• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Playing for Kills ... why?

_Vicious_

Full Squid
NNID
Vicious09
I forget the level, but you need to do some of the story before you get it. I believe its the...3rd boss that gives the normal and another gives the golden one.
ahhh ok thanks i will do some more of the story :)

tentanman

Inkling
NNID
Tentanman
I guess we disagree then, because those choke spots change possession so often throughout the game, it's a lot rarer that the enemy gets all the way to your base. If you paint your base first, and then move on to reclaim the choke spots the enemy have taken, not only do you as an individual get more points, but you have a big chunk of the map already painted that is far less likely to be reclaimed than the middle of the map.
The choke spots only change if you relinquish control. The only map it's impossible to hold control is saltspray rig because there's three major areas in seperate spots. Otherwise, it's a game of tug of war. The further you push, the more cornered they get. I've got videos going 24-1, 21-0, ect where the enemy team is pushed so far back early on they're powerless.

Also, by your logic if your base is the safest spot rarely to get attacked, why not cover it later?

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
I forget the level, but you need to do some of the story before you get it. I believe its the...3rd boss that gives the normal and another gives the golden one.
You get both version from the third boss ; but they have different level requirement.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
The choke spots only change if you relinquish control. The only map it's impossible to hold control is saltspray rig because there's three major areas in seperate spots. Otherwise, it's a game of tug of war. The further you push, the more cornered they get. I've got videos going 24-1, 21-0, ect where the enemy team is pushed so far back early on they're powerless.

Also, by your logic if your base is the safest spot rarely to get attacked, why not cover it later?
I mean the people I'm complaining about just don't paint the base. At all. Every spawn they take a straight line. Paint the base later on in the game, hey, fine, different tactics for different folks. See though, it's not as simple as tug of war in my opinion, thanks to the layout of most maps you can sneak behind and paint their base without even having to push against the choke spot.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
To talk a bit in topic: Never saw anyone that didn't at least spray stuff in bit in the base.

The only time I saw anyone only going for kill if when they have a charger. They generally aren't good neither.

Fakevox

Senior Squid
To talk a bit in topic: Never saw anyone that didn't at least spray stuff in bit in the base.

The only time I saw anyone only going for kill if when they have a charger. They generally aren't good neither.
Nothin' worse than a bad charger. Well, aside from a bad roller. Or a bad anything, really. Bad anythings are really bad. The way I try and cope with being set on an awful team: I think "Well, maybe they're a child. This is a Nintendo game we're talkin' about."

Then I think "ONE MORE REASON TO HATE KIDS"

tentanman

Inkling
NNID
Tentanman
Nothin' worse than a bad charger. Well, aside from a bad roller. Or a bad anything, really. Bad anythings are really bad. The way I try and cope with being set on an awful team: I think "Well, maybe they're a child. This is a Nintendo game we're talkin' about."

Then I think "ONE MORE REASON TO HATE KIDS"
My issue with some charger players is they expect not to paint at all. With a quick finger and good timing a charger can be good at painting, but they simply spend their time sitting around waiting for people.

Mam

Inkster Jr.
NNID
GTaG1379
The only upside to having that one player that goes for splats is that the other team cant ink, but if he cant even kill. The one thing they are there for. Then you just have a dead teammate, that wont even protect a choke point but rather rush in, get killed , super jump, repeat. So it gets annoying but i mean if they can splat then its cool, gives me more time to ink a zone and get my super up.

Kris

Senior Squid
NNID
Kristofuror
rarely ever my problem. Occasionally my team gets smashed, me included. But it feels like when we do. I'm up against an actual team with voice chat. I play with only randoms :\ . Other than those rare occasions. Even if we still lose, I get a lot of points/cash. I will be affected by this in ranked though.

Occasionally some games I go for kills. Charge guns, I will to get better at them. Other than those guns, if I'm ever out for ink, I am always still spraying everything on my way to my next victim. D:< I gotta have that cash yo.

:3 if the other team is out for kills, it only makes it easier for me. I typically get more kills, due to the fact I play more shooters, and I get more points lol. I do get surprised everynow and then. I swear some people will just sit in a little puddle of ink and wait for you to walk by that tiny puddle, to kill you.

But stealth swim and stealth jump make my life easier, as do the Ink mines. :3 I just place one while I submerge to move farther, so it doesn't look like I did anything fishy, I then proceed to go ink as if nothing was out of the norm. Nothing may have been, Or something could have been, I swear my gut can tell me when another squid is around the corner. When I don't listen to it, I tend to die.

Reactions: Mam

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
I find it very useful at the beginning of a match when im using the splattershot jr. is to go straight for the enemy spawn and distract them as long as possible. if I am able to do that successfully it gives the rest of my team time to cover the rest of the map uncontested. while im killing them, im covering their base to stall them a few seconds longer even if I die. so it seems to me that even though kills aren't the goal, they can still help.

Twilord

Senior Squid
NNID
Twilord
I tend to rush forward early to get a glimpse of the foe, respawn or superjump to paint my base if no-one else has, look for their colour (in particular if it seems inactive), and near the end make a mad dash for their base to massively undermine them OR a mad dash for my base if they've been playing smart too. As a result I've leaped from rubbish to awesome.

This does not work on Saltspray Rig. I love that map.

Technocrow

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Technocrow
It's incredibly annoying, to say the least. I hope people do realise that kills don't win games. It's frustrating when the game starts, and I ink around the spawn point, only to find once I'm done that my team have done nothing but make a straight line of ink charging straight at the enemy. Do they not realise it's a Turf War? A Turf War where our own ****ing side of the map apparently isn't worth marking, lmao.
Well to be fair when the game first starts I think it's important to get your ink as far up as possible to seize the middlemost point of the map. Then spread ink near spawn when you get the chance. Having control of the center or the majority of the most area in a map is more important than spreading ink near spawn.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Not really my case to be honest. If we get stomped it's because of lack of skill/teamwork (usually implies teammates/myself dying a lot), but that does not necessarily mean they are just looking for kills (base is usually painted properly, for example).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom