• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Poll: Turning music on and off

Should there be a option to turn off the in-game music?

• Total voters

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Turning off the music would be great, but the sound fx aren't enough to make the game feel enjoyable. If you could sub in the music with your own music, that would be really cool. (And trust me, nintendo isn't that smart to implement that)

The reason why I say that is because the splatoon 2 ost isn't that good anyway. I don't listen to any of the multiplayer tracks and say "this is an amazing song, I'll listen to this one later." None of them feel extremely memorable or engaging. Even after the new music rolled out, I got tired of it and registered it as background noise in about 2 weeks. And whenever I upload a youtube video, I put music over the gameplay because the normal music is the same bland material we've been listening to for months. I would love to put just sound fx with some music I found though.

Small nitpick, I love this game, but the music is pretty bland. I've played games for fractions of the time I've played splatoon and instantly loved their soundtracks. And I love replaying them all the time, and they never get old to me.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
None of them feel extremely memorable
I felt this way until the new music was released in the update. These were memorable, just not in the way I wanted... I wish I could register them as background noise, because some of the songs, particularly the one that sounds like somebody is talking through a fan, really diminish my enjoyment of the game. It gets particularly grating when the same song keeps getting played by chance.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Well, that clearly ain’t true for everyone because I never get tired of the music. It’s too good if you ask me.
It's good that you may like it, but i don't. Having a method of controlling audio will literally hurt nobody's experience with the game and only improve it for those who actually want to tinker with the audio settings.
Unless you're like some weirdo who insists that everyone has, has to enjoy this OST like it's law and damn you if you don't. For those people i wish nothing but G&K teammates with E4K's till the end of time.

Nuclear Throne is a game that has an amazing soundtrack but once you get past the first 200 hours i can imagine people wanting to play their own OST instead. Even if the ost is super good, you can only hear Drylands for so long before you'll get bored of it.

Mr. Squiggly Squid

Inkling Commander
Unless you're like some weirdo who insists that everyone has, has to enjoy this OST like it's law and damn you if you don't. For those people i wish nothing but G&K teammates with E4K's till the end of time.
Oh, naw. I don’t care if someone doesn’t like th OST. I was just pointing out that you made an assumption that everyone was having a problem with it in your original post. Also, I voted for there to be an option to turn it off.

Last edited:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Ever since Splatoon 1 I've wanted music and sound sliders!!

Yes, I enjoy the music in both games but there are times when I want to listen to something else, turn down the music, or whatever without having to sacrifice sfx volume as well.
How do we, the player base, get Nintendo to hear our plight? A petition? I don’t think Nintendo reads forums the way Blizz reads forums for feedback.
Email? Physical mail? Social media contact? Take your pick or use them all.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
It's funny that you mention that. I was just talking about how either a song toggle option or sliders similar to what exists in Smash 4 would be perfect for this game! Splatoon's music is a big part of the world and lore, so let us choose what we want to hear from ALL the songs! I'd love to hear the theme's from the first game along side these themes. Maybe even get some good ol' Squid Sisters music to fight with. It would be perfect! So, Nintendo, need a good idea for an update to the game? Start here!

SP3CT3R

Full Squid
Honestly, I'd probably crack up listening to the sounds the weapons make, but I can see why people would want an option like that.

And if they add that, I'd like to be able to control the songs that DO play so that I can listen to Splattack and Hooked instead of Wet Floor's weak squit.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
That's what I meant with the toggle/slider option. Make it so you have more choice in which songs play on an individual level. A lot like Smash 4. This just seems like a no-brainer option that would make the game ten times more enjoyable for all of us!

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
Geez I never thought this would get this far. These are all great ideas(*cough cough* Nintendo...) and we should send them to Nintendo. I have an idea for that.

A new thread on here that sends them straight to Nintendo but have to be mod approved so it's not just spam. This would be a good idea so we can get our ideas noticed without haveing to do all the work (yes I'm lazy).

Also, we should consolidate our ideas.

1: Ability to select your own music from splat 1 or 2.

2: Have a slider for the SFK and music.

If there is any others or I'm wrong correct me.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I'd be down for this idea. So many ideas we could be sending to Nintendo to get things into the game that we love! Can we make it happen?

Yin_

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2325-6454-5517
Idk I hope so, I would have to flag down some mods but idk how to do that

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
Isn't @Dessgeega a mod? You can ask him if he would be willing to do some leg work to get this to happen. We all want this game to get better after all. Now that the game feels more like a proper sequel and not just a slight update of the original, this seems like a good time for the community to come together and make the experience the best it can be!

Ludic

Inkling
NNID
Ludic.C
Switch Friend Code
SW-2992-1972-6203
I wouldn't call this a very good idea if I'm honest
Considering a lack of music would mean you can hear the game better, it would become a "meta" so competitive players would get the short end of that stick and as a competitive player, a world where Splatoon has no music is not one I'd like to be in

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Ludic It's not about having no music. It's about getting to pick what songs you want to hear and how frequently you hear them. Let's use an example from Smash 4. Let's say that you are playing on the Hyrule Castle stage and you really, really like the remixed Gerudo Valley music that sounds like it is being performed by a Mariachi band (like everyone should :mad:) but you can't stand the song from Spirit Tracks. In that game, you have a slider option to increase or decrease the frequency of the different tracks that can play on that stage. I am simply suggesting something similar for Splatoon. Part of Splatoon's lifeblood is the music, so why not let us listen to any songs we like while we are battling? It only makes perfect sense.

Windstar

Pro Squid
Actually, know that I think about it, I don’t think the old music is coming back. The soundtrack shift is supposed to represent the music industry itself, constantly changing from one style to another. Before anybody says it is, no, it’s not poetic.

Just have to wait until Inklings go retro.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
@Windstar I thought that was obvious. The thing is, if they were aiming for realism (which would be one of the first times this game was doing so) typically the best songs from two or so years ago still get played from time to time; they don't all simultaneously disappear forever.

Windstar

Pro Squid
@Windstar I thought that was obvious. The thing is, if they were aiming for realism (which would be one of the first times this game was doing so) typically the best songs from two or so years ago still get played from time to time; they don't all simultaneously disappear forever.
To be fair, some songs like Tide pod Goes Out and Calimari Inkantation are remixed, but only in Single Player.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
@Drew Sebastino has a point. Songs that were popular a couple of years ago don't just vanish. If we listen to one of our lovely radio stations, we would still be hearing music from the 90s playing. The music industry may be evolving (easy way of saying following trends for more money) but the truly good songs never go out of fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom