brother play Deltarune chapter rewritten.

BeckyXP

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
She/Her
this username on Squidboards was just a real-life name that I like, and on my switch one is a fanmade Deltarune character while the other one is the real Deltarune character.

the reason why I chose my Nintendo Switch username was because: number one, I love all the games made by Toby Fox, and number two I am obsessed with videogames and that I usually spend many hours watching my brother play Deltarune and sometimes I play it. and the Scamton one was from watching my brother play Deltarune chapter rewritten.
Who is the real Deltarune character?

Mr. Taro

Inkling
Pronouns
Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-3556-5455-0216
My in game name “Mr. Taro” sprouts from the name ”Taro” itself. In all honesty, I got inspired by a silly little keychain plush I got from the 100yen shop/mart I visited. I thought, “Hey, this color reminds me of taro milk!” And so I use the name ”Taro” in most online platforms I use.
(Note: I got the image online as an example, looks just like the one I have! And yes, it is grape juice.)

Attachments

Bennet

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
My in game name “Mr. Taro” sprouts from the name ”Taro” itself. In all honesty, I got inspired by a silly little keychain plush I got from the 100yen shop/mart I visited. I thought, “Hey, this color reminds me of taro milk!” And so I use the name ”Taro” in most online platforms I use.
(Note: I got the image online as an example, looks just like the one I have! And yes, it is grape juice.)
your PFP looks cute and noice at the same time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom