• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Pro Controller Wired vs. Wireless

Squirty

Full Squid
NNID
Squirty
I would love to see "the moment of press the button" in the video so that the actual delay can be tested rather the difference between wired and wireless. a 2 frame delay means 32 ms on 60 FPS thats allot! where a mouse and keyboard on pc have less then 1ms
Hmm. Next time I do a test like this, I might try to have an LED in-view of the camera so you can see this. Thanks for the feedback. This method would not be at all precise in determining total input latency, but could give a ball-park range of how long it takes to make a specific action with a specific controller/input mode on a specific game using a specific display for video output.

To correctly and precisely measure total input latency between when the circuit switch is closed to when the game code may have access to that input event... well, it would be tricky, and the result would be +/-1 frame (because you can't know when during the frame the game polls the system APIs for input). It becomes extra difficult because you need to know the exact latency (input lag) of your display as well. This test would likely need to involve slow mo video capture which would be very time consuming to capture and analyze. No way I would ever have time to do that.

Squirty

Full Squid
NNID
Squirty
I did a similar test some time after this feature was added an got similar results. I posted my findings to reddit, but it didn't go over too well with the fanboys there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...d_pro_controller_has_about_30ms_higher_input/
Hehe, there's a reason I never post on Reddit. >.<'

Very cool you got the same results. I'm probably going to do a similar test using my test circuit. For splatoon, it's something people seem to be able to adapt to and everyone really wants to make splatoon an esport, so everyone wants to be supportive of it (myself included)... But I expect the smash competitive community will have nothing of this and the Switch smash will die off like Brawl at best. Fingers crossed Nintendo fixes this...

knubie

Inkster Jr.
NNID
msteedman
Hehe, there's a reason I never post on Reddit. >.<'

Very cool you got the same results. I'm probably going to do a similar test using my test circuit. For splatoon, it's something people seem to be able to adapt to and everyone really wants to make splatoon an esport, so everyone wants to be supportive of it (myself included)... But I expect the smash competitive community will have nothing of this and the Switch smash will die off like Brawl at best. Fingers crossed Nintendo fixes this...
Couldn't agree more. Splatoon 1 was the closest thing out I've experience to a mouse in terms of aiming. A lot of which had to do with the low latency. Hopefully Nintendo is able to reduce the latency to Splatoon 1 levels, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this subject from the players. Hopefully there's more support in Japan...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom