• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Port Mackerel: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

★Forge

Senior Squid
NNID
Slumplush
I don't mind it, But I don't LIKE it, For Turf War it's good, And TC is obviously Bad, It's just so small, It's probably best on Rainmaker Because of the Narrow Corridors, And Lots of Crates to hide behind, On SZ is just Chaos, The Splat Zones are WAY Too far apart, The crates aren't useful for it, But Whoever gets both of the Zones first is most likely going to win since the Zones are so damn close to the Respawn.

So yeah it's not very good IMO

NeoSeth

Senior Squid
On SZ is just Chaos, The Splat Zones are WAY Too far apart, The crates aren't useful for it, But Whoever gets both of the Zones first is most likely going to win since the Zones are so damn close to the Respawn.

So yeah it's not very good IMO
I don't know what you mean by "chaos." If anything, Port Mackerel is probably one of the tightest and most orderly maps in the game because of how it so cleanly divides everything into lanes. There's a clear system to playing the map. Hold right lane, dodge the charger by going behind a crate, bait approaches by waiting in one of the side alleys, and so forth. I think for this reason Port SZ actually has one of the most exciting and fun neutral games of any map in the game. To push forward and gain control of the enemy zone, you have to weave through the lanes and bait and punish very precisely. It's easy for a good team to maintain defensive positioning even with a squid down, so there's a lot of room for counterplay. The zones being far apart is what allows for this. I do understand your criticism of "whoever controls first wins," as breaking neutral can be difficult and I have won more than a few games 99-100 (or in that vicinity) lol. Spawn camping on Port is also INCREDIBLY difficult to break, depending on team comp, which can be a problem in SQ. But I feel like the neutral is so engaging that you have to work harder to EARN that spawn camp on Port than you do on other maps like Urchin or Walleye.

I used to really hate Port when I first started, as the vanilla Inkbrush was more or less the only weapon I played and Port is one of the WORST maps for it. But after learning how to use shooters and getting a better understanding of the game, I started LOVING it. Of course, the shooter I switched to was the CJS (specifically for use on Port rotations), for which Port is one of the BEST maps. So I could be biased. ;P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom