• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Raidcall Chat System Centered Around Splatoon

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I'm not sure if this is ok to post or not, admins let me know if not, but the recent issue of Splatoon not having voice chat really bummed me out. My friends and I have created a Raidcall, which is much better than Skype, to organize and chat in large groups. The Raidcall was made as a result of this announcement, but we also use if for other games on Wii U and 3DS.

Unfamiliar with Raidcall? Raidcall is essentially like Skype except ten times better. There's no host, so any ping that you are experiencing is all on you as it's server based (and free). This way, we can chat seamlessly with no interruptions by connection and it takes up WAY less resources (i.e. memory) than Skype which provides an even more thorough experience. You can have many different rooms within the Raidcall group, and subgroups as demonstrated in the photo, when splitting off into teams. Example: 4 people can be in the main Splatoon room, 4 people can be in Chat 1, 4 more in Chat 2, so on and so forth. The people in each subgroup will only have communication with whoever is also in their subgroup. Wanna switch off Splatoon and play Smash 4? Double tap Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and play and chat in there. It keeps everyone connected, but separate at the same time.

TL;DR version:
Features of Raidcall
-No hosts, so if you crunch out it's because of your own connection
-Takes up a TINY amount of resources so it doesn't add stress to internet bandwitch or memory usage
-It's customizable. Make it look however you'd like
-It features push-to-talk, free talk, mute, and noise cancellation. You can also block people that are annoying you, while still hearing everyone else.
-You can record hilarious conversations during gameplay

How to enter the membership ID:
-Download Raidcall: http://www.raidcall.com/index.html
-Upon booting up Raidcall you'll see this window: http://gyazo.com/a49b365aa31bf568831a28c27aa1849f
-Add the membership ID (10808013), wait for an admin to accept your membership, and start chatting. It's that easy.
This sounds perfect! definately sounds better than skype.
Will probably use this when the game lands

Reactions: Nia

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
I personally am not a big fan of Raidcall, I use Teamspeak but honestly it's just a preference thing. Sounds neat!

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
This sounds perfect! definately sounds better than skype.
Will probably use this when the game lands
I tried using it, I'm not so sure how I feel about it.. it seems very "ehhh" to me. Idunno, maybe I'm crazy.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
The problem with Raidcall is that Mac users cannot download it, which causes problems (trust me, I used it for a few Smash tournaments).

Reactions: Lyn

iDaylon

Inkling Cadet
I really think that the community as a whole should decide which voice chat application will be utilized for Splatoon because you will still have some people that want to stay on Skype due to preference then you have people that like Raidcall due to preference as well. A community chat on both application would make things too complicated in my opinion but just my two cents.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I think Teamspeak would be the best for everyone. Since it's easy to use and understand, with every needed feature, and works on just about any computer (I believe it has mac support but don't quote me on that).

iDaylon

Inkling Cadet
I think Teamspeak would be the best for everyone. Since it's easy to use and understand, with every needed feature, and works on just about any computer (I believe it has mac support but don't quote me on that).
Teamspeak could be an option as well. Like I stated earlier, it really depends on one's preference and having multiple community chats on all these apps just makes things disorganized. The community wouldn't be as a whole.

Xeiros

Senior Squid
I've used Raidcall before and had no problems with it. There's no need to agree upon a single option for the entire community. All that really matters from a competitive standpoint is if you and your three teammates (and the rest of your clan) are able to communicate. You can approach that on a clan by clan basis.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
I personally prefer TS3/Mumble to anything, Skype is definitely a no go as far as I'm concerned, lack of admin options, P2P hosting and a general lack of functionality outside of intimate 1to1/group calls. Never used Raidcall myself but I'd definitely be down to give it a try. Main question though, does it have a mobile application? I know TS3 and even Skype has a mobile application and I'd much prefer it if I could use my WiiU and simply have my phone connected to the app while playing to minimise fuss and make it easier for those without a Laptop/PC they can use simultanously to their WiiU without too much effort. We should really aim to streamline communication and the game as much as possible ideally.

Also the reason why a 'roughly' agreed option is pretty necessary is that switching teams, subbing/ringers and PUGs generally rely on mostly TS3 and very occasionally mumble is to streamline this process. I do think TS3 is the strongest option, for a very small fee which could be funded by donations or simply hosted on the same server Squidboards is on we could have a really indepth system of admins and room that would mean every team can have their own channel on the same server, making setting up teams, getting scrims and just playing as a community so simple. It'd basically be like a big party. A central lobby you arrive in and rooms to switch between at your leisure. Plus there isn't a need to authorise anyone if rooms are set up correctly, a public TS3 server allows anyone in with options for password for individual rooms. A plugin can also be set up for one click bookmarking and joining on the website.

Again I'm down to go with whatever we decide but those are my arguments. Not to derail from OP's post. It's a great idea and very proactive so kudos! However I do feel TS3 could be beneficial in the long run, I have yet to familiarise myself with Raidcall though so do inform me if I'm missing anything or Raidcall has any of the options I listed.

hellotherekyle

Inkling
NNID
kap10kyle
I will probably give this a try! Back on the other squidboards I had started a thread where people using skype could swap information, but I have still yet to log in and add people :( haha.

seanvanpelt2

Inkling
This sounds like a great idea. Getting a nice community together so we can chat during game play.
I applied last night. =)

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
I would apply, but voice chat isn't really an option for me. ill be playing the game in the family room of my parents' house most of the time, so not the best environment for group calls online.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
I would apply, but voice chat isn't really an option for me. ill be playing the game in the family room of my parents' house most of the time, so not the best environment for group calls online.
Well, nothing requires you to play at the same time as you're in RaidCall. You can always just tune in to discuss about things and find new friends or something :D I'm sure there's plenty to talk about with all these people.

Sycho

Lurking in the Ink.
NNID
Sychotix23
Switch Friend Code
SW-5767-2138-7496
Oh sweet I love Raidcall been using it for a long time now. So much better than paying for a mumble or TS server. Gonna have to check this out sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom