• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Random Players and their amazing inability to Squid Jump.

Pikmin-ism42

Inkling
Is it just me, or do a lot of players seem to repeatedly fail at Squid Jumping to important locations and instead decide to swim their way towards whoever is in dire need of assistance?... ESPECIALLY in Rainmaker mode?
I often find myself carrying the Rainmaker all by myself somewhere near the enemy camp, then dying and realizing that all my teammates were doing bugger all somewhere far away from me, or carrying the Rainmaker, looking at the map and seeing freshly respawned teammates trying to run all the way to my general location instead of Squid Jumping.

Lyre

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Muddybob
Depends... if all your enemies are up, but your allies are just respawning, why would you squid jump to the point of interest? In all likelihood you aren't going to live that much longer, and throwing more squid jumps in there just means more downtime for your team.
Squid jumps are unsafe without ninja jump. And even with it it's unsafe as well. If you happened to wipe them somehow with the rainmaker, yeah by all means squid jumping should be valid.
Other maps simply are too small to use squid jump, like blackbelly. It might be faster and safer to swim if they don't have speed jump.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Hey dude, i do superjump to the rainmaker even if (s)he's isolated, just so that the horde of angry baddies chasing you will waste precious seconds staying behind to fire at my indicator. Every point counts!
(No wonder i'm not that good with rainmaker...)

I get annoyed if i'm hauling the rainmaker and everyone is doing whatever, i even wait and see if someone will chase and help me but then the enemy horde arrives to claim the rainmaker from my dead body.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
I think you could learn a thing or two from them. In all likely hood, they foresaw your death and decided it was not intelligent to waste efforts by super jumping there. I will sometimes do it when I have stealth jump as a gear ability, but otherwise it is a fairly stupid thing to do.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Well, since I often play defensively with long-range weapons (and most teams I'm paired with are more often than not fighting the enemy face-to-face) I tend to just swim up to a vantage point instead of Super Jumping and paint whatever I can while I'm at it. Last time I used Super Jump on an ally I was splatted right after landing by a Blaster, so I guess that sealed the deal.

Honestly though, sometimes I wish my team didn't Super Jump; I've had a lot of games where as soon as someone respawns they just spam the Super Jump on me without even checking if I'm being swarmed by the enemy or if I'm falling back, so they often get splatted very quickly unless I pull out a Rambo moment and get rid of the enemy before they land (and that pinging... oh God, the pinging :confused:)

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Jumping has to be thought out. When I get splatted, I look at the map to see where everybody is and what's going on around them. If there is a bunch of enemy ink closing in on them, I hoof it.

I mostly jump to Chargers who are safe in a perch somewhere, and to Beakons, because Beakons are often placed in safe locations by anybody who actually uses the Beakons.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
I look at the map carefully before jumping. Quite alot of the time, it's a bad idea. And I tend to play a defensive role anyway, either using long range to hold areas, or ambushing those that might attempt to cross past the "center" of the map and then taking the areas they grabbed. In those cases, I've found it's more effective to swim to positions most of the time.

Or in ranked modes, defending whatever thing I'm supposed to not let them have. Which makes it kind of annoying if I have to pick up the Rainmaker in that mode.

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
It doesnt always come off the way you want when squid jumping. If the tower or rain maker is in the enemy base and my teammate is isolated. I will jump in the hope on pushing that extra bit to break their lead/reach the knockout. Othertimes, I will decide not to and take up a defensive position to delay a counter attack and regroup with my teammates who have likely died.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Super-jumping is a bad idea most ot the time. Period. The problem is, the situation on the map can change very quickly, so the information you have when deciding to whom to jump is outdated when you arrive. And on most maps it actually takes only about 4 seconds longer to swim up to the center instead of jumping.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I rarely Super Jump, so I also re-reroll/avoid gear that speeds up Super Jumping.
It's quite risky, and if I'm in Turf War I would rather swim and ink some missed places along the way.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
In Turf War, I tend to go over hometurf with my brush to cover any spots we missed on the initial advance (or to remove that circular patch of Inkstrike from the enemy!), so I don't just Squid Jump out into the fray immediately.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Oooooooooh right.

One thing I've always wanted to try to do is retreat Squid Jump back to base when I'm in danger, but I never remember to do it because I always try to (and usually fail) to take my opponent down with me.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Super Jumping is the single most dangerous gamble in the game, and the reward does not always match the risk. I only do it if I need to be very far on the other side of the map fast and am confident it's probably safe - enemies are all dead or there's a teammate standing far back enough from enemy ink. But when in doubt, don't risk it. Yes, swimming may take a few extra seconds, but dying takes longer!

Pikmin-ism42

Inkling
These are all rather good arguments, but I still find it rather odd that often I find that people would rather goof off somewhere else and leave me by myself in enemy territory as if they were thinking "Eh, he could probably fare well on his own, he's the Rainmaker after all!"

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
These are all rather good arguments, but I still find it rather odd that often I find that people would rather goof off somewhere else and leave me by myself in enemy territory as if they were thinking "Eh, he could probably fare well on his own, he's the Rainmaker after all!"
If you really feel like you are having trouble, wait a second, and spam "Come On!" (Or your regional equivalent), and they most likely will come running. Chances are though, they might be having some 1v1's, which is commonly why I myself sometimes miss tracking the main objective, so they might take a second.

Beerox

Inkster Jr.
I'd rather they swim.
People jump to the middle of the action way too much, they can be spotted after the match with "4/12" next to their name. How on earth could you die 12 times? There is only 1 way - quick jumping over and over.

If someone is 2/3 of the way forward or so I'll jump to them, but never to the middle. Insta-splat is a bad thing!

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I prefer to jump to teammates standing in sniping positions. As a frontline Brush user I've had teammates jump to me while I'm in a relatively cosy place inside the enemy half (like the high side alleyway in Arowana). Once I had a careless teammate jump in while I was retreating from a Tentatek user. Didn't have a chance to see what happened to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom