Origin of your username/in game name?

Snowball

Inkling
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4730-3272-1146
I spent the winter in the US once when I was 5 years old and had a blast experiencing snow for the first time because it doesn’t snow in my country. That holiday was one of my most fond childhood memories and I always associate it with snow, so I wanted my username to be related to it
I originally went with “Snowballs” as a reference to a regular show episode I found funny, but changed to just “Snowball” because it’s shorter and rolls off the tongue better

Last edited:

C-53

Inkling
C-53 (aka SEA-53) is one of the great fictional robots. They are also the best character in the best podcast. They inspire me.

Mx_Diva

Splatoon Playing Spinster
Premium
Pronouns
She/Her
NNID
Mx_Diva
Switch Friend Code
SW-6445-1547-4212
“Mr. Diva” is a Jeffree Star song in which this music mixes so well with Splatoon and on account my inkling looks like Jeffree Star [Since with the magic of amiibo I can give the spiky hair inkling the “Enchanted Robe” to]. Anyway, “Mr. Diva” sounds just too hetero-cis-normative so I decided on Mx. Diva. So that why I gave it the name Mx. Diva or now Mxxx Diva.

mizuta_ahato

Inkling
Pronouns
she/her
reading all your stories is so fun. it's very curious to see what factors or memories can help one choose something as major as a name... your main form of identification. it's like holding those memories has a core part of you, you know?
mine is just plain old 'mizuta', because that's my name in japanese, which i prefer to 'acht', honestly...

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
reading all your stories is so fun. it's very curious to see what factors or memories can help one choose something as major as a name... your main form of identification. it's like holding those memories has a core part of you, you know?
mine is just plain old 'mizuta', because that's my name in japanese, which i prefer to 'acht', honestly...
nice, I really want to learn Japanese.

jealous-lens47

Inkling
Pronouns
He/Him
"Luca" is a name I've been going by since 2021 when I created a new Mii that looks nothing like me for privacy reasons (not named after the Pixar character, I used a name generator online for that).

Mili

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-6426-7546-0600
Irl nickname because it's that cool, Mili is a cool nickname and would change my name to it but I like my two real names.
Also Mili is just straight up in my name, just remove some letters from my name and there it is!

Pronouns
hot/blaster
Switch Friend Code
SW-6602-0656-0902
i'm sure it will get buried... but like:

my OCs name (Benjamin Melleta) was named after Benjamin Carmine from Gears of War... he's clumsy... that's about all i have for the character rn XD

but my IGN is just dededenova shortened to the most important parts imo at the time, >De<dede>N<ov>A< tho it's usually dededenova. it comes from kirby triple deluxe! which has a power-up for every other level called The Super Nova Berry. it lets you go super suck mode... and uh... just give it to king dedede and we're good ._.

8yo had very little creativity if you can't tell XD

Arigato!

Semi-Pro Squid
Yall got some interesting names and I am curious
Uh oh. I've had so many names, and so many pfps, it's actually concerning. So here's the timeframe.

Pokemon person- Kitu/Kita(Kitsunes are the best mythical animals)
Just started playing splatoon- bepsi. I was a casual back then.
Splatoon Novice- DatHero! I was really proud of this name, and it was when I started getting good.
S+10 Squid- OriInko. Inko means parakeet in japanese, and I had a parakeet(She sadly passed last month). Together it means Oriental Parakeet.
2000+ X Power- Soleil- French for Sun.
2100+ X Power- lychee. Idk where this came from. (Maybe lychee dragon cookie)
Salmon Run enjoyer- Arigato. This means Thank You in Japanese.
Current- Seawii. It's supposed to sound like seaweed but it looks cooler imo.

I'm probably gonna change again next month, and it's most likely the same reason I can't have a main weapon lol.

Last edited:

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
My former nickname was Aquifers, a type of underground water reservoir thing that wells usually feed off of. One of those words that is in fact a real thing but just sounds like a name if you aren't already familiar with it. I also tried and failed to form a competitive team made up of friends of friends called "Ink Well", only adding on to the wordplay.

After deciding I liked stingers, I began brainstorming names that could incorporate a stinger-related pun. One Pot Wonder, derived from "one shot wonder", is what fit best, especially since it could be particularly memorable when combined with a profile picture of a stinger with one pot left in its stack. Unfortunately, I would later learn that the term is actually "one hit wonder". Whoops.
My in-game name is shortened to Wonder, which fits well enough due to the word's split meaning.
My name on switch is 1PotWonder, barely fitting within the character limit.

If not for fitting like a glove in so many aspects, I would have probably tried to change my name by now.

Tinybitt

Inkster Jr.
Well, my first nickname was extremely childish XD. I won't name it for the sake of not embarrassing myself but it was something along the lines of XXX_GTAFAN_XXX or whatever the equivalent is.

A while later, I wanted to register on twitch and decided that I need to change my name. So... I just started keyboard mashing lol.
I think I got something like "Tnbytt" or similar and I immediately was like "Oh right! Tinybitt!" (Also don't remember if I specifically added the double t or it was random.) But anyway, that's how that came about. I also usually add 23 at the end, because it was a thing my best friends did at the time. Like, my name on splat is Tinybitt23.

Azhdarcho

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-3173-5595-5611
A lifetime ago, I spent a semester working in a paleontology lab for a professor who had dug up what he believed was an Azhdarchid pterosaur. My job was to dig up literature about them. At the time, I thought that “Azhdarcho” would make for a good Internet user handle, because it was unlikely to already be taken anywhere you go.

My life has nothing to do with that anymore, but I’m still Azhdarcho.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I have had a few usernames in the past (the most common being scienceman87, which I thought of in like a minute because "you can always change it later") but I was never really happy with it, and over the course of several years I would occasionally try to think of a username that i liked and could use everywhere, but I never could, partly because I tend to be picky about these kinds of things. So when discord did the whole username overhaul thingy, I knew this was the perfect opportunity and I'd probably never get a better one. To get around my indecision/pickiness, I established a few criteria that I could use to figure out if a username was good or not. It needed to be a max of 7 or 8 characters, ideally less (so it can fit in a Splatoon name along with a team tag), it needed to be unique (so that it isn't already taken on most sites and so it would be recognizable), and I needed to like it (because being stuck with a username I don't like is the problem I was trying to fix). After spending days brainstorming and not coming up with anything good, I finally resorted to trying random combinations of sounds. I started to get stuck on that too (true randomness is hard/impossible) I decided I'd think of existing words but change them. The first one to come to mind was "squid", because I play as an Inkling, and the most obvious change was to flip around the d to become a b. It sounds nice, is unique, and it just felt right (which is the only important part, really). It's only 5 characters, so there's plenty of room for whatever team tag I end up having, and it is also really easy to say. The only problem left was that it's so short that when I tried to use it as a username, it was already taken. So I had to think of a longer version. And since it sounded like "squid" I immediately started thinking of splatoon-related puns. And the song from the trailer came into my head and I knew I had to do it.

It's kind of like my history with weapons, where I went through a lot of different ones but eventually I found one that was just perfect. And I don't think I'll be changing my username anytime soon. (Although I'm not exactly sure why I decided to use underscores on squidboards and nowhere else.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom