• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Plans for a Splatoon Weapons Tier List

Do you think this is a good idea?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
So, I've decided to go along with creating anew "unofficial official" Viability thread. I will be making an attempt to make the initial placement as accurate as possible. I am intending on getting a few reputable players to also decide on the initial placement on all the weapons.

I want everyone to understand that one, this is in no way an "official" ranking of weapons. This is not in any way endorsed by Nintendo, and will 100% be based on the users decisions.
Two, this is for new players and old to determine what weapons are the most viable in what situations. This is not to say X weapon sucks, but that X weapon requires more skill and effort to use effectively, requiring more of each the lower on the list you get.
Three, the placements will be decided by the players. There will be discussion about whatever weapon, and depending on what the general consensus is, weapons will move.
Four, this will not be exclusively for tournament play. With that said, I have yet to decide whether the viability thread will be a general ranking on all modes together, or each mode seperately.
Five, these placements will change over time as the metagame progresses and changes. The placement is in no way set in stone with how often they buff and nerf certain weapons and specials.

With that, feel free to PM me on your idea on where you think certain weapons should be and I may consider it for the initial placement. I will posting the link here whenever I complete the OP. Hopefully this will be a relatively painless endeavor.

Damandatwin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Damandatwin
Track all the weapons used in tournament from now on. Then you can use whatever algorithm you want to rank them (something to do with usage * win rate). That is how you get an accurate picture of how the meta looks right now. Theorycrafting doesn't work because nobody is rigorous enough to give anything more than their opinion with maybe a youtube video of them winning a game with the weapon.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
That was the plan actually for the initial placements. With that, the placements will likely change within a couple weeks anyways. I'm beginning to think of putting all the commonly agreed on as good weapons in S and beginning discussion on A and below as the weeks go on. Not entirely sure of how it will all go just yet, I'll likely get around to it after work today.

Njok

Bouncer
Rapidboy

Rip tier list :D
Track all the weapons used in tournament from now on. Then you can use whatever algorithm you want to rank them (something to do with usage * win rate). That is how you get an accurate picture of how the meta looks right now. Theorycrafting doesn't work because nobody is rigorous enough to give anything more than their opinion with maybe a youtube video of them winning a game with the weapon.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
This is why I believe "Viability" is a better fit. Simply shows what weapons are the most viable in the most situations. It doesn't exactly insinuate that X weapon is trash, but instead requires more skill in order to be as viable as that of something above it. People tend to think of ranking as Good weapons are above A, and everything below is complete trash and if you use those weapons, you are also complete trash.
That's the problem with any viability or tier list thread (which honestly is the same thing because people would be making tiers in what weapons are more viable than others) people get butthurt when their weapon doesn't place high enough and think that. I think people are simply going to need to get over that though but anytime I see a viability or tier thread there is always someone crying about how their weapon is actually good/viable.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
That's the problem with any viability or tier list thread (which honestly is the same thing because people would be making tiers in what weapons are more viable than others) people get butthurt when their weapon doesn't place high enough and think that. I think people are simply going to need to get over that though but anytime I see a viability or tier thread there is always someone crying about how their weapon is actually good/viable.
Oh, absolutely. I am expecting that. I know the "butthurt" will be coming. I just want to try and remove any idea of X weapon sucks and you sucks for using it" that a tier list sort of insinuates. I know many people will be unhappy with the placement of their main weapon, something a buddy of mine has actually already expressed to me while showing him my preliminary placements. But, as you said, He'll just have to get over it. With that said, I've begun work on the thread now that I'm off. Should be up in a couple days. :)

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
If you want to avoid hurt feelings, starting by putting weapons in S without looking at the data first is the wrong way to go. No one can argue with data; if weapons are consistently showing up and doing well, it's proof that they can reach that level. I think a better use of discussion would be instead deciding the cutoff points for tiers, and then just using that unbiased tool to construct the tier lists.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
If you want to avoid hurt feelings, starting by putting weapons in S without looking at the data first is the wrong way to go. No one can argue with data; if weapons are consistently showing up and doing well, it's proof that they can reach that level. I think a better use of discussion would be instead deciding the cutoff points for tiers, and then just using that unbiased tool to construct the tier lists.
That will be the objective after we break past the preliminary stages. I'll just be posting a "dummy" ranking and hopefully the discussion will go from there to move weapons to the rank they should reside in. I will be starting with discussion on S Rank and A rank and we will move on from there to the ranks below.

The thread should be up in a couple of hours and we can move on to that thread. :)

EDIT: Thread is up!
http://squidboards.com/threads/weap...i-phase-i-s-rank-and-a-rank-discussion.10594/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom