• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ranked bug i found

GiggaPoggers

Full Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
superstar
Switch Friend Code
SW-7556-4937-7869
Something i wanna share with yall is this interesting ranked bug i found. So im c- rank. Logic says i get cued with other people who are c-. Instead, im constantly cued with s+ players (source: gold ranked badge) This has been going on since the game first came out, and i wonder if any of yall have had similar experiences?

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
It's a new season people are ranking down and resetting their ranks, meaning they have previously been in S+, but now actually are in C-, although they definitely aren't at a similar skill level to you and your teammates and opponents.

GiggaPoggers

Full Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
superstar
Switch Friend Code
SW-7556-4937-7869
Yeah i know this is possible, but this has been happening since launch day. Every time ive ever played ranked this has happened (also holy moly those are some wild badges)

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
It's a new season people are ranking down and resetting their ranks, meaning they have previously been in S+, but now actually are in C-, although they definitely aren't at a similar skill level to you and your teammates and opponents.
When I get rank demoted from the new season, I go from S+ to S. When I manually rank reset I go to B or B-. As far as I know, the only way for an S+ player to get down to C is to not play for several seasons in a row and then come back. But if it's been happening constantly then I don't think it would be that. So idk

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
When I get rank demoted from the new season, I go from S+ to S. When I manually rank reset I go to B or B-. As far as I know, the only way for an S+ player to get down to C is to not play for several seasons in a row and then come back. But if it's been happening constantly then I don't think it would be that. So idk
There's also an amazing tactic for smurfing called ✨throwing✨

Norilla

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-1594-5651-4610
While it could very well be people who got ranked down, it has been a thing since the first season where you could get paired with people from other ranks, such as people in B getting matched against S+. Haven't seen that happen in a while, mostly because not as many people are playing Series as they were during the first season (or could of been patched later and not aware of it).

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
If you rank points debt yourself you rank farther down at the end of seasons I believe.
If this is true I suppose it would apply to manual rank resets as well

ok I think I know the answer. If someone grinds the game a lot and is S rank, they will eventually get a lucky streak and land in S+. If they are truly an S rank player then they will lose most of their games, and if they keep grinding the game without rank resetting then they will get a lot of debt (and more importantly, losing most of their games will decrease their internal glicko rating) so when the new season starts or they finally decide to rank reset, the game puts them at a very low rank. This feels more likely to me than smurfing because it's just someone trying to grind the game. Although it's possible there are people intentionally doing it as well.

While it could very well be people who got ranked down, it has been a thing since the first season where you could get paired with people from other ranks, such as people in B getting matched against S+. Haven't seen that happen in a while, mostly because not as many people are playing Series as they were during the first season (or could of been patched later and not aware of it).
I think this is because at the beginning of the game, people's ranks didn't correlate to their actual skill very well. The game took everyone who was B- to X in splatoon 2 and stuck them all in B-. So someone who had gotten back up to S+ in splatoon 3 might be a similar skill level to someone who was still B rank in splatoon 3. So the game would match them together because they were similarly skilled. This isn't an issue now because most players aren't entering the ranked system for the first time anymore.

The reason (according to my theory) that the S rank players I mentioned above might get put all the way down in C rank is that when they repeatedly lose games, splatoon decreases their glicko rating, so when it redetermines what rank they should be it puts them low.

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Honestly I'm pretty sure the matchmaking in anarchy battles doesn't separate people based on rank. I don't think I've encountered C- players as far as I can tell, but matches can be so one sided it's hard to believe everyone's in the same rank. It's pretty wack so yeah that sounds totally plausible

GiggaPoggers

Full Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
superstar
Switch Friend Code
SW-7556-4937-7869
Imo it could just be a feature at this point, seeing its been happening for the games entire lifespan, but it may relate to matchmaking with splatoon 2 date. Iirc it takes your skill from splatoon 2 in count while matchmaking.

Madt123

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
NNID
xerneas
Switch Friend Code
SW-5046-3858-9981
me to, but that's s3 matchmaking for ya

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Pretty sure that was used to set your initial glicko power, but once you've played matches it changes to your skill level so what it was initially doesn't have an impact anymore

QuagSass

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
I think part of it could also just be S+ rank people playing with friends who are a much lower rank.
I'm currently S rank (can't be bothered to grind back up rn) and I have a friend who's C. We dont play ranked together very often, but when we do I can just tell that my opponents are also C rank. The way they play just screams "I just got into ranked!"

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Are you playing in Series or Open? We know Open definitely doesn't separate by rank given that players of different ranks can queue together.

Driftwood

Full Squid
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-3698-7224-9692
While I agree that rank doesn't necessarily have much correlation with skill level, I also kind of suspect that regular battles/anarchy tends to prioritize finding matches quickly over other factors like MMR/Glicko or good weapon comps. That might be why you are seeing this.

GiggaPoggers

Full Squid
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
superstar
Switch Friend Code
SW-7556-4937-7869
It happens a little more often in open, but still happens in series as well, im not playing w friends (i did once maybe thats why?) tho hilariously enough, i do see similar weapons still being paired lol

Masked_Katz

Gnarly Eddy's Boyfriend
Switch Friend Code
SW-3907-3792-4200
dont forget people downrank each season (and can choose to downrank even more once per season) and have to climb back up. Some people intentionally rankdown and take their time getting back to where they were, which is what I do whenever I return from taking a long enough break and feel really rusty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom