Rainmaker Mode Coming Tomorrow

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Capture the flag mode? Hell yeah. That looks fun.

silas

Inkling
NNID
newliefe
Ah, this looks really interesting and fun!
I was actually hoping that it was going to be a complete new battle mode or at least that you'll be able to decide which of the ranked modes you want to play (i don't really like that it's all random right now ; n ; ), but hey, guess I'll have to get used to it. :')

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
This looks SO much better than Tower Control, it kinda reminds me of Capture the Flag, just you have an Inkzooka on steroids :P

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ah, this looks really interesting and fun!
I was actually hoping that it was going to be a complete new battle mode or at least that you'll be able to decide which of the ranked modes you want to play (i don't really like that it's all random right now ; n ; ), but hey, guess I'll have to get used to it. :')
That is likely not going to happen anytime soon, if ever. The decision of having the ranked modes being "random" is because of the game's relatively small player base. Unless Splatoon is released to a different console with crossplay, that is not going to change, so...
This looks SO much better than Tower Control, it kinda reminds me of Capture the Flag, just you have an Inkzooka on steroids :p
Tower Control is great, tho

dapperlace

Pro Squid
They've made a tumblr post as well.

Splatoon US said:
NEWS FLASH! Tomorrow evening at 7 PM PT, a new mode will join Splat Zones and Tower Control in the Ranked Battle playlist!

Introducing…. Rainmaker! In Rainmaker, both teams compete to snag the, uhhh, Rainmaker. Once you’ve got it, the goal is to carry it into the other team’s base!

How’s it work, you ask? As soon as the battle begins, grab onto that Rainmaker! It’s guarded by a shield, though, so you’ll need to bust it out first. Once you snag it, head for the other team’s base. And be quick about it!

If you run out of time or get splatted, the Rainmaker will be dropped and its shield will also reactivate. The Rainmaker is crazy heavy, so you can’t Super Jump while carrying it. Hopefully your teammates will watch your back!

But don’t think the Rainmaker is just some shiny object - it can shoot ink like an Inkzooka. You can even hold to charge the Rainmaker up for an extra-powerful shot! The closer you get to the enemy base while holding the Rainmaker, the lower your goal distance will drop. If you retreat too far while holding the Rainmaker, it’ll explode sooner! If the battle ends without anyone carrying the Rainmaker to the goal, the team with the lowest goal distance will win.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
This looks interesting. Is the Rainmaker's non-charged shot not a one-shot splat? Because that's the impression I got, it sounds like a weaker Inkzooka when you don't charge it.
Can't wait for tonight!
EDIT: Just saw the video @Zoot posted and DAMN THAT'S A HUGE INKNADO
CAN WE PLEASE SEE AN INKZOOKA SPECIAL VARIANT THAT JUST SHOOTS THOSE PLEASE

Last edited:

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Welp, looks like we are going to get a mode which is even worse than Turf in terms of comeback potential... This is going to be interesting :D

And I'm curious to see if the inkbrush can play a role in this mode. It's very fast and could be used to rush the spawn of the enemy with the rainmaker after a triple or quad kill.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
(ง ͠° ͟ ͟ل ͡°)ง MAKE IT RAIN (ง ͠° ͟ ͟ل ͡°)ง
Sure, why not?

So...run speed op in this mode?
I don't see why, when you can swim with the Rainmaker.

Welp, looks like we are going to get a mode which is even worse than Turf in terms of comeback potential... This is going to be interesting :D

And I'm curious to see if the inkbrush can play a role in this mode as it's very fast and could be used to rush the spawn on the enemy with the rainmaker after a triple or quad kill.
I'm curious as well, though moreso for the Octobrush, Kraken might be kinda good and Beakons nice for letting teammates back-attack the Rainmaker. Inkbrush Nouveau should work alright if you get lots of Bubblers, so your team can survive charged Rainmaker shots. As for the regular Inkbrush... I wouldn't get my hopes up.
And yeah, I can see fhe comebacks already.

Last edited:

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon

I was going to make this thread dammit, oh well. It looks hype. I wonder if Ninja Squid/Swim speed up will be a thing to abuse in this mode.
This also includes how people will know where the rainmaker is, in which case swim speed up (if it works) will be a major factor in this mode if it is shown outside the map and a team should have at least one roller to clear a path (Killer wails are going to be amazing here).

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
So the surrounding area is covered in the ink of the team that pops the rainmaker's barrier which is nice for clearing out the enemy team briefly. I honestly don't think run speed of swim speed is going to make much of a difference when carrying the rainmaker.

veovis

Inkling
NNID
adelcs
I wonder if Ninja Squid/Swim speed up will be a thing to abuse in this mode.
This also includes how people will know where the rainmaker is, in which case swim speed up (if it works) will be a major factor in this mode if it is shown outside the map and a team should have at least one roller to clear a path (Killer wails are going to be amazing here).
It looks like you glow while you have the Rainmaker, and it looks like that glow is visible while you're swimming, so I don't think Ninja Squid would help very much.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys

I was going to make this thread dammit, oh well. It looks hype. I wonder if Ninja Squid/Swim speed up will be a thing to abuse in this mode.
I hadn't considered that. The Rainmaker probably negates Ninja Squid in some way, but Swim Speed Up should be fairly useful.
And yeah, I can see Rollers being useful here. Not so much Killer Wails, but that's just personal opinion.

It's coming tomorrow night. For some reason they announced it early.
Ah, didn't see that. Ah well, just means I'll be waiting a little longer. Still hype.

So the surrounding area is covered in the ink of the team that pops the rainmaker's barrier which is nice for clearing out the enemy team briefly. I honestly don't think run speed of swim speed is going to make much of a difference when carrying the rainmaker.
Well, Swim Speed Up could be useful after inknadoing a path for yourself.
And the Rainmaker gets surrounded by the team that pops its shield's ink? Nice. Makes sense, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom