Rainmaker Mode Coming Tomorrow

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I think that, contrary to TC, everyone is gonna fight over the rainmaker. Hopefully you don't get extra points for bringing it to the altar. (Yes, I'm calling the volcano thingy an altar just because.)
In TC, you have a large thing that slows you down to a crawl and leaves you vulnerable as the main target.

In Rainmaker, you have a small thing that leaves you vulnerable as a target, but with good mobility, and it FIRES FREAKING GIANT INK TORNADOS.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I just swam behind an Octobrush user and let them carry me to the goal. Best strat ever.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Does the rainmaker take away your subs/specials?
It does; along with your weapon. Also a good(but regrettable) thing to note is that Bubblers can't be shared with the person holding the Rainmaker. Tried it and it didn't work.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
After playing a few Rainmaker matches in Kelp Dome and Camp Triggerfish, here are my thoughts:
  • First and foremost, some players I played against seemed to forget this isn't a straight CTF where you bring the object of interest back to your base. In the first match alone I ended up stealing the Rainmaker from them on their own side of the map and led my team to an effortless victory, all because they delivered the thing conveniently to our goal platform without realizing their mistake. You'd think a hastening countdown and the lack of "GAME!" tape would have tipped them off that something was wrong... At least my last match had everyone be on the same page even though we ultimately destroyed the Bad Guys.
  • The Rainmaker itself is pretty devastating. Not only is it a souped-up Inkzooka that only gets stronger with a good charge, but it can also punish people who try to retreat to their base with it. Even the shield can destroy anyone if they get too close when the other team breaks it. I guess the timer and inability to use any other weapon while holding it are the only things counteracting its sheer power.
  • As for the stages, I like that Camp Triggerfish has a bridge directly connecting the two parts (presumably like in Tower Control) to facilitate taking the Rainmaker over to the enemy base. It certainly beats having to take it around to the mesh grating leading there! Meanwhile in Kelp Dome, those foam barriers on the grates leading to the center really mess me up since I don't believe they're there in other Ranked modes. At least there are convenient blocks across from the spawn points to take instead.
Oh, and I reached C+ rank by winning all four matches I played! Sure feels awesome to know what I'm doing in the new mode!

TheElite711

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Elite
For the most part I do love this new mode, a refreshing twist on Capture the Flag of sorts. I was winning all my rounds until the 5th or so and I got pushed right back to A in the 40 point range after I had my brief taste of A+. What also didn't help were a couple of unstable connections (one of which sent me back a rank). Still trying to figure out what weapon is best for this kind of map, and I haven't really gotten to a conclusion just yet.

CutestFish

Pro Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
Rainmaker sucks. Intense optimization problems regarding frame rates, numerous scumstrats regarding stalling, how fast the game can be over, etc.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
if you fall off the map it returns to the middle.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
  • As for the stages, I like that Camp Triggerfish has a bridge directly connecting the two parts (presumably like in Tower Control) to facilitate taking the Rainmaker over to the enemy base. It certainly beats having to take it around to the mesh grating leading there! Meanwhile in Kelp Dome, those foam barriers on the grates leading to the center really mess me up since I don't believe they're there in other Ranked modes. At least there are convenient blocks across from the spawn points to take instead.
Oh, and I reached C+ rank by winning all four matches I played! Sure feels awesome to know what I'm doing in the new mode!
If you mean the other path that the red gates give access too, that's actually the safer and best route to take. Its early, but from my expereince you shouldn't be crossing that bridge unless your team is super camp destroyers.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
So, after an hour or so of (usually my teammates) making it rain, I've got some thoughts on Rainmaker.
Firstly, on the Rainmaker itself. It's like a slightly different (and maybe slightly shorter-ranged?) Inkzooka, with wider inknados a the cost of a charge time (you can fire an uncharged shot, but it sucks, please don't do that) and not being able to use your weapon's sub or special (which makes sense, imagine popping Kraken with the Rainmaker and sailing to victory while invincible and you'll see why). While holding it, you can run and swim, though you're a bit slower than normal and you glow while submerged: this is really good, since being able to swim with the Rainmaker lets you swim up walls wih it, opening up the ability to take different paths with it, as opposed to the Tower Control tower, which just follows a set path with no ability to deviate (it's the closest comparison I can come up with at the moment). Additionally, the shield around the Rainmaker when it's dropped makes it so a total-party-splat doesn't immediately result in the other team running it into your goal while you're respawning (at least, usually; if you lose it right on top of your goal and this happens, you've probably lost), which I feel is a good thing. Finally, you cannot pass Bubbler to someone who's carrying the Rainmaker; this is probably a good thing, for balance purposes (invincible Rainmaker probably wouldn't be a good thing), but I was still kinda disappointed when I first tried it out and it didn't pass Bubbler to our Rainmaker carrier. And when I popped Bubbler, picked up the Rainmaker myself while Bubbler was still on (thinking it would keep the Bubbler until the Bubbler timer ran out) and my Bubbler immediately disappeared.
Secondly, on stages. The stages seem to have been redesigned a tiny bit, having a few things added to make getting around a bit easier while making certain paths inaccessible (most noticeably, at least to me, there are pillars leading up to the rope-walks on Triggerfish). This is good, since it lets the Rainmaker more easily get around and gives some flexibility in moving toward the goal.
Thirdly, on the teammates not carrying the Rainmaker. I think anyone not holding the Rainmaker has three important things to do. The first is to prevent enemies from shooting at the Rainmaker carrier. This is very important, since the Rainmaker carrier's survival is the only way you can win, thus making enemies near them priority number one. The second task is to ink turf to create a path toward the goal. This is also very important, as while the Rainmaker can ink their own path pretty well, that thing's on a timer, and every second it spends creating a path is a second not spent swimming toward the goal with the Rainmaker. The third, and possibly least important, task is to scout ahead and intercept enemies headed toward the Rainmaker. This is important because being able to splat enemies before they approach Rainmaker-shooting range lets teammates near the Rainmaker ink a path for the carrier more easily; additionally, this is probably the best way to deal with enemy Chargers while pushing, since they probably won't come to you and will back off when they see a huge Rainmaker inknado coming their way before returning to their perch to snipe again, so going after them will up your Rainmaker carrier's survivability considerably. And yes, the Rainmaker can deal with enemies and ink its own path (though probably shouldn't scout on its own), but it can't deal with ambushes and its timer makes every second spent inking its own path time wasted, so the value of non-Rainmaker-carrying teammates is still high.
Overall, I rather love this mode. It helps that I'm actually fairly good at it, or at least I feel like I am. I finally breached S rank with the Splattershot Jr. during the first half hour it was out, so there's that. Which I think is pretty okay.

Rainmaker sucks. Intense optimization problems regarding frame rates, numerous scumstrats regarding stalling, how fast the game can be over, etc.
Sorry if this is rather obvious stuff, but how can you stall with the Rainmaker (I'm assuming you or a teammate have the Rainmaker while stalling, please let me know if I've got it wrong)? And what problems are there with the frame rates? I haven't encountered any of this, so I'm rather curious.

CutestFish

Pro Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
Sorry if this is rather obvious stuff, but how can you stall with the Rainmaker (I'm assuming you or a teammate have the Rainmaker while stalling, please let me know if I've got it wrong)? And what problems are there with the frame rates? I haven't encountered any of this, so I'm rather curious.
The Rainmaker is extremely resource heavy making 4v4 engagements crazy laggy in framerates.

Stall strats include: if you are ahead in points and can grab the rainmaker in the last 80 seconds or so you can actually just pick it up then hang out until the game is over. Rainmaker is a genuinely amazing defensive weapon. On some maps, you can leave the rainmaker somewhere that requires a very lineup of weapons/specials and teamwork to even think about getting too. I included one place on Kelp Dome you can do this, labeled by the stars.

Attachments

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
The Rainmaker is extremely resource heavy making 4v4 engagements crazy laggy in framerates.

Stall strats include: if you are ahead in points and can grab the rainmaker in the last 80 seconds or so you can actually just pick it up then hang out until the game is over. Rainmaker is a genuinely amazing defensive weapon. On some maps, you can leave the rainmaker somewhere that requires a very lineup of weapons/specials and teamwork to even think about getting too. I included one place on Kelp Dome you can do this, labeled by the stars.
Ah, I think I understand. The Rainmaker does seem like a good weapon for defense, since you can smash attackers from a distance and your teammates can probably handle anyone who gets close to you. And yeah, those spots you starred on Kelp Dome would be pretty much unreachable once you got a lead. I suppose Triggerfish has a spot like this as well, right behind the wall you can ink up to reach the center from the right side from your spawn (would that actually work?). Wonder what other maps have spots like that?
And yeah, I could see 4v4 fights over the Rainmaker getting laggy as hell. It's just the shield though, right? The lag isn't as bad once the Rainmaker's shield breaks, yeah?
One more quick question: If you get the Rainmaker close to the goal, then move away from the goal while still having the Rainmaker, does your score decrease as you move away? Because my teammates always focused on pushing forward, and I could've sworn I saw my team's score decreasing at least once, but that could just be me.

CutestFish

Pro Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
Ah, I think I understand. The Rainmaker does seem like a good weapon for defense, since you can smash attackers from a distance and your teammates can probably handle anyone who gets close to you. And yeah, those spots you starred on Kelp Dome would be pretty much unreachable once you got a lead. I suppose Triggerfish has a spot like this as well, right behind the wall you can ink up to reach the center from the right side from your spawn (would that actually work?). Wonder what other maps have spots like that?
And yeah, I could see 4v4 fights over the Rainmaker getting laggy as hell. It's just the shield though, right? The lag isn't as bad once the Rainmaker's shield breaks, yeah?
One more quick question: If you get the Rainmaker close to the goal, then move away from the goal while still having the Rainmaker, does your score decrease as you move away? Because my teammates always focused on pushing forward, and I could've sworn I saw my team's score decreasing at least once, but that could just be me.
The actual tornado is resource intensive. The game has a programmed time dilation for moments of heavy resources which is kinda common because Nintendo decided to go heavy on the particle effects on a lot of stuff (Inkstrikes, bombs, inkzooka, etc). The score is based on the farthest you've taken it. If you got it within 10 points of the goal, thats your score unless you get it closer in the future. If you get to 10 points then camp it at your base you're good to go.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
So I played for a few more hours and...

I like it, better than my first impressions. It's intense. Still a bit too chaotic but Kelp Dome really isnt a good stage for this anyway.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
If you mean the other path that the red gates give access too, that's actually the safer and best route to take. Its early, but from my expereince you shouldn't be crossing that bridge unless your team is super camp destroyers.
Huh. Good to know!

I guess that match my team was indeed super camp destroyers, but for other matches I'll keep that in mind.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Huh. Good to know!

I guess that match my team was indeed super camp destroyers, but for other matches I'll keep that in mind.
'

Yea, it can lead to some very fast victories. This mode actually allowed for me to witness the "C'mon" signal used successfully. I was squading and I saw my teammate with the fish about to go down the middle. So I swam up to them pressing the "C'mon" signal to see if they would follow me. They did and it ended up being an awesome win. Seeing that signal work was probably the highlight of my night.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Give the meta like, at least a day or so to develop before you start complaining about stalling. It's only been a few hours!
This right here. For those first few hours of Tower Control I hated it. It felt like who ever got the tower first won. You gotta wait for people to develop counter strategies against these stalls. And then, only then, will the mode truly develop into something.

superhiero

Inkster Jr.
NNID
eRonin
Stalling doesn't even really work, there's a timer that prevents one person from hanging on too long, and apparently being close to your base makes that timer go down faster. ALSO in the event that you might actually get splatted close to your base, that just puts the rainmaker right where the enemy wants it to be. The best place for the rainmaker to be for your team is as close to the enemy goal as possible.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
It does; along with your weapon. Also a good(but regrettable) thing to note is that Bubblers can't be shared with the person holding the Rainmaker. Tried it and it didn't work.
I'm actually really pleased to learn that.
I'll give it time, but I'm kind of on the fence about it.
On one hand it can end really quickly so its probably the fastest mode to grind money in(ofc talking you win most of your matches)
On the other hand it feels a little harder than it should be to make a comeback in. Oh well, splatzones is still my favorite mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom