• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Proof That Analog Controls Are Competitively Viable

superhiero

Inkster Jr.
NNID
eRonin
You say this is high level play, but the power level in that match was only 1560, and the player is in B- so this isn't the best example to use. This Daze player might still be climbing though, so show another match when she is in the A ranks at least

edit: so you say Daze was in S+ in Splat1 and I can believe that; I just want to see her shoot at opponents who aren't standing still. I'm not saying she is B-, I'm saying her opponents are too weak to show off much skill here. Hope that clears that up.

Last edited:

cm250

Inkling Commander
NNID
holleyfam2003
Switch Friend Code
SW-4590-2580-6429
Sure the wording was far fetched but he was trying to get the point across that analog is viable

Phlox

Senior Squid
NNID
PhloxofBirds
It's alright. I was kinda expecting it. Having a solid discussion with people who give concessions to both sides is pretty rare
There's a reason why people don't give concessions to both sides, and that's because motion is objectively better than sticks. Motion allows for much snappy movement, and with practice, can be extremely steady in aim. Sticks, however, are too slow in general for lining up your crosshair (and this isn't even considering the problem of turning quickly).

In Splatoon 1, there was a well-known Japanese player named Yugo who used sticks and was considered a part of the best team in the world. However, he switched from sticks to motion because he saw motion as providing more options. After that, he became even stronger than he was, and Memories got even stronger off of that. Heck, the majority of people in the comp scene who switched to motion from sticks say that motion is much better, and nobody has switched from comp to sticks in Splatoon 2.

I'm not saying that you have to use motion. If you want to use sticks and don't care about taking Splatoon seriously, that's perfectly valid. However, if you're trying to become a competitive player, you should try to transition to motion because sticks are objectively inferior.

Maave

Inkling Commander
Those snaps were gnarly for all-analog. I don't play console shooters enough to be that good with analog chargers.

instantRainbow

Inkling
NNID
Moonpie413
Yes, you can be good with any type of controls if you put enough effort into it, but it's still a handicap. Sticks have zero advantages over motion controls, while motion controls are objectively better in every way, which was explained and proved before by many top players. The game wasn't designed for playing with sticks like other console shooters so it's more like trying to play a PC shooter with a controller. And most importantly, there is no real reason for people to use sticks only other than a sheer stubbornness to try and learn a new yet unfamilliar type of controls that will help you to be better at the game. IMO, if you're aiming to be a competitive player you gotta learn to leave you comfort zone in many ways.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I remember in the first game, I tried using sticks at one point, because I had so much console shooter experience under my belt, but the lack of aim assist turned me off from ever using them for real. I just ended up going back to motion.

But yeah, either control method is completely viable to use at the end of the day, but be prepared to work harder with sticks if you want to play at higher ranks.

Pain-ter

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Roflwaffle21
Switch Friend Code
SW-0599-1358-6686
It's alright. I was kinda expecting it. Having a solid discussion with people who give concessions to both sides is pretty rare
Sorry, I know I seem a bit obsessive with motion. Usually I would like to give positive and negative feedback, but I simply don't see much positivity in sticks anymore, now that Nintendo has improved motion so much for the second game.
I honestly feel that the sticks in this game are worse. I've played a few other shooters with sticks, and its always doable. But something about sticks in splatoon doesn't feel right. It doesn't matter what sensitivity I put it on.
At any rate, if she gets some S or S+ footage out, I'd be more interested in having a look. But unfortunately, B rank footage isn't that convincing to me... Although I think people should still keep in mind that this is one person. Most people seem to do a better job with motion, and if they want to get into S and S+, it will MOST LIKELY be easier with it.
But I guess that's just my opinion :/
(Again, sorry for only having **** to say about motion. The several times I've tried sticks, both splat1&2, I got motion sickness, and I've never had motion sickness in my life before that...)

leowtyx

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
leowtyx
Yes, you can be good with any type of controls if you put enough effort into it, but it's still a handicap. Sticks have zero advantages over motion controls, while motion controls are objectively better in every way, which was explained and proved before by many top players. The game wasn't designed for playing with sticks like other console shooters so it's more like trying to play a PC shooter with a controller. And most importantly, there is no real reason for people to use sticks only other than a sheer stubbornness to try and learn a new yet unfamilliar type of controls that will help you to be better at the game. IMO, if you're aiming to be a competitive player you gotta learn to leave you comfort zone in many ways.
Zero advantages? That's too extreme. How about just being "NOT motion control" is one advantage for example.

Same goes for Motion Control.

Last edited:

Mr.HawK

The Artist
The concept of controller gyro controls is almost strikingly identical to a computer mouse and pad. Motion acts as a laser pointer that points to a direction on the screen, the screen will then focus on the direction and will make that point the center of focus. A mouse/pad works the exact same way however this method doesn't use an object floating in 3D space as the "point tool" the mouse uses a laser in order to track the surface of the pad meaning that the use of the pointer in the first place is identical.

This method is to make sure that you have access to the most accurate form of play available, does this mean that sticks are not viable because they dont offer that kind of accuracy? Not entirely, no. Sticks are as optimal and as useful if the person using them succeeds no matter what. But if the rate of success is HIGHER for motion than sticks, then yes motion is more viable.

The thing about competition and the term "viability", is that people play to win and they want to use the best options in order to do that. It doesnt matter whether something is a different level of viability, what matters is what is Optimal: (best or most favorable; optimum. The best option). That is why people use motion in the competitive scene, because it offers the most accurate and most responsive controls.

Sticks are viable, But Motion is Optimal.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
The concept of controller gyro controls is almost strikingly identical to a computer mouse and pad. Motion acts as a laser pointer that points to a direction on the screen, the screen will then focus on the direction and will make that point the center of focus. A mouse/pad works the exact same way however this method doesn't use an object floating in 3D space as the "point tool" the mouse uses a laser in order to track the surface of the pad meaning that the use of the pointer in the first place is identical.

This method is to make sure that you have access to the most accurate form of play available, does this mean that sticks are not viable because they dont offer that kind of accuracy? Not entirely, no. Sticks are as optimal and as useful if the person using them succeeds no matter what. But if the rate of success is HIGHER for motion than sticks, then yes motion is more viable.

The thing about competition and the term "viability", is that people play to win and they want to use the best options in order to do that. It doesnt matter whether something is a different level of viability, what matters is what is Optimal: (best or most favorable; optimum. The best option). That is why people use motion in the competitive scene, because it offers the most accurate and most responsive controls.

Sticks are viable, But Motion is Optimal.
Yes! This is what I meant the whole time. Obviously motion is more optimal, I just want all the big shots out there shutting out the people that want to play analog. Daze doesn't like motion at all. She hates it. She tried switching, and couldn't do it. She plays analog by choice, and so do many other people. Ya motion will usually always yield better results. I just want to make the point that someone can enjoy high level play with analog also

Mr.HawK

The Artist
Ya motion will usually always yield better results. I just want to make the point that someone can enjoy high level play with analog also
While I did mention that sticks are viable, I also mentioned how motion works in the first place. A lot of people who say that " no use in playing sticks in competitive" kind of missed the mark when trying to explain one very crucial thing. In order to adjust to the game's flow and to actually learn various habits and actions, you do unfortunately need to use motion.

While I absolutely respect anyone who plays a certain way if they enjoy it, playing for fun is incredibly important and nobody should tell people how to play a videogame, but... Learning and Competing is a whole other ballgame.

Leedika42

Senior Squid
NNID
Leedika.TheGov
While I did mention that sticks are viable, I also mentioned how motion works in the first place. A lot of people who say that " no use in playing sticks in competitive" kind of missed the mark when trying to explain one very crucial thing. In order to adjust to the game's flow and to actually learn various habits and actions, you do unfortunately need to use motion.

While I absolutely respect anyone who plays a certain way if they enjoy it, playing for fun is incredibly important and nobody should tell people how to play a videogame, but... Learning and Competing is a whole other ballgame.
Of course. Competing at the very top is pretty difficult, and using motion control is definitely necessary for the absolute highest level.
However, just as I said before, Daze did compete with us (Calamari Crusaders) against teams such as C- and Chimera back in the early days of Splatoon with much success. Ya we will probably never win a major tournament or something, but we will continue to perform well even with our charger playing analog.

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
Wouldn't say it's not viable, just you're making life harder for yourself (unless you really can't stand motion for some reason).

Semi-impressive shots by Daze. Would like to see her play in Splatoon 2 S+ solo queue.

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
Well, anything is viable as long as you are generally good at it. Some people just can't change out of the analog stick and that is ok because I would rather have a teammate who is comfortable with whatever setup he/she chose.

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
People have beaten Dark Souls using a DDR dance pad and a Guitar Hero guitar. It's technically "viable" but still objectively inferior.

MakenTosch

Inkster Jr.
People have beaten Dark Souls using a DDR dance pad and a Guitar Hero guitar. It's technically "viable" but still objectively inferior.
Anyone who can beat Dark Souls with a DDR dance pad and a Guitar Hero guitar is a GOD among insects!

Cerebralbore101

Inkster Jr.
I tried motion controls last night for about an hour. They are faster than analog but aiming at the edges of your screen is impossible. The need to use the right analog stick for turning and the motion controls to aim, just makes it too complicated. I found myself constantly having to reset my camera. The cursor also jiggles around way too much in order for it to be accurate.

I'm going to stick with sticks, and up the sensitivity on them a little. I'm currently A+ in most ranked modes, even though I've been handicapping myself all week by grinding my splatfest shirt for ability chunks. Once I get all three star gear with the abilities I want, I expect to break into S rank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom