OVERTIME OPINIONS

Catloafman

Inkling Commander
It can be jank at times looking at you rainmaker
but the idea is a good one and definitly needs to be in the game

Arigato!

Pro Squid
Yes? Why wouldn't it be?

It's necessary to prevent a lame-duck situation where the game hasn't ended but isn't actually winnable anymore.
I feel like it isn't sometimes honestly. IN sz, overtime is a must, in rainmaker and tc it isn't. I know there would have to be something overtime, like maybe staying on the tower for 10 secs or having the rm . CB is fine for stalemates imo.

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
I don't think overtime is unfair. I mean technically as long as any rule is is applied equally to both sides it is by definition fair. But I also feel it's balanced. How long a match should last is arbitrary anyway and having a match end just because one team had slightly more points when the clock happens to reach 0 is as arbitrary as anything else. If it's a close game then letting the losing team get one final push seems fine to me. And if not a close game then then it's really hard for the losing team to get a win unless they really perform well.

Last edited:

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Some overtimes are weird, but the only change to overtime I’d like to see is a player instantly exploding if they retreat the rainmaker while winning at the end of a rainmaker match, giving the other team overtime until the rainmaker gets picked up. We killed Kraken cheese, I want rainmaker cheese to be next.

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
Some overtimes are weird, but the only change to overtime I’d like to see is a player instantly exploding if they retreat the rainmaker while winning at the end of a rainmaker match, giving the other team overtime until the rainmaker gets picked up. We killed Kraken cheese, I want rainmaker cheese to be next.
I kind of wonder if they could just make the rainmaker explosion significantly larger (at the end of it's timer) if you don't gain ground while you are holding it. It would punish stalling more (and as a bonus maybe some players will learn to not just pick up the rainmaker if their team is still at a disadvantage).

Bennet

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him/His
NNID
scamton
Switch Friend Code
SW-7447-6424-1120
It is fair because what if you were on the losing team? You would want to have more time to come back and win it, wouldn't you?

Driftwood

Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
Thinking about it further, I would say the reason Splatoon overtime rules make sense is because the matches are so short. It's always possible to get large gains/setbacks due to random variation. For longer games or sports, these kind of things should even out over time (at least theoretically, though it kind of depends on the rules of the game in question) and so any long lasting gains/setbacks should be based on the skills of the teams. The OT rules don't get rid of this randomness problem completely, but they do work against it.

Last edited:

reelrollsweat

Pro Squid
overtime can feel unfair if you don't really know how to handle it lol. sometimes it feels like the enemy team magically became 10x better in overtime even tho they were losing the first 5 minutes. a lot of ppl will get like "i just need to stop them quick!!" and then make poorly thought out hero plays and stagger their team instead of grouping up with the full team and making a defensive push. if i think overtime is going to happen i usually back up to a defensive/anchor position and make sure i have my special charged, bc a good special use can often end overtime instantly

tldr i think ppl who say overtime is unfair just need to learn how to play overtime

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
i had never once even contemplated the possibility that someone could think overtime was a bad thing, it's wild to remember people can have any opinion in the world
fact is, if a team wins during overtime it's because they earned it. i feel like overtime provides so many really hype moments that would just feel awful otherwise. imagine if you get a wipeout with 30 seconds left on tower control, but the tower is just literally too far for you to be able to score enough points to take the lead in time before the match ends. overtime makes it so there's always a reason to keep fighting in this game, it would suck so much if you were encouraged to just give up if there's too many points left to get

Arigato!

Pro Squid
Okay but why though? This thread is just a drive-by weird take with no explanation behind it.
I really just wanted other peoples opinions and maybe I should change the title :P. BUT I think overtime is good but could use changes in different modes.

Arigato!

Pro Squid
i had never once even contemplated the possibility that someone could think overtime was a bad thing, it's wild to remember people can have any opinion in the world
fact is, if a team wins during overtime it's because they earned it. i feel like overtime provides so many really hype moments that would just feel awful otherwise. imagine if you get a wipeout with 30 seconds left on tower control, but the tower is just literally too far for you to be able to score enough points to take the lead in time before the match ends. overtime makes it so there's always a reason to keep fighting in this game, it would suck so much if you were encouraged to just give up if there's too many points left to get
Well not really. 20 seconds to rush a power clam past a hydra or skilled eliter isnt gonna cut it. If you do tho, good job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom