PSA: Online Hacking has been confirmed, unfortunately

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
Congratulations, you streamed yourself hacking to win online. You must feel proud of yourself.
You're right, I am proud. These exploits are over a year's worth of work, and now I can finally tell Nintendo to get their head out of their *** and fix this, and the only way I'm gonna get that reaction is like this.
This was a one time thing for a reason.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Well, yeah, you got us aware about hacking in Splatoon, which is probably not the worst thing... as long as you (and your team?) won't release this stuff to public, I'm not concerned too much yet. But as you can see a lot of people are worried or even mad at you, so I'd like to see a little more detailed answer.

EDIT: Ok, I wrote this before you posted. If you want to inform Nintendo about possible countermeasures it's justified in my opinion.

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
Well, yeah, you got us aware about hacking in Splatoon, which is probably not the worst thing... as long as you (and your team?) won't release this stuff to public, I'm not concerned too much yet. But as you can see a lot of people are worried or even mad at you, so I'd like to see a little more detailed answer.

EDIT: Ok, I wrote this before you posted. If you want to inform Nintendo about possible countermeasures it's justified in my opinion.
I've detailed it in other places but I guess I'll post here too. Basically, the Octolings I was able to do with a few string edits in memory with TCPGecko, and the modded weapons I edited a few .params text files that define how all the weapons work, and loaded it through my router, only I have to reboot the game every time I wanna change something. I limited the insta-cover to 3 matches for a reason, and in 2 of them half the room was my friends who wanted to see how it was. The rest were with my custom "Aerospray Pro" (which still needs some damage tweaking).

This was also to see how stable online is. From what some of the people playing with me told me, it shows the modified blobs even on their end, so my weapon does actually sync with everybody else. Still not sure how they do that, I still somehow doubt they send data for each blob. The Inkstrike spam was a little overkill, but most of those matches were still mostly against my friends and some online people who wanted to get in on the fun.

If you're thinking I'm going to try to hide this, nah, I'm even uploading those streams to YouTube. Never again, though. It's much more fun to poke at unused stuff and do stuff like make custom maps (working on a GUI thing called SplatMap to edit, it's how I moved Callie and Marie and did the resizing on my Twitter).

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
You're right, I am proud. These exploits are over a year's worth of work, and now I can finally tell Nintendo to get their head out of their *** and fix this, and the only way I'm gonna get that reaction is like this.
This was a one time thing for a reason.
You could have made your "point" without cheating. This just opens the door for copycats and potential leakage.

Calamari

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Toowrighteous
It requires an OLD firmware... and usually it's VERY unsafe to "downgrade" your firmware on hardware like this, usually bricking the console. The exploit ONLY exists on that firmware as far as I know, and I believe the exploit itself is currently private.
You could have made your "point" without cheating. This just opens the door for copycats and potential leakage.
Do you mean leakage as is leaking new content?

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I'm just worried for Splatfests. Or finding out ahead of time which is the popular team.

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
I'm just worried for Splatfests. Or finding out ahead of time which is the popular team.
Don't worry, we're the only ones who really know what we're doing, and stuff won't be ready to release for a while. I don't even think I can access that kind of stuff for statistics :\ it's probably all kept on their servers before being deployed at the end for results.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
So were the other people able to see the hacker playing as an Octoling, or was it client-sided?

1o2

Inkling Cadet
I'm not particularly concerned, all of the software used to even hack is exclusive to the hacker and his fellow hacker friends. Nintendo probably has picked up on the streams/vids and are working on some sort of patch. But again I don't think it's even a top priority, as I doubt this software is even available to 10 people.

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
So were the other people able to see the hacker playing as an Octoling, or was it client-sided?
Octoling is client side, since I just replace a string for the model to load. Since they're not meant to be playable (yet) it'll just read as Inkling on other systems.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Gotta admit this is some pretty nifty stuff to look at. NWPlayer is being really chill about it so I don't see the need for an uproar. Even if hacks somehow become widespread, remember we have NNIDs which I'm sure Nintendo can lock if they get reports of hacking. I really don't see this as much of an issue and more of an opportunity to see what people can do with Splatoon mods, like, have you seen what people have done to MK8?

That being said, keep on keepin on, this could be major if a whole subgroup gets into tinkering with the game.

Manta

Senior Squid
IThe Inkstrike spam was a little overkill, but most of those matches were still mostly against my friends and some online people who wanted to get in on the fun.
I wanna get in the fun :P almost every day I'm checking gbatemp to see if there's any new news that you and MN1 have.

Green inker

Full Squid
NNID
sonimario2000
I feel like I'm the only person here that likes PM. Sure on the outside it looks like vandalism, but on the inside, its doing things right. I feel this hacking problem can only be solved with one solution. We move the problem to a custom server. That way we'll be able to still love and play normal Splatoon, while modders well be playing on a modded server. Please tell me you understand.

Manta

Senior Squid
I feel like I'm the only person here that likes PM. Sure on the outside it looks like vandalism, but on the inside, its doing things right. I feel this hacking problem can only be solved with one solution. We move the problem to a custom server. That way we'll be able to still love and play normal Splatoon, while modders well be playing on a modded server. Please tell me you understand.
are you referring to Project M? If so, you are by far not the only one.

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
Or, like someone suggested to me, wait until the August update and do it in a private room with friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom