Rainmaker Mode Coming Tomorrow

DWK

Inkling
NNID
danceswithkoopas
This more than any other mode demands regional lobbies. It took me three games to realise I'm not going to get anywhere in Rainmaker when up against Japanese players who are invulnerable to my ink. I can shoot the rainmaker straight at them but it won't do any good. I can be hiding around the corner, waiting for them, and they can just kill me while not aiming in my direction with it. That really does limit my strategic options!!

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
The actual tornado is resource intensive. The game has a programmed time dilation for moments of heavy resources which is kinda common because Nintendo decided to go heavy on the particle effects on a lot of stuff (Inkstrikes, bombs, inkzooka, etc). The score is based on the farthest you've taken it. If you got it within 10 points of the goal, thats your score unless you get it closer in the future. If you get to 10 points then camp it at your base you're good to go.
Ah, what do you mean by time dilation? Is that why I occasionally can't see Inkzooka shots as they're being fired (I know some of that is lag, but sometimes there are just straight-up invisible shots, like they're firing nothing)? Or just slow-down I somehow haven't encountered/noticed?
Also, is the shield resource-intensive as well? Because that looks like it might be, especially when a bunch of people are shooting at it at once.
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very curious as to potential problems Rainmaker may have, since I seem to be doing really well in it at the moment (though some or most of that may be my teammates, since they actually hold the Rainmaker 90% of the time).

Stalling doesn't even really work, there's a timer that prevents one person from hanging on too long, and apparently being close to your base makes that timer go down faster. ALSO in the event that you might actually get splatted close to your base, that just puts the rainmaker right where the enemy wants it to be. The best place for the rainmaker to be for your team is as close to the enemy goal as possible.
Well actually, you could just get really close to the enemy goal, then retreat (only if there are enemies, otherwise go for the KO), take it to an area in your base that's difficult to reach for invaders, let the Rainmaker explode (while your three other teammates are a safe distance away, hopefully), then guard the Rainmaker-bubble until time runs out. That corner behind the ramp to the center on the right side of the spawn in Kelp Dome is an example, and I think the platform behind the wall you can ink up to reach the center on the path to the left of the spawn point in Triggerfish could work too. This is just theoretical for me, and it's probably fairly risky, since if they get it back they're a shorter distance from your goal than they probably would be if they got it deep in their territory (although, if your team's lead is big enough, the fact that you're respawning at your base shortly after they get the Rainmaker (at worst; you could possibly respawn before that and just set up a defense, since you know where they'll be headed) should mean you can take them out before they get the lead or hold them off until the Rainmaker explodes on them), but if it works it could win the match for you.

Personally, I really enjoy rainmaker mode so far, it's like capture the flag but the opposite where you and your team have to move forward ino enemy territory. And it's also allot like American football but with guns!
Yeah, despite any flaws it may have, I love playing Rainmaker. It's just so much fun!
And yeah, it is kinda like that, haha.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
Reminds me a lot of TFC's Hunted gametype. I see too many players ignoring the objective or just being dumb about it, making me feel a little iffy about going into solo ranked with this mode up. Organized teams should be a lot of fun here, I think.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
Played Rainmaker in Squads on Saltspray and TWICE the opposing team took the lead with the rain maker, hauled to the big area at the north of the map, and camped. And won. Wow. Disgusting. I really hope Saltspray's big section gets blocked off in this mode in the future, it's useless unless you're using that disgusting "tactic".

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Played Rainmaker in Squads on Saltspray and TWICE the opposing team took the lead with the rain maker, hauled to the big area at the north of the map, and camped. And won. Wow. Disgusting. I really hope Saltspray's big section gets blocked off in this mode in the future, it's useless unless you're using that disgusting "tactic".
And yet, there are people who think its too soon, to say this mode needs a rework.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
I say it's too soon to write off teh mode. We gotta find counter-measures to these tactics. Then development will begin.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
And yet, there are people who think its too soon, to say this mode needs a rework.
Well, maybe a total rework of the mode is a bit much, but perhaps modifying some of the stages would be a good call. For example, putting bags & billboards on Saltspray to block off the top area if it isn't going to be used would be a good move. And maybe add an inkable wall to Kelp Dome where the ramp to the corner is (go straight to the right from the spawn point and hug the wall, you'll reach the ramp, put the wall on the other side of that, or maybe just put a tallish inkable block on that wall like you have when you go forward from your spawn point to reach the center) to make camping in the corner next to it more difficult. Maybe other modifications could be good as well, I've only played four stages on Rainmaker so I dunno about the others (Blackbelly and Triggerfish seem okay from my experience, though Triggerfish might be a problem if camping behind the wall to the left of the spawn point that you can ink up to reach the center is a workable camping strategy, but I haven't seen/tested that yet so... And I mentioned Saltspray and Kelp Dome above). But I could be wrong.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
To remove the whole camping aspect, when you kill someone holding the rainmaker, it should not stay on the ground any longer than say, 30 seconds. There are some are strats, where if they get the setup, you basically lost.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
The ranimaker shoudl respawn at the spawn point of it as well. I think the paths need to be a bit more linear, with inflatables blocking off some of the unneded areas.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
The ranimaker shoudl respawn at the spawn point of it as well. I think the paths need to be a bit more linear, with inflatables blocking off some of the unneded areas.
The Rainmaker respawning after being dropped would be a good addition, like how the Tower returns to the middle after being lost, perhaps with a brief timer before it pops over to its starting point so a team could keep up an offensive if they're near the Rainmaker and clear the enemy team out quickly enough.
But really, the only area I think is unnecessary enough to require blocking is that top area on Saltspray. I can't come up with any others, though I might not have played on the stages you were thinking of. By the way, what unneeded areas were you thinking of?

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
The Rainmaker respawning after being dropped would be a good addition, like how the Tower returns to the middle after being lost, perhaps with a brief timer before it pops over to its starting point so a team could keep up an offensive if they're near the Rainmaker and clear the enemy team out quickly enough.
But really, the only area I think is unnecessary enough to require blocking is that top area on Saltspray. I can't come up with any others, though I might not have played on the stages you were thinking of. By the way, what unneeded areas were you thinking of?
Well for example blackbelly gives you multiople paths. Why would you take any of the longer paths 8/10 times when you have a straight shot to the zone? Simply put some inflatables in that straight path to make it more difficult to reach the stand. That is just one way that I thought of. there are probably some better solutions, but idk.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
Block off the North area in Saltspray, and make the Rainmaker respawn if no one shoots at it after 5 seconds of being dropped.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Well for example blackbelly gives you multiople paths. Why would you take any of the longer paths 8/10 times when you have a straight shot to the zone? Simply put some inflatables in that straight path to make it more difficult to reach the stand. That is just one way that I thought of. there are probably some better solutions, but idk.
They would have to do that to alot of maps. Kelp Dome and Triggerfish also have faster routes.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
They would have to do that to alot of maps. Kelp Dome and Triggerfish also have faster routes.
ohh yeah totally agree. Honestly, Port Mackeral isn't oto bad just because how the map is made. But just about every map has that problem.

Dreamy Luigi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DreamyZack
Not sure if this is a smart suggestion but, what if the score isn't based on how close your team carries the rainmaker to the opposing mount, but rather, how close the Rainmaker gets to the opposing mount, whether the opposing team carries it or, of course, your own. I say this for situations where teams will camp at their base to protect their lead in the final closing moments of the game. This wouldn't fix Saltspray (again, just block off the area and that's fixed) but it'd fix possible problems for the rest of the maps in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom