• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon 2 Rank "X" is ahead: Discussion thread

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
Good thing I'm one of the 1% heheheheh

For real though, I'm glad they're changing up ranked and actually looking at the ranked system a bit closer. It gives people motivation to play solo ranked again, and I'm excited to see the worth of a mode I play all the time finally retain itself again.

Just so I'm not mumbling here all the time about a mode that really doesn't work anymore.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Honestly I don’t see why they have to create a whole new rank for this. Just apply all that stuff to S+

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
@MotorGamer Everybody is already in S+ though. Granted, if the system works as it should, they should all rank down from it...

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
@MotorGamer Everybody is already in S+ though. Granted, if the system works as it should, they should all rank down from it...
Well, that's what you see a lot of people believe. But it turns out us S+ players are blinded in our bubble. If you look at the statistics on the site I linked to, you see this:

Current rank percentages for players in Splatoon 2

Rank S+10 to S+50: 1%
Rank S+ to Rank S+9: 6.6%
Rank S: 5.4%
Rank A- to Rank A+: 21.4%
Rank B- to B+: 33.6%
Rank C- to C+: 32%

So in total, only 7,6% of the players are S+. And only even 1% are eligible for Rank X right now. This amazed me, as I thought anyone could just "grind" to S+. But I suppose there are greater skill differences than I thought.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Well, that's what you see a lot of people believe. But it turns out us S+ players are blinded in our bubble. If you look at the statistics on the site I linked to, you see this:

Current rank percentages for players in Splatoon 2

Rank S+10 to S+50: 1%
Rank S+ to Rank S+9: 6.6%
Rank S: 5.4%
Rank A- to Rank A+: 21.4%
Rank B- to B+: 33.6%
Rank C- to C+: 32%

So in total, only 7,6% of the players are S+. And only even 1% are eligible for Rank X right now. This amazed me, as I thought anyone could just "grind" to S+. But I suppose there are greater skill differences than I thought.
Keep in mind that grinding to S+, if you're not S+ quality, can take A LOT of time. You keep kind of seeing the quality in S+ drop Every so often about 2-3 months after each Splatoon influx. I've noticed the quality in S+ REALLY drop the last few weeks (to weird amounts), and it makes sense because now's the time that the Christmas influx will have grinded out to S+. It's been borderline unplayable, and some of my buds have commented on the same thing independent of me (IE - I was complaining about it to myself, and they came to me complaining about it on their own).

So keep that in mind. If you're grinding, it's going to take time to get to S+, but yeah... anyone can do it.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Keep in mind that grinding to S+, if you're not S+ quality, can take A LOT of time. You keep kind of seeing the quality in S+ drop Every so often about 2-3 months after each Splatoon influx. I've noticed the quality in S+ REALLY drop the last few weeks (to weird amounts), and it makes sense because now's the time that the Christmas influx will have grinded out to S+. It's been borderline unplayable, and some of my buds have commented on the same thing independent of me (IE - I was complaining about it to myself, and they came to me complaining about it on their own).

So keep that in mind. If you're grinding, it's going to take time to get to S+, but yeah... anyone can do it.
This is correct. Anyone can get to S+ in this system, it just cares about who has the drive to do so. The fact that there is slightly more players in S+ than S shows this desire to push through. So the system does kind of work filtering out people who shouldn't be in S+... but only kind of.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
This is correct. Anyone can get to S+ in this system, it just cares about who has the drive to do so. The fact that there is slightly more players in S+ than S shows this desire to push through. So the system does kind of work filtering out people who shouldn't be in S+... but only kind of.
Something that occurs to me now is that S+ is going to become an even worse place to play without the top-top players at least SOMETIMES deranking players who don't belong. Unless they make it harder to maintain S+ rank, the players within S+ are going to multiply.

I wonder what this effect will have on Rank X. Will a bunch of people, who aren't S+ quality, grind their way to X (even if they get kicked out pretty easily)?

I'd probably be an A+/S quality player in S1's ranking system, but I found it very easy to get up to S+ in all modes. If I found it easy, and I don't deserve to be in S+, I feel like players of my quality will be able to grind to X undeservedly... And maybe even some of these B quality players who ground their way to S+ will be able to luck into X. I'm still worried.

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
I wonder what this effect will have on Rank X. Will a bunch of people, who aren't S+ quality, grind their way to X (even if they get kicked out pretty easily)?
I doubt it. They would have to get really lucky to actually rank up ten times before making it into X. Keep in mind that you have to go up to S+9 first. The most people who don't belong into S+ stay at S+0 all the time but never fill the bar. They go past the safe line, crack it, go back, go past the safe line again, crack it etc.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
I doubt it. They would have to get really lucky to actually rank up ten times before making it into X. Keep in mind that you have to go up to S+9 first. The most people who don't belong into S+ stay at S+0 all the time but never fill the bar. They go past the safe line, crack it, go back, go past the safe line again, crack it etc.
Yeah, but keep in mind the overall quality of S+ is going to be lower. You're basing this argument on the current S+ lobbies. Once most of the better players rank up to X, S+ lobbies should be easier to climb if you suck (and harder to climb if you're good because life is fun like that sometimes).

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
Yeah, but keep in mind the overall quality of S+ is going to be lower. You're basing this argument on the current S+ lobbies. Once most of the better players rank up to X, S+ lobbies should be easier to climb if you suck (and harder to climb if you're good because life is fun like that sometimes).
As for the quality of S+ lobbies becoming lower, you are right. However, I hope that the grinding aspect will keep the majority of players who are actually not eligible for X out. Albeit the level of play in S+ may become lower, you'll still have to live through 10 bar fillings on S+ until you become X. For those who are not good enough, it may become discouraging. As it stands today, only 1% of the playerbase even took the grind upon them to become S+10 and up. And those are usually not the bad players...Let's hope it stays so in the future.

(But I see where you're coming from, mate. I'm just as worried as you that this might not solve the problem S+ has been suffering from for so long. But I'm hoping!)

LiX

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-8003-1880-5821
I just have to wonder if rank skipping is still going to be around. Rank X will be much less impressive if you can leap there from S+0 like you can in the game's current state.
Oh dear, no. You are right. Rank skipping really has to be gotten rid off then. Skips from C- up to A+ and so on are okay. But from then on, it should require you to earn your fame.

AC1

Inkster Jr.
If rank skip is still a thing in S+ when rank X is introduced, make ensure no players can skip rank S+8 and rank S+9. That way all players must fill their S+ bar twice at a minimum to reach rank X.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
I would hope everyone who's been skipping in S+ is already up to 10 by now. Watch as the first rotation of X rank is clam blitz, the one mode I don't have up to 10 yet. I'm wondering how the power level split will take effect and how fast. There's definitely gonna be niche classes of X rank but I wonder how fast it'll be evident. I would assume there's just gonna be like 2 maybe 3 little sub-pools of players but we'll see...

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
So our hidden power level will finally be unhidden, this I like a lot as I've always wondered what mine is. During the results screen I'm almost always first from the top so it must be pretty high! Also like individual weapon leaderboards, will be interesting to see how I compare to other Slosher players and what gear set-ups they use (assuming that's viewable). Only concern is longer wait times and even being able to fill a lobby at all during certain times.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Only 1% of the player base is in S+ and a fraction of that is in S+ 10-50, and 90% of those players are in around S+ 150 +/- actually. So X rank will actually effect a very small amount of people.

MotorGamer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
MotorGamer
Honestly I hope they apply the individual weapon rankings to like all the ranks(or maybe just S+) although I don’t know how it would work, because the best people would probably be moving up a rank...

mercenariez

Inkling Cadet
NNID
gamelo8018
So our hidden power level will finally be unhidden, this I like a lot as I've always wondered what mine is. During the results screen I'm almost always first from the top so it must be pretty high! Also like individual weapon leaderboards, will be interesting to see how I compare to other Slosher players and what gear set-ups they use (assuming that's viewable). Only concern is longer wait times and even being able to fill a lobby at all during certain times.
The results screen is very likely carried over from S1, meaning it is organized by W-L ratio for the last X games (I forgot how many), not Power.

_Koriko_

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-3709-6740-5598
I'm just sad they changed the map system. They could have made the original map system so much better. But instead, they decide to make something just as bad.

The 2 hour system, while not amazing, is good enough for me. If the maps that you like on a certain mode aren't in., just come back later.

However, with this system, I'm gonna be forced to play on maps I don't like if I want to improve for a month.

Eh. Looks like my hatred for Moray Towers and Blackbelly Skatepark will have to be put aside so I can achieve Rank X.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
The results screen is very likely carried over from S1, meaning it is organized by W-L ratio for the last X games (I forgot how many), not Power.
Ah true, though a good win-loss ratio and increasing power go hand in hand, so it still means I probably had a high power level. However after thinking about it, we're probably gonna have our power levels reset upon rank X's introduction, so I guess I won't be able to see what mine is currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom