• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

PSA to Tournament Organizers: Halo-Style Map Rotations, an Alternative to Smash-Style Picks & Bans

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
I still have yet to see any reasoning for implementing a counterpick system in which its positives outweigh its negatives and logistical issues.
I mean, I would see no real benefits in using Halo style over Smash style for a month long tournament that would be all Bo5/Bo7. Except for teams that may be too lazy to discuss strikes and bans. Considering the existing imbalance between weapons on each map/mode, this is one good way to deal with it.
Thoughts on CSGO syle? (just by concept, not necessarily by the amount of time it takes.) http://prntscr.com/8q5t5b

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Thoughts on CSGO syle? (just by concept, not necessarily by the amount of time it takes.) http://prntscr.com/8q5t5b
The amount of time it takes is a big negative to it. But if put it aside it is kind of confusing especially to first time users and takes everyone's hands in the process (TOs and both teams), as well as has more than one step. It does have a nice bit of fairness to it though, as it requires players to play on both stages they weren't able to prepare for/preselect as well as getting their 'better liked stages, whereas with Halo it's basically just they take what they get, the former entirely on that, whereas smash style is the latter entirely. It's in a way a happy medium.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I come from competitive smash and I feel that the transition to Halo-style was a really good choice.
Tournaments are much easier to understand, and go by MUCH quicker.
Also everyone has access to the gametypes before the tournament which still allows for strats to be determined by the teams. I personally really like the system
Now CSGO is different and I as Fightersword said it is more confusing to first timers (*raises hand*). But if the time necessary for picks is taken down and people get experience, it would be a nice system.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
The amount of time it takes is a big negative to it. But if put it aside it is kind of confusing especially to first time users and takes everyone's hands in the process (TOs and both teams), as well as has more than one step. It does have a nice bit of fairness to it though, as it requires players to play on both stages they weren't able to prepare for/preselect as well as getting their 'better liked stages, whereas with Halo it's basically just they take what they get, the former entirely on that, whereas smash style is the latter entirely. It's in a way a happy medium.
CSGO is capped to 30 seconds per map choice. It ran long because of japanese translation. Zubola did not tell the jp teams there was a time limit. If you don't choose during the 30s time period it's randomized. Hopefully Inkstorm staff is staying on top of things and are talking to a developer to create a client that teams and all tournaments have access to.

My only issue with CSGO style is that almost no teams actually WANT to play Rainmaker, so RM is used as a game of chicken ie: RM on Blackbelly or Flounder to force the opponent to ban it or risk getting wiped once and losing the game.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
CSGO is capped to 30 seconds per map choice. It ran long because of japanese translation. Zubola did not tell the jp teams there was a time limit. If you don't choose during the 30s time period it's randomized. Hopefully Inkstorm staff is staying on top of things and are talking to a developer to create a client that teams and all tournaments have access to.
Well okay. First off, I'd like to think that we're on top of things. If you think we're falling off you're wrong.

A) 45 second time limit. We didn't enforce it for the English-speaking teams either, because it is a new system and such that we want to make sure everyone understands rather than forcing them to make a map choice.

B) We're in the process of developing an app of sorts that will help facilitate the CSGO ordeal, yes, along with a timer.

My only issue with CSGO style is that almost no teams actually WANT to play Rainmaker, so RM is used as a game of chicken ie: RM on Blackbelly or Flounder to force the opponent to ban it or risk getting wiped once and losing the game.
But some teams do want to choose rainmaker, so it's left in. It created an interesting dynamic in the Grand Finals, do you not think so? Also, there's only 3 gametypes that are RM.

IF the community does decide to come to the conclusion that RM shouldn't be played competitively, then It'll be taken out. However. until so, we need to force teams to play rainmaker to make an educated decision on the matter.

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
Please explain what gamemodes mean because gamemodes a b c d e f and the rest mean nothing to me

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Please explain what gamemodes mean because gamemodes a b c d e f and the rest mean nothing to me
Game map = the map you play on, IE blackbelly skatepark
Game mode = Splat zones, rainmaker, tower control, and turf war (but no one runs turf war). so it's the ruleset the map uses
Game type = the game map + the game mode together. So it would be like Splat zones on Blackbelly skatepark, or Tower control on Arowana Mall.

Splatoon❤️

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Lbggamer
Game map = the map you play on, IE blackbelly skatepark
Game mode = Splat zones, rainmaker, tower control, and turf war (but no one runs turf war). so it's the ruleset the map uses
Game type = the game map + the game mode together. So it would be like Splat zones on Blackbelly skatepark, or Tower control on Arowana Mall.
I mean like what do the letters stand for

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom