• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Pro Controller Alternatives? Magic-NS Adapter?

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
I'm absolutely fed up with the Pro Controller. It's a faulty design. The left analog stick is always giving me trouble. I tried opening it up, cleaning it, and recalibrating. That fixes it for a few days. I'd just buy another one, except the new one could have the same problem. I don't even play much ranked lately, because I don't want to lose because my controller sucks.

I can't find any good third party controllers for the Switch. It needs to be wireless and have motion controls.

I've read about the something called a Magic-NS Adapter that allows you to use PS and Xbox controllers for the Switch. I'm ready to spend the money and get something, but I want it to work, especially for Splatoon. Has anyone tried this? The adapter seems to work with some motion controls and not with others. One reviewer on Amazon said it works with the PS DS4 controller. I've never even played a Playstation or Xbox, so I don't really know about their controllers. Just need something that works. With motion controls and wireless.

techton

Senior Squid
I don't think theirs any good third-party pro controllers that are wireless. Most that are wireless are horrible bootlegs that are worse than Nintendo's. I've never tried the NS Adapter and I probably won't ever since it can be risky (possibly getting your switch bricked/banned, because ya know, it's Nintendo we're taking about) and can be an overall pain to configure and set up. Even though it can sometimes be faulty, I would still go with the original pro controller.

What problems do you specifically have with the left analog stick? Is it analog stick drift?

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
I don't think theirs any good third-party pro controllers that are wireless. Most that are wireless are horrible bootlegs that are worse than Nintendo's. I've never tried the NS Adapter and I probably won't ever since it can be risky (possibly getting your switch bricked/banned, because ya know, it's Nintendo we're taking about) and can be an overall pain to configure and set up. Even though it can sometimes be faulty, I would still go with the original pro controller.

What problems do you specifically have with the left analog stick? Is it analog stick drift?
The controls with the stick just get real sloppy. Like I'll have it pushed full forward, and my guy will go, then stop, then go real slow, then go, then slow down...I kind of have to go side to side to get going. It kills my speed. My favorite main weapons are the n'zaps, with a kit built around speed. The Pro Controller really ruins it. I've read enough about it that I think this is a common hardware problem, especially for Splatoon players. Nintendo just won't admit it. From what I read, a new controller would be great for a month or two, before it probably happens all over again.

When I go into calibration, the little pointer is all over the place.

Lately I've been having problems with the left directional controls too, but those aren't that important.

techton

Senior Squid
Hmm... Did something ever happen to the left stick at one point? Did it ever fall from a place and land where the left stick is, or did this problem just come and worsen over time?
Also heard that punching the analog stick even lightly can completely jack it up.

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
It just happened over time and slowly got worse. No, nothing's ever happened to it to cause it to break.

From the posts I read of people who tried sending theirs in for repair, at least half the time Nintendo doesn't even fix it.

techton

Senior Squid
If this is the first pro controller you've bought then chances are that you just got unlucky and was given a malfunctioning one by accident.

I would just buy a new controller rather than send it in for repair. Plus, if you bought it from gamestop and you've had it for less than a month, you can return it and they'll give you a brand new one. I don't know if it's the same for buying it online though.

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
Maybe. It seems like someone must know how to make a solid controller. You should be able to get one that you know will work. I guess I could find the place with the best warranty and just plan on having to return it several times until I get lucky and get one that doesn't break down. They probably wouldn't like me much at that store though. And that's a lot of BS to do just to get one that works right.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
I have another adapter from 8Bitdo. I use my DS4 with it and works great.

But if you really want a good controller with motion controls, the SN30 Pro is the way to go
http://www.8bitdo.com/sn30pro-sf30pro/

But they are coming out with a revision at the end of the year called SN30 Pro+ which basically the same thing above but with grips.

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423

But if you really want a good controller with motion controls, the SN30 Pro is the way to go
http://www.8bitdo.com/sn30pro-sf30pro/

But they are coming out with a revision at the end of the year called SN30 Pro+ which basically the same thing above but with grips.
Perfect! This could work. Why do you like the SN30 Pro better? I do think I'd wait for the Pro+ because the shape is better. But I'd rather buy the DS4 now. I haven't tried it, but it seems like Sony should know how to make controllers.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
Perfect! This could work. Why do you like the SN30 Pro better? I do think I'd wait for the Pro+ because the shape is better. But I'd rather buy the DS4 now. I haven't tried it, but it seems like Sony should know how to make controllers.
I actually don't own one, but it gets a lot praise and has everything needed for a Pro Controller minus the NFC.

DS4 is fine, but it's gonna cost you more if you're getting one + plus an adapter.

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
I don't mind spending some $$ as long as I only have to do it once and then it works right.

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
That's it, I ordered the DS4 and the 8Bitdo adapter. New, combined $84. If it works right, totally worth it. Nintendo dropped the ball with these controllers.

Will let ya'll know how it goes.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
That's it, I ordered the DS4 and the 8Bitdo adapter. New, combined $84. If it works right, totally worth it. Nintendo dropped the ball with these controllers.

Will let ya'll know how it goes.
Just remember to update the adapter first.
http://support.8bitdo.com/ Go to Firmware and you'll see the latest update file for it.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'd just buy another one, except the new one could have the same problem
Uhm, not it wouldn't? Contollers can be broken, or even worn out (my original Joycons are both worn out).
This does not seem to be a very common issue or anything, so I think you're kind of jumping the gun blaming the Pro Controller as a whole.

Have you considered just using the Joycons instead of shelving a whole bunch of money?

Also, does the DS4 even come with motion controls good enough to handle Splatoon 2?

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
I looked it up on Nintendo's site, and a lot of people have complained. And they also say that Nintendo does a poor job fixing it, if you send it in. The controller is only 6 months old. I tried the fixes that people recommend, and they help, but only for a few days.

I could drop $70 to buy the same controller again, or $84 to try something different. I'll risk an extra $14 in hopes that the fix sticks.

Sifu

Look Behind You
Switch Friend Code
SW-3816-1808-3393
I've had my pro controller for nearly a year, and it works perfectly fine. I've never run into the problem you described with the controller, so chances are yours got messed up somewhere

Erebus

Full Squid
NNID
Grace
Switch Friend Code
SW-3893-5350-1423
So I just got this set up. Seems to work pretty well, except that the DS4 rumbles like crazy. Enough that it's pretty distracting. Like, practically throughout the entire match, it's rumbling. How'd you get it to stop rumbling so much? I found the Switch setting to turn off vibration, but it didn't stop the rumbling.

Also, I'd note that there's no screen capture button. Not essential, but kind of a bummer.

Chaos_Knight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Cha0sKnight
So I just got this set up. Seems to work pretty well, except that the DS4 rumbles like crazy. Enough that it's pretty distracting. Like, practically throughout the entire match, it's rumbling. How'd you get it to stop rumbling so much? I found the Switch setting to turn off vibration, but it didn't stop the rumbling.

Also, I'd note that there's no screen capture button. Not essential, but kind of a bummer.
Press L1 + R1 + Share (Select) twice to turn off the rumble. Pressing it once will lower the vibration.

And there is a capture button when using a DS4. You press on the touchpad which is the giant rectangle in the middle of the controller.

There's also a manual in case you forget.
http://download.8bitdo.com/Manual/Receiver/usb_adapter/8Bitdo_USB_RR_Manual.pdf

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I looked it up on Nintendo's site, and a lot of people have complained.
That's like saying "I went to Squidboards, and a lot of people play Splatoon". That's what those forums are for, technical problems and troubleshooting.

There simply isn't a prevalent issue with the Pro Controller's left stick. You just got unlucky and are drawing conclusions based on one experience. You're free to do whatever you want with your money, but you just got unlucky.

DS4 does have motion controls. It's just not that it's used much on PS4.
I know it has it, I just don't know how good it'd be in Splatoon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom