• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

poll: do you like squid surge / squid roll?

do you like squid surge / squid roll?

• Yes

Votes: 32 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lisku

Inkling Commander
i like it because its good for mobility (duh) and it makes the game much smoother

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
i like them both but they feel a bit under-tuned , especially squid surge. but, for a new idea they have never done before they've done a really good job. it's simple and quick to input movement that feels really smooth. i think it's a given that nintendo games are going to have unique yet still really fun and smooth movement mechanics and that stays true for splatoon with the squid roll and surge and that's really cool.

cryfecta

Full Squid
the inner machinations of my mind (an enigma)
Pronouns
she/her
Switch Friend Code
SW-5691-3169-7019
They're great and really fun to pull off when you use them well, just wished stages gave them some more unique opportunities for usage (looking at you squid surge). Like a lot of other stuff in this game theres a lot of potential that the devs just haven't explored with em. If stage design took them into account more often then they could be even better, but the fact that they create so many new options on their own already is really interesting

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
The squid roll feels really natural to use and while sub strafing still exists, there are plenty of scenarios where squid rolling is better (jumping over enemy ink without losing too much speed, for example)

Squid surges get a lot of hate for not being useful very often, but I think if there were more spots on the map that required surges in order to access them, it wouldn't feel any better. It's like advanced movement in mario odyssey. It can be really fun and helpful, but it's never required for anything, because if it was, that would feel terrible for people who hadn't mastered it. Part of the beauty of that system, and of the new S3 movement, is that you can use it whenever, however, and however much you feel like. Squid surges are useful for climbing up walls that aren't completely painted, saving you the time of dropping down, repainting it, and swimming back up again. It isn't useful as often as it should be, and it still feels painfully slow sometimes, but it is still very nice to have.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
The squid roll feels really natural to use and while sub strafing still exists, there are plenty of scenarios where squid rolling is better (jumping over enemy ink without losing too much speed, for example)

Squid surges get a lot of hate for not being useful very often, but I think if there were more spots on the map that required surges in order to access them, it wouldn't feel any better. It's like advanced movement in mario odyssey. It can be really fun and helpful, but it's never required for anything, because if it was, that would feel terrible for people who hadn't mastered it. Part of the beauty of that system, and of the new S3 movement, is that you can use it whenever, however, and however much you feel like. Squid surges are useful for climbing up walls that aren't completely painted, saving you the time of dropping down, repainting it, and swimming back up again. It isn't useful as often as it should be, and it still feels painfully slow sometimes, but it is still very nice to have.
i don't know if im misinterpreting, but i don't think squid surges are advanced movement, all you do is hold B on a wall. i think maybe you were saying that they could have been treated like advanced movement like they just do something you can already do but better. like the example you gave but maybe also something like a route that you can take that is slower but safer vs a route that needs a squid surge which might be more tricky and has a chance to make you more visible. the problem is that this game does not support either of those. there are no multiple routes and there aren't a lot of paintable walls, and the surge doesn't go high enough and doesn't charge fast enough (unless intensify) to actually save you the time you would take to paint the wall + not painting it fully is risky and could actually be even more of a time loss going all the way back down and painting then squid surging again. i think that's why everyone says that squid surge is terrible and want maps that incorporate its use more, because it isn't something challenging to pull off and the way it works right now doesn't make it useful on the maps we have, meaning the solutions are either change the maps or change how the surge works and i think the latter is a lot harder. i'm also not trying to say that it's useless, it's good for not sliding down a wall and sometimes it can be used to surprise someone above you, but again not a lot of maps have places where that is even possible and surging activates jump rng so shooters and blasters go sad mode when they do that anyway.
you know what i just realized, a lot of the problems in this game come from the maps not being good, isn't that kinda funny? anyway sorry about my yapfest. at least it didn't last the whole weekend like normal fests though

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
anyway sorry about my yapfest. at least it didn't last the whole weekend like normal fests though
nah don't worry. I like hearing other people's thoughts about stuff.

i don't know if im misinterpreting, but i don't think squid surges are advanced movement, all you do is hold B on a wall. i think maybe you were saying that they could have been treated like advanced movement like they just do something you can already do but better.
It's less about how "advanced" the movement is and more a comparison of how both are extra options that you can choose to use that make movement feel smoother in some situations.

like the example you gave but maybe also something like a route that you can take that is slower but safer vs a route that needs a squid surge which might be more tricky and has a chance to make you more visible. the problem is that this game does not support either of those. there are no multiple routes and there aren't a lot of paintable walls,
I think a path that requires squid surge here and there would be fine, but if there were too many it would probably start to feel like a chore to do them. like, why make me do slower movement if you could have just made the whole wall paintable?
More paintable walls overall would definitely make it feel more useful without giving it too many situations where it's required.

and the surge doesn't go high enough and doesn't charge fast enough (unless intensify) to actually save you the time you would take to paint the wall + not painting it fully is risky and could actually be even more of a time loss going all the way back down and painting then squid surging again.
Most of the time I find myself using it, I tried to paint the wall all of the way (or thought someone already did) and then once I got near the top I realized it wasn't fully painted. In that situation, a squid surge is generally the most helpful thing to do. That really does feel like its only use case most of the time which is unfortunate.
It doesn't feel useful super often, but when it is useful it makes the game feel much smoother at least. That's what I was trying to say in my previous post.

i think that's why everyone says that squid surge is terrible and want maps that incorporate its use more, because it isn't something challenging to pull off and the way it works right now doesn't make it useful on the maps we have, meaning the solutions are either change the maps or change how the surge works and i think the latter is a lot harder. i'm also not trying to say that it's useless, it's good for not sliding down a wall and sometimes it can be used to surprise someone above you, but again not a lot of maps have places where that is even possible and surging activates jump rng so shooters and blasters go sad mode when they do that anyway.
Making it take slightly less time to charge would probably help, but yeah, it's kind of stuck where it is unless the maps get better.

you know what i just realized, a lot of the problems in this game come from the maps not being good, isn't that kinda funny?
yeah. Kinda sad how the map "reworks" haven't really been changing much

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
The poll should have a third option for a "yes, but..."
Because do I like Squid Roll and Surge? Yes, but the armor doesn't block certain attacks the way it should, and Squid Surge is only ever useful as a way to jump twice as high as normal. The fact that these movement options exist is fantastic, but they're so undertuned or unimpressive that it's practically impossible for them to take the spotlight. I have seen a grand total of one Squid Roll clip, and I watch clip compilations in my spare time.

Octmari

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Mackenzie
Switch Friend Code
SW-1311-4577-4326
nintendo simply didnt put enough places into the maps for squid surge to shine, in my opinion

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Squid Rolls are a fantastic addition to the game, and I think they've been tuned in the exact right spot. I really appreciate that Rolls did not obsolete Substrafing, both tools have distinct uses. Substrafing is still the fastest way to turn, but Rolls are a swiss army knife of other utility in exchange for a little less speed. They're good for traversing small ledges, they continue refilling ink as if you were still submerged, and they can parry. All of these functions are useful, but none of them are overbearingly strong, and that's how they should be. Especially when it comes to the parry, you don't want it to be a get-out-of-jail-free card. Do not buff Rolls, they are just right where they are.

As for Surges, they're very situational, mostly just good for getting up a partially inked wall. But I do think that having this way to get up a partially inked wall is good to have in the game, feels a lot better than realizing you need to get off the wall and re-ink it to try again. Not to mention that they're practically necessary for Fish Sticks. I don't think there's any point in buffing them, in fact I think they'd feel too gimmicky if you tried to make them into something you would use frequently. They do what they need to do, and they don't need to do anything else.

Last edited:

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Squid Rolls are a fantastic addition to the game, and I think they've been tuned in the exact right spot. I really appreciate that Rolls did not obsolete Substrafing, both tools have distinct uses. Substrafing is still the fastest way to turn, but Rolls are a swiss army knife of other utility in exchange for a little less speed. They're good for traversing small ledges, they continue refilling ink as if you were still submerged, and they can parry. All of these functions are useful, but none of them are overbearingly strong, and that's how they should be. Especially when it comes to the parry, you don't want it to be a get-out-of-jail-free card. Do not buff Rolls, they are just right where they are.
I would agree with this more, but the armor feels frustratingly useless sometimes. Mostly because of internet, I'm guessing. I'll parry something like a blaster indirect, get the armor sound, and then die anyway half a second later. If the parry worked properly then it'd feel a lot better to use, but... it doesn't.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
I'm a big fan of Melee so I really love having multiple movement options in the games I play. Squid Roll armor is weird but I think the option to quickly jump into another direction is really good and makes certain uninkable areas more tolerable. The armor is inconsistent though but I don't think there's any way for them to fully fix that so it doesn't bother me when it's already adds so much to the movement of the game. I'm okay with Squid Surge though, I think it's just way too slow to even bother using it most of the time. There's not enough inkable walls that are high enough to be worth using it and probably just not enough inkable walls in the game overall. I think it's a little more useful for slower weapons that don't have time to paint a path on a wall for maps like Flounder (I know I definitely don't want to have to paint again with Machine just to get a small spot that I need to swim across) but it's still very close to being useless.
Most of the time that I'm using Squid Surge, it's only in Salmon Run or Side Order.

I remember reading someones idea on Twitter for reworking it by having Squid Surge work both on the floor and walls. I'd have to check what they said again but I'm sure the intent is to make it a charge move that has has armor and lets slower weapons quickly charge on the floor and then swim up walls like that. Not sure how good that would be but it would definitely make it more useful than how it is now.

Dustrix

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/him
Whenever i visit splatoon 2, i die sometimes because i still think i can squid roll and surge, I cant live without it now

DChachouke

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
she/her and they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6147-2273-1817
Tbf, how can you even dislike them ? They're just free extra movement options. Sure, the devs did not even try to add fun little obstacles in online maps for them, but hey, extra movement is extra movement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom