• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Pokemon GO?

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
How is it "subjective" that the game has no overarching goal and long-term gameplay right now? There's nothing to it currently beyond getting mons and claiming gyms for your team for the purpose of... claiming gyms for your team.
You just said it was mediocre without any explanation. I referred to that statement as subjective, which is still valid given you never specified why the app is mediocre... until someone brought it to attention. You just said...

Pokemon Go is mediocre at best, actually :p It's winning hearts and minds right now by the sheer concept alone.
... followed with a link to a Jim Sterling review, which in itself subjective, since, y'know, reviews. It's one thing to say "this looks mediocre", "to me this is mediocre" but there was a tone of objectivity to what is really an opinion. I hate sounding like that type of loopyhead on YouTube comment sections who basically jumps out at everyone for saying -blank- game is less than a 11/10, and while it's okay to criticize the game, it seemed very apparent, at least to me, that you held what you felt as fact.

Going back to the first quote, I'm pretty sure..... catching Pokemon and claiming gyms is an overarching goal. My goal is to literally catch 'em all (or at least, the Pokemon that are actually available in my region because okay, I'm never going to Australia, not even for a Kanghaskhan or w.e it's spelled), as well as claim as much gyms for Team Valor. In addition and more importantly, I think a pretty big overarching goal for many playing this game is exploration; I wouldn't expect an application on its own to harbor deep gameplay of any kind, but what mobile games can do for people is make real-life... a lot more interesting and bring new experiences. Since it's so interwined with my real-life exploration around my hometown and all, I would consider me actually going out and about "gameplay"; after all, you can't play the game if you don't leave your room. Not everyone's the same though so I'm not here to say you're wrong for lacking any interest in it.

I suppose it's a fun activity for walking but that's all it is really. Even then I'd rather focus on where i'm going and look at scenery over my phone.
Hm.
In my experience, the app has not demanded my attention to where I can't enjoy the scenery nor actually know where I'm going. Even if I stared at the phone for an extended amount of time, the game is literally a map of where I am. But like, no, I wouldn't do that, because i'm level 16 in and there still hasn't been a reason for me to focus on my phone over what's in front of me.

I know this probably wasn't at me, but I can see what you're getting at here. As someone that isn't much of a pokemon fan I personally guess I don't find it that fun and i've had bad experiences with getting too into games like this. I don't really like the idea of going to a pokestop with a lure since I hear about kidnappings utilizing that feature of Pokemon GO. I may be an adult but it's still scary to consider.

I feel my safety comes over having fun with this little mobile game.
It's a real shame people are willing to exploit this sort of app for really crappy things like that. I wouldn't put the blame on anyone feeling uneasy about playing the app when it comes to this. I think it's just best to go to an area with clusters of pokestops with lures attached to all of them, because that usually means several people are there playing.... and not just in one group. But still, the hesitation is completely valid.

If there's any gripe I have with the app, it's that some pokemon are region locked, which i find completely ridiculous. I'd have more to say and I probably will edit this later tonight but I gotta go someplace. Users, please don't flame me too hard while I'm gone :(

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That sounds an awful lot like delving into semantics, which is the point where I wash my hands of the topic.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
If there's any gripe I have with the app, it's that some pokemon are region locked, which i find completely ridiculous. I'd have more to say and I probably will edit this later tonight but I gotta go someplace.
WOW WHAT. What pokemon are region locked anyways...?

It's a real shame people are willing to exploit this sort of app for really crappy things like that. I wouldn't put the blame on anyone feeling uneasy about playing the app when it comes to this. I think it's just best to go to an area with clusters of pokestops with lures attached to all of them, because that usually means several people are there playing.... and not just in one group. But still, the hesitation is completely valid.
That makes the most sense. There's less risk with that.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Just because it SOUNDS like "delving into semantics" doesn't mean that it is... but hey, make sure you use lots of soap and hot water, kiddo! ;) Stay salty!
I was curious, saw this post, clicked show ignored content... and yeeeeeeep, thanks for reminding me of why I put your vitriolic butt on ignore, buddy.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Just because it SOUNDS like "delving into semantics" doesn't mean that it is... but hey, make sure you use lots of soap and hot water, kiddo! ;) Stay salty!
Dude uh, do you have to use all of the text modifications to make your point? No offense, but it just looks a bit over the top.

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
I was curious, saw this post, clicked show ignored content... and yeeeeeeep, thanks for reminding me of why I put your vitriolic butt on ignore, buddy.
#vitriolic and you're welcome! I'll remind you every so often, in case you're "curious", again.

Dude uh, do you have to use all of the text modifications to make your point? No offense, but it just looks a bit over the top.
I'm a bit of an over the top person!

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
#vitriolic and you're welcome! I'll remind you every so often, in case you're "curious", again.

I'm a bit of an over the top person!
Well, at least you're nice enough to admit your continued determination to break the rules with reportable offenses around here :D Maybe I'll have to unignore you so I can more consistently report these dumb posts and speed up your eventual ban!

Really though, I haven't seen most of your other idiotic posts and I'm not going to, so you're just making yourself look like the fool you are. Hurry up with that ban, would you?

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
Anyways back to to the topic at hand, I feel Pokemon Go will be forgotten eventually if it doesn't get more interesting content. Just my opinion.

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
There's this overarching tone of hostility throughout these forums. It's not pleasant and is exemplified in the last few posts previous to mine. If there's anything that's wrong in general forum etiquette, it's people spending posts within a thread solely dedicated towards taking jabs at others.... of which there's more than just one in here. Of course, if calling out someone for repeated offenses and calling them idiotic within a topic about a phone app is explicitly okay in these forums, then maybe I've made a mistake by coming here. I hope that's not the case.

WOW WHAT. What pokemon are region locked anyways...?
I believe Farfetch'd is locked in East Asia. Same goes for Mr. Mime in Europe, Tauros in the U.S. (yay. my absolute favorite is my country's exclusive, though it geographically makes sense), Kangas-whatever in Australia, etc. There might be others and the geographical locations of the ones I mentioned might be a bit off. But yeah, the general consensus is that there are region-exclusive Pokemon. Which admittedly is one of my hugest issues with the app. I can give a pass to restricting Pokemon to certain types of areas (so many Krabby and Poliwag down in Redondo tonight!), but the line is crossed when I have to take an airplane just to complete the 'dex. Unless the upcoming trading feature allows me to trade with friends overseas (and even then, how do I befriend anyone in Australia?), this is gonna be a huge problem once this becomes more and more apparent to other players.

Anyways back to to the topic at hand, I feel Pokemon Go will be forgotten eventually if it doesn't get more interesting content. Just my opinion.
Everything dies eventually. I'm confident the app will be in for the long run, though, as there's just too many ideas for this to just... fall out of existence. One thing that comes to concern is the battle system, whose simplicity is an a-ok by me. The concern comes up when someone like you brings up "more interesting content"; there's going to be a point where the battle system has to change and I do have huge doubts that Pokemon GO does not have a clear idea of what kind of battling system it wants. It needs to be made apparent that the battle system is made more... specific (?) so that in the case that it's updated, it does not run into the question of "aren't we just doing the same thing as the DS lineup of games?"

With that said, I can say for sure that my interest in the app will DEFINITELY die if there's any sort of confirmation from Niantic saying "we do not intend to add any other features to the app", when a huge focal point of Pokemon in general is the many things you can do with these pocket monsters at your side.

SpiralRhapsody

Full Squid
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
Im level 23 and my 4 ten k eggs hatched I got; scyther, snorlax, lapras,aerodactyl
.... Those are the only Pokemon I don't have, barring Legendaries. I'm jealous.

Dang! I'm only Level 15! I evolved a Dragonair to a Dragonite this morning, though! It's CP is like 1900, if that counts! :D
I caught one Dratini.

Never found another one of its kind again. sad days

Jaden Yang

Inkling
NNID
ethankyang
Im currently taking over 12 gyms, and their are people I know add their 1000-2000cp Pokemon so people don't even touch them

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom