• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Preferred Playstyles?

wheatscuits

Inkling
NNID
wheatscuits
Do you like to go in guns blazing from the get-go or find strategic grounds and minimize ink usage?
Do you prefer to take the middle ground and hold it or go full blitzkrieg straight into enemy territory?

Include your modes(Ranked/Turf War), weapons, maps and your skill sets that may compliment your playstyle!

For me, generally whenever i play ranked(usually Rainmaker/Splat Zones) for Walleye Warehouse and Flounder Heights i like to carry weapons with a bomb sub to throw into enemy lines early on for distraction/infiltration purposes.

Another is I like going into Camp Triggerfish with a Splash Wall to create temporary cover to pressure/advance in that map. The .52 Gal and .96 Gal Deco are amazing in Splat Zones in that map,

So how about you fellow inklings?

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I usually take the longer route in splatzones and go for flanks with my roller. With the dynamo and chargers I paint the zone all the time. I often take the rainmaker or the tower and hope that my team is doing good..I never spawn camp in any mode.

Clementinia

Inkling
NNID
FracasCastle
I think it really depends on what weapon you're using! I switch between my Aerospray RG/Neo SplatShot, my Carbon Roller Deco and my Slosher. My Aerospray Rg/Neo SplatShot is for splatting ink easily all over the board, as they both have high firing rates, my roller for easy squishing, and my Slosher for maps with a lot of grates and high ground for easy kills and turf covering. The thing about the roller is that I usually use the Krak On or the original Roller because you can run people over, but with the Carbon Roller Deco you need to fling ink at the other team, so even that has very different playing styles.

SwimShady

The REAL SwimShady
NNID
Manfers
Map control is priority number one for me. I play largely support or defense so no matter what mode I play, I am all about spreading ink, making paths for my teammates, flanking, and stopping pushes. I can effectively play any slosher and swap them out depending on which specials work best for which maps, but honestly, my favorite will always be vanilla sloshing machine. If there was a way to look back in my splat history, you'd find that I probably have more kills from bombs thrown than from direct combat. I'm not afraid to make pushes, though. It just depends on the situation.

Goolloom

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Goolloom222
To me it's either rushdown with close range weapons and flanking. That's why I use things like Rollers, the Sploosh and the Splattershot Jr. Doesn't really matter what mode, I work my way around, even on Charger friendly maps like Moray. I go with Swim Speed Ups, Run Speed Ups and Ink Resistance 99% of the time. The other 1% is when I replace Run Speed with Ninja Squid.

Tuff

Full Squid
NNID
Wolfysmash
Getting an early stronghold is usually my #1 priority. When you're ahead right at the start you have greater leeway to make mistakes, and it's harder for the enemy to push back. I also just prefer covering options and walling out the opponent if they're still behind, as it saves me from having to make risky approaches. When our lead is blown, however, I usually go for risky flanks to disrupt their flow and give my teammates some breathing room. When it comes to Tower I usually play a Blitz style though, as I'm a decent shot and I've gotten good at using the spire to avoid shots really well. Sometimes if my closer-range styles aren't working I'll try a Long-Range pressure style with Dynamo Rollers or Splatlings to try and support my team instead, but usually I'm more of a close-range skirmisher.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Hard to tell from the inside looking out. I try to change things up for myself, but I'm certain I have some tells and consistent habits.

Currently though, whenever I'm thoroughly amusing myself with a brush of any sort I'll toy with playing it aggressively. In any mode. HilariLOLus results ensue. My matches are abundant with splatacular failures and saltcessful smackdowns.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Placing beakons and supporting team on gaining territory. Sometimes I lose my head and start going agressive, but that most of times leads me to a loss.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I like defense and support play. I haven't noticed a shortage of people who love attacking, so that usually lets me focus on inking turf or covering allies.

Vitezen

Inkling Cadet
I pick general purpose weapons so I can always be doing whatever the team most needs at that moment. If you are at the frontlines all the time it will be obvious.

sloth™

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ZombifiedZanne
Defensive offense with chargers and splash-o-matic, i tend to focus keeping the ground covered and taking out those who managed to get behind. Ranked, I just try to survive lmao.

Award

It depends so much on weapon mode and map. I generally prefer defensive/support positions and weapons, but like Vitezen I change up for whatever needs doing if it needs doing, however I prefer specialized weapons to general purpose weapons unless things have been going so badly I'll try anything to pull out of the losing streak. Usually I perform better with my specialized weapons though.

Overall I'd say I get as quickly as I can to get to mid, set up a defensive line, and secure mid. Whether I'm going full defensive with an eliter/hydra or more front lines with a roller, SS Pro, etc, I generally make the securing of mid a priority, unless the rest of the team appears to all be going to mid in which case I might backtrack to turf with a weapon that's capable of doing so effectively, or try to find a flank position. That applies to TW and SZ.

In SZ, I'll usually focus on covering the zone with most of my weapons, unless the team's problem is lack of killing, then I might focus squarely on killing and HOPE my team is not incompetent at both killing and inking. Sometimes I'm disappointed and although I prevented them from getting repeatedly splatted, they STILL won't paint the zone. Against higher rank opponents with higher rank teammates I'll usually focus on support and let my higher rank teammates focus on the front lines. Generally the same strategies as TW.

TC I just focus on the tower and on preventing flanks, whichever seems more important at the moment.

RM if the team is mobbed around the RM I'll go prevent flanks or scout ahead to clear up enemy campgrounds and trails. If the rest of the team isn't going for the RM I'll go that way. Recently I'm just always pressuring against the incoming RM to prevent knockout and there's little time for anything else!

Redx115

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Redzone115
I usually like to be aggressive and focus on splatting the other team rather than focusing on the specific goal (in all 3 ranked modes). Whenever I try to be sneaky I just usually end up tossing bombs and being lackluster so I stopped doing that.

luna_runes

Inkster Jr.
NNID
lilak-krypt
It sort of depends but generally speaking, I like to rush to the objective and hold the lead by splatting enemies and limiting their movement. Checking corners and lanes is also integral to my play style and I'm often able to neutralize a the threat before they have the chance to get the jump on us. I love the Sloshing Machine at the current moment and Bomb Rush is clutch for swinging area control.

Lately I've been exploring a more aggressive Charger style by using the Splatterscope, but I'm not entirely up to snuff with that, if I'm to be honest.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I like to flank the enemy, a surprise attack on 2-3 enemies can help out your team a lot in ranked solo, as long as your team notices what you did

Obviously, this doesn't always work, but when it does, it works great, and I'm generally pretty good at doing it

The map I do this most is the Museum, I can sometime get up on the spinning thing and just destroy the enemy team, once I got an 11-0 instant knockout like that

But usually, I just try to stay near the center to pressure enemies, and then go a little ahead of the tower/rainmaker as protection for the person with the objective

Award

I like to flank the enemy, a surprise attack on 2-3 enemies can help out your team a lot in ranked solo, as long as your team notices what you did

Obviously, this doesn't always work, but when it does, it works great, and I'm generally pretty good at doing it

The map I do this most is the Museum, I can sometime get up on the spinning thing and just destroy the enemy team, once I got an 11-0 instant knockout like that

But usually, I just try to stay near the center to pressure enemies, and then go a little ahead of the tower/rainmaker as protection for the person with the objective
Any time I try that, I get picked off the rotating wall fast. Any time my opponent does that we get devastated and/or spawncamped as my team is incapable of noticing where all that ink came from :rolleyes: If I have a shooter, blaster, or hydra, we're good. If I have a roller or charger, it's darned near impossible for me to be the one to get that invader out!

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I am not sure. I play the .52 Gal (the Deco variation, too) so I guess I like being on the attacking side of things? Never thought about roles in Splatoon tbh.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I am not sure. I play the .52 Gal (the Deco variation, too) so I guess I like being on the attacking side of things? Never thought about roles in Splatoon tbh.
It leans more towards offense with Seekers, but it's a capable defensive weapon and Inkstrikes are a great support tool. I think most people prefer to attack with it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom