• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

PROJECT SQUIDFEST: An IN-PERSON Splatoon Event / Tournament [Survey]

EirikN

Full Squid
NNID
Novaxxe

Hey everyone! Eirik from EndGameTV here. We're in the process of releasing a new website, our new Splatoon Premier League, hosting a Smash Bros tournament in Seattle, creating a community channel, and lots more exciting stuff! But of all the things possible, this is the most exciting;

PROJECT SQUIDFEST; We want to put on an in-person [or LAN] Splatoon tournament!

There has been some discussion of Splatoon tournaments in its days of infancy. But as competitive Splatoon developed, it seems as if these discussions faded away. But as the Summer approaches, we want to see if there's enough interest to capture the excitement of Splatoon with each other.

Please click on the banner or HERE to fill out the survey.
We're also on reddit.

This survey will be super important in determining community interest, potential locations, and more.​

NOTES & FAQs
- While this would be a competitive tournament, we would plan on having setups for casual players or those not participating to play with others.
- We would be interested in hosting an event with at least 100 people attending.

Help spread the word by linking your Splat friends the survey! Thank you!

Last edited:

YOJOEHOJO

Inkling
NNID
YOJOEHOJO
I've actually been thinking about doing this myself with the help a few of my friends and a PIP device that would allow for 4 player splitscreen on one Television. Of course though, it would be small unless I can find a venue cheap enough to rent out near where I live.

NinjaSquidboi

Inkling
NNID
Averyman
What about the nations capital ? DC !!

Hey everyone! Eirik from EndGameTV here. We're in the process of releasing a new website, our new Splatoon Premier League, hosting a Smash Bros tournament in Seattle, creating a community channel, and lots more exciting stuff! But of all the things possible, this is the most exciting;

PROJECT SQUIDFEST; We want to put on an in-person [or LAN] Splatoon tournament!

There has been some discussion of Splatoon tournaments in its days of infancy. But as competitive Splatoon developed, it seems as if these discussions faded away. But as the Summer approaches, we want to see if there's enough interest to capture the excitement of Splatoon with each other.

Please click on the banner or HERE to fill out the survey.
We're also on reddit.

This survey will be super important in determining community interest, potential locations, and more.​

NOTES & FAQs
- While this would be a competitive tournament, we would plan on having setups for casual players or those not participating to play with others.
- We would be interested in hosting an event with at least 100 people attending.

Help spread the word by linking your Splat friends the survey! Thank you!
Summah Time !!

Tifa

Inkling
Because this'll happen just like your other ideas, like the Mario Kart meetup. EndgameTV surely is the brand of quality.

Reactions: fat

EirikN

Full Squid
NNID
Novaxxe
Because this'll happen just like your other ideas, like the Mario Kart meetup. EndgameTV surely is the brand of quality.
Hi Tifa! I'm... sorry? Please elaborate a bit further if you could. EndGameTV hasn't done an irl meetup before, nor I don't think it's advertised one. I have personally suggested and proposed meetups in the Mario Kart communities, but nothing ever gained enough traction to move through with it. I openly admit a horrible memory though, so please remind me of my shortcomings if it's a thing.

We are, however, hosting a Smash Bros tournament this weekend Seattle at a really cool venue with some top Smash players! You can check that out here;

Tifa

Inkling
Hi Tifa! I'm... sorry? Please elaborate a bit further if you could. EndGameTV hasn't done an irl meetup before, nor I don't think it's advertised one. I have personally suggested and proposed meetups in the Mario Kart communities, but nothing ever gained enough traction to move through with it. I openly admit a horrible memory though, so please remind me of my shortcomings if it's a thing.

We are, however, hosting a Smash Bros tournament this weekend Seattle at a really cool venue with some top Smash players! You can check that out here;
Yes, you suggested the idea of a Mario Kart documentary. My bad, wasn't exactly a meetup. In any case, it didn't plan out and you completely abandoned the project and never spoke word of it again. There are other examples of your unprofessionalism such as sleeping on stream and not wearing pants during a commentary. I have lack of faith this'll plan out from the history, and your feverish attempts at covering up these incidents only solidifies that sentiment.

Reactions: fat

EirikN

Full Squid
NNID
Novaxxe
Yes, you suggested the idea of a Mario Kart documentary. My bad, wasn't exactly a meetup. In any case, it didn't plan out and you completely abandoned the project and never spoke word of it again. There are other examples of your unprofessionalism such as sleeping on stream and not wearing pants during a commentary. I have lack of faith this'll plan out from the history, and your feverish attempts at covering up these incidents only solidifies that sentiment.
Who said I've abandoned the project completely? While it would be best to keep in touch with people about it, it's a personal project, and I'm taking my time with it. I recently came off interviewing Baird over winter break. It's a venture I thought of a year ago and it's been put on hold. I hardly think that's a horrible way of going about it.

As for sleeping on stream... that was my personal stream? My very much personal, drunk stream? That I very much embraced and had fun with?

I apologize if my lack of pants is an issue. On that note, we might as well talk about how the events I've casted have been done with 300 dollar craigslist desktops, doing it out of my mother's basement, and for no money. You're going to complain about my pants when I had Marlin and myself put on dress shirts and ties. Come on now.

If you think negatively of me from this, than so be it. Sorry to here that, take care. :]

caLviN-1260

Inkling
NNID
caLviN-1260
The documentary thing was never associated with EndGameTV as far as I remember, nor was there any obligation to continue the project. The community didn't financially back it in anyway, Eirik didn't owe anyone anything. Not everything Eirik does is what EndGame does, there are a lot of people involved.

Also hosting a Splatoon would straight up be relatively easy. It's more a matter of picking a city that would guarantee the most teams attending.

YOJOEHOJO

Inkling
NNID
YOJOEHOJO
... I apologize if my lack of pants is an issue. On that note, we might as well talk about how the events I've casted have been done with 300 dollar craigslist desktops, doing it out of my mother's basement, and for no money. You're going to complain about my pants when I had Marlin and myself put on dress shirts and ties. Come on now. ...
If you wish to gain respect from an audience please don't throw what you do for that audience back in its face, that is being a martyr. I know you are probably just flustered at what Tifa stated, but just take a second to calm down and proceed with planning this event out.

@Tifa
You may not respect this user and what he does, but that does not give you the right to come into a peaceful thread bashing them. If you wish to discuss your disinterests and dislikes with them, then start a conversation with them over the Private Messaging system.

I wish you both a good day and I hope that this event can come to fruition because it would be an interesting sight to see.

Last edited:

NBaird

Inkling
NNID
BairdN
Can confirm, whenever this post is approved.

Here's hoping this can actually happen, LAN events / willingness to travel defines communities like these as opposed to that other one I'm apart of.

:ability_bombsniffer:

Aelo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Aelo_NN
I was pretty sure that the reasons for a Splatoon In-Person Tournament being so difficult to manage were:

1. The amount of players that would actually go. This is very important considering that a tournament can't be held without players actually willing to go/travel to a certain destination for the event. I know this is pretty common for games like Smash Bros. but I have never seen Splatoon fans as eager as the Smash Bros. Fanbase to go to a certain place for an event.

2. Money involved. TOs would have to rent a venue for a day or two. This involves money. This money usually never comes off the TOs pocket. Instead, players usually have an entrance fee and that money is used to pay the venue, pot prizes and other stuff.

3. SETUPS: This. I think this is the real problem here. Players would have to carry THEIR OWN SETUPS to have their gear and weapons available. Yes, it's true. You could have 4 generic setups with everything unlocked, but gear would still be an issue, considering how many top level players have gear with specific sub-abilities for different modes and maps, plus, the fact that people with pure and shiny gear would not be able to use those gear in tournament. I still haven't heard a lot of players willing to carry their Wii Us and stuff to a tournament. This is not like Smash Bros. were a single setup can work for multiple players at the same time with no difference at all. This would mean that if 100 players are signed up for the tourney, then you should have 100 Wii Us ready to be used.

4. Connections. Each setup would require enough LAN adapters to avoid connecting via Wi-Fi. Having the previous issue in mind, replacing each individual setup (cables, HDMI, LAN adapter, etc.) for 8 setups EACH SET would take a lot of time and would be very tedious.

I must admit that having a real life "Splatfest" or Splatoon Event or Convention is an amazing idea. I wish that I could hold an event of that caliber in my country, which I can't because the scene here is way too small, it's a shame.
However, I think you should consider those points, which I'm sure you already did. In that case, I would like to hear exactly what you are planning to do at the event regarding the issues that I have mentioned here.

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
Players would have to carry THEIR OWN SETUPS to have their gear and weapons available.
I'm not an expert, but isn't it possible to just transfer a save file from one console to another? That would remove the “100 WiiUs” issue.

Aelo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Aelo_NN
I'm not an expert, but isn't it possible to just transfer a save file from one console to another? That would remove the “100 WiiUs” issue.
I'm pretty sure Save Files are locked to a player's NNID, so just moving Save Files won't be enough to solve that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom