• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Port Mackerel: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I really don't like this map. The little hallways in between the crates seem rather pointless to me, as well as the upper areas at spawn. In my experiences who far, once the other team pushes into your territory and claims it, it's pretty much over. No chance for a comeback at all unlike Walleye where it is close quarters but at least comebacks seem possible. The first saw it, I liked it. When I played about 7 times, I grew to dislike it.

I'm in the minority with my opinions but this is based on my experiences with this map.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I really don't like this map. The little hallways in between the crates seem rather pointless to me, as well as the upper areas at spawn. In my experiences who far, once the other team pushes into your territory and claims it, it's pretty much over. No chance for a comeback at all unlike Walleye where it is close quarters but at least comebacks seem possible. The first saw it, I liked it. When I played about 7 times, I grew to dislike it.

I'm in the minority with my opinions but this is based on my experiences with this map.
I've been on both ends of comebacks on this map, so they aren't at all out of the question. It's actually pretty easy to sneak past enemy lines and ink up their base if you can out maneuver them in the maze parts.

Anyways, nobody has to like every map! I'm none too fond of Blackbelly Skatepark, for instance, because I lose there most often (and the lag issues).

sunfallSeraph

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sunfallSeraph
That feel when the forklift pushes you into a roller

This map is alright, but my god that forklift is always at the wrong place at the wrong time.
THIS. I can't count how many times I've already been... uh. Tentacle-blocked? By those damn forklifts. It's honestly hilarious at this point. Did you just Kraken to counter an enemy offensive in the hallways? Better hurry up and retreat to- WHOOPS FORKLIFT GG. Were you rolling the halls to bait someone into following you into a cluster of teammates? TOO BAD ***** IT'S CARGO TIME. (I love this stage actually, promise.) :b

WiiDude83

Inkling
I do like the close nature of this map, especially with a kraken roller. But i'm having a hard time getting to the higher grounds around the map. Mainly because you can't climb them. Anyone have some strategies on moving on the upper ground of the map?

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I do like the close nature of this map, especially with a kraken roller. But i'm having a hard time getting to the higher grounds around the map. Mainly because you can't climb them. Anyone have some strategies on moving on the upper ground of the map?
The moving vehicles can be inked and then you can climb them to get on the crates. I think you can also jump from one of the elevated paths to the crates, but I'm not sure. I never go up there, myself.

WiiDude83

Inkling
The moving vehicles can be inked and then you can climb them to get on the crates. I think you can also jump from one of the elevated paths to the crates, but I'm not sure. I never go up there, myself.
Huh...I never thought of that before. I'll try it out

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
There's no time to fool around with the forklifts and crates in ranked mode, but in regular sure I climb them.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
I find this map extremely boring. My GF and I were taking turns with turfwars last night, and every time it came up I would let her play because it's just straight lines and usually a blowout for the team that spawn camps better. She likes it though.. so wth.

Also, very easy to rack up tons of points as a roller. I could see people using it to farm points/money.

NNID
Sarki241
A friend of mine posted this in the Splatoon (NA) Facebook group regarding his experience on Port Mackerel:

Port mackerel is extremely broken. I had an enemy camp our spawn the ENTIRE MATCH. No one could get out of the respawn area cause this prick would just either kraken or roller fling us constantly. I think the walls on the spawn area need to be larger so this can't happen. I started seeing it more and more tonight. On both sides of it. Its not sportsmen like and it definitely needs some fixing.
I'm also going to send this to Nintendo. Seriously spawn camping is the one thing I cannot tolerate.
Has anyone else encountered a player who did this? I haven't played on the map too much to see if this's really that bad.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
I hate this stage tbh... it's so hard to make a comeback once one team controls the middle

WiiDude83

Inkling
I hate this stage tbh... it's so hard to make a comeback once one team controls the middle
Well...that's the thing. Usually the team that was behind gets the middle point the last minute and then steam rolls the other. It's a very "pay attention to EVERYTHING" kind of map

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
I gotta admit I do enjoy the map a lot more in Splat Zones. It's still a really hard map, but.. maybe it's the lack of the lifts / keeping everyone on the ground that makes the splat zone version better imo ?

Life

Senior Squid
I'm not really sure how to play this map on Splat Zones. Granted, I only tried it once, but I was having issues where any time I'd go after the splat zone on their side I'd get caught out before I could make it. Since they were doing a better job of pushing, there wasn't a lot I could do.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
I think map awareness is key, especially during splat zone. You gotta pay attention to where the enemy's ink is, and try to ink over any potential pathways they might have.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
I don't want to sound awful but I find this map generally underwhelming from a design point of view. It's basically a more linear Walleye Warehouse. Nintendo have shown how creative they can be, but this is one of their weaker stages imho.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think map awareness is key, especially during splat zone. You gotta pay attention to where the enemy's ink is, and try to ink over any potential pathways they might have.
This is something a lot of players still have to get used to in splat zones. It is not only about claiming the zone(s), you need to ink over pathways and defend choke points so the opponents will have the hardest time reclaiming the zone(s). With the short respawn times, killing them isn't enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom