Recommended gear for Dual Squelcher and Forge Splattershot Pro?

ArliBarli

Inkling
NNID
wraggeth
I'm fairly new to the Squelcher family and I'm not certain what gear I should be wearing at all :(. I have experience with the Forge, it's one of my personal favourites and I'm very aware that it drains ink like there's no tomorrow. I'm offensive and defensive, depending on the map and situation.

I currently run 6 swim speed up subs and 3 damage up subs and ink resistance, quick respawn and run speed up as my mains for when I use the Dual Squelcher.

Really lost on what to use for the Splattershot Pro family, I know I need some ink recovery but that's about it :X

Any recommendations are helpful as heck so thank you<3

The Claw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mariomario494949
I've been trying out the pros after seeing the cherry pro (so hyped for that), so I'll give you some tips if you're interested :) .

Well, I would recommend some ink saver main to give you more time shooting your opponent and ink saver sub to allow you to throw two point sensors/one splatbonb and still have some ink to shoot right after.

Another thing I would recommend is maybe at least two bomb range up mains to help your zoning game.

ArliBarli

Inkling
NNID
wraggeth
I'm also super hyped for the cherry pro :D really can't wait to test it out.

I'm going to use the Jungle hat, got my recovery there. Would you recommend any damage up subs at all? I'm going with 6 swim speed up subs I think, or 3 run speed and 3 swim speed.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
For the forge, definitely ink saver main and ink recovery. This thing eats up ink like nobody's business. swim speed is practically mandatory since the abilty is so good, and i would also recommend special saver/charge (charge if you're passive with the forge and saver if you're more aggresive). the forge is really bad at building up it's special, and inkzooka needing 220 points make it difficult to even get it once in a match. Now i've used both saver and charge and have been more succesful with the saver because i personally feel the forge is a weapon that should be played aggresively. bomb range up works surprisingly well with point sensor, but not mandatory. Keep in mind that this is mostly advice for the forge and not so much the normal variant.
For dual, i'd honestly recommend run speed. After the strafe speed boost after the 2.2.0 patch, run speed works much better with it. maybe a main or two, or you can go all out and go full run speed. Also swim speed because swim speed works with everything. Ink recovery is good too and ink savery main isn't all that necessary since the dual isn't as ink hungry as the forge. Also ink saver sub could be useful after the most recent patch that's coming up. And finally special charge, because like the forge, it's not all that good at building up specials and echo also needs quite a bit to fully charge. Not to mention echolocator in general is such a good special. Special saver isn't needed since the dual should be played more passively.

ArliBarli

Inkling
NNID
wraggeth
For the forge, definitely ink saver main and ink recovery. This thing eats up ink like nobody's business. swim speed is practically mandatory since the abilty is so good, and i would also recommend special saver/charge (charge if you're passive with the forge and saver if you're more aggresive). the forge is really bad at building up it's special, and inkzooka needing 220 points make it difficult to even get it once in a match. Now i've used both saver and charge and have been more succesful with the saver because i personally feel the forge is a weapon that should be played aggresively. bomb range up works surprisingly well with point sensor, but not mandatory. Keep in mind that this is mostly advice for the forge and not so much the normal variant.
For dual, i'd honestly recommend run speed. After the strafe speed boost after the 2.2.0 patch, run speed works much better with it. maybe a main or two, or you can go all out and go full run speed. Also swim speed because swim speed works with everything. Ink recovery is good too and ink savery main isn't all that necessary since the dual isn't as ink hungry as the forge. Also ink saver sub could be useful after the most recent patch that's coming up. And finally special charge, because like the forge, it's not all that good at building up specials and echo also needs quite a bit to fully charge. Not to mention echolocator in general is such a good special. Special saver isn't needed since the dual should be played more passively.

Thank you so much for going so in-depth with your reply, it's already helped a ton as I just went back up to A- 95 using your recommendation :D

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Thank you so much for going so in-depth with your reply, it's already helped a ton as I just went back up to A- 95 using your recommendation :D
No prob. The dual squelchers and forge are the two weapons i have the most experience with and have been experementing with a lot of different sets and playstyles.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
I usually use a Soccer Headband with Tenacity and Ink Recovery Up, a Layered Vector LS with Special Saver and Special Charge Up, and Blue Sea Slugs with Special Charge Up and Ink Recovery Up. I like the recovery for more ink, since I use it up quickly most of the time, and I use all the Special Subs so that my team has good awareness of the enemy team. I would probably replace the Layered Vector with a pure thing with both Special Charge Up or a Special Duration Up with a Special Charge Up shirt if I got one, but I don't have one, and also, the Layered Vector LS looks really good. You could also replace the Ink Recovery with Ink saver Main

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
For the Dual Squelcher I run:
Fake Contacts :head_eye007::ability_specialcharge:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
Red Vector Tee :clothes_tes013: :ability_inksavermain:|:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
Red Hi-Tops :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
It is really great at pressuring because it has good range and a fast fire rate, so I like to stand and shoot a lot with this weapon. Hence, a lot of ink efficiency abilities. The special is awesome and refills the tank, so lots of special charge. You could also use the soccer headband here for a similar effect. Although strafing is important, I prefer swim speed on most of my builds for swim mobility.

For the Spro, as others have said, ink saver main is really important. I usually run:
Jungle Hat :head_hat001: :ability_inksavermain:|:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksaversub:
White Shirt :clothes_shirt003::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
Red Hi-Tops :shoes_shi005::ability_inkresistance:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
It lets me keep firing for a long time, especially after a splat bomb or point sensor. It also helps to keep ink up after minimal time in the ink. Red Hi-Tops again because swim speed is universally helpful. I can hardly play without ink resistance (I know, personal problem), so feel free to experiment with other abilities there if you want. Some people run damage up on everything to increase the damage you can do at extreme range (right outside of our effective range), so, something to think about.

chaz aria

Inkling
NNID
Chazbc24
s/s+ forge pro user here: don't waste slots on ink saver, instead focus on ink recovery. Ink saver is a crutch for people who can't manage their ink properly and it just eats up perk slots you could be using for more valuable buffs. it always urks me that whenever people bring up the pro, inksaver is inevitably touted as being "a must". If you know your weapon well enough you should never be in a situation where you run out of ink. Besides that, swim speed is really essential because run speed barely effects the pro at all. Damage up is great to increase your range and damage output. As for my build, i focus on defense up (i have 3 mains) i find that it helps counter many of the pro's nemeses (and coincidentally the most OU guns in the game), the .96, and blasters. If your playing the gun right, the majority of the damage you will take is gonna be indirect and splash damage. Mitigate that damage and survive with defense up. Use point sensors often they help you hit those 3 directs and even if you trade, they retreat or you die your team will be aware of the threat. Your role, more often than not, is gonna be the guy who takes care of the chargers this is where swim speed and defense really help close the gap and scare them into suppression. If you arent the guy consistently with the most kills on your team then you ain't a pro and you should use another gun. When i get sick of this weapon or i am on a loosing streak i try to main something completely different, then i usually come crawling back to the pro, taking what I learned from the experience, and growing in playstyle because of it.

you can tell i love this weapon, huh?

edit: FYI. ink recovery is the only ability where 3 subs > 1 main

my gear is the cycle hat, retro sweat, and squid stitch.

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
edit: FYI. ink recovery is the only ability where 3 subs > 1 main
This is actually incorrect:
How to Calculate Ability Effects
3 subs = 20 frames saved
1 main = 22 frames saved
I believe that misconception comes from an old Squid Science youtube video which had some bad data.

Also, I tend to play TW almost exclusively, and in TW you want ink saver main. No, you aren't the best inker, but that doesn't mean you have nothing to contribute in TW. I can see not needing it in ranked though, especially if you stack some ink recovery. You have a different sort of role and objective in ranked.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Damage up is great to increase your range and damage output.
Damage up is pretty useless on the forge imo. The forge does enough damage that no matter how much defense up is stacked against it, it will always three shot. Even when i shot opponents over walls with arced shots it three hits. And how exactly does damage up increase range? Unless you're stacking damage up to max damage to 49.9, i don't see a reason to use it. And i'll admit, ink saver main isn't mandatory, but useful for first time pro users. And the reason i use it is because of times where i ran out of ink in the middle of a firefight. Sure i should've paid better attention to my ink consumption, but most of my focus was on splatting my enemy. Plus the extra ink effenciency helps with covering the splatzone and turf in general.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Damage up is pretty useless on the forge imo. The forge does enough damage that no matter how much defense up is stacked against it, it will always three shot. Even when i shot opponents over walls with arced shots it three hits. And how exactly does damage up increase range? Unless you're stacking damage up to max damage to 49.9, i don't see a reason to use it. And i'll admit, ink saver main isn't mandatory, but useful for first time pro users. And the reason i use it is because of times where i ran out of ink in the middle of a firefight. Sure i should've paid better attention to my ink consumption, but most of my focus was on splatting my enemy. Plus the extra ink effenciency helps with covering the splatzone and turf in general.
Damage ups help keep damage consistent at extreme ranges. Like, if you go to the practice range and go just out of range of a balloon and jump and fire you can still hit them. However, the damage will be slightly lower. Damage ups help keep the damage on these hits a bit higher. Kinda limited, but not completely useless.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Damage up on forge is great imo. If a person grazes ink or has taken residual damage your more likely to kill in 2 hits instead of 3.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Damage ups help keep damage consistent at extreme ranges. Like, if you go to the practice range and go just out of range of a balloon and jump and fire you can still hit them. However, the damage will be slightly lower. Damage ups help keep the damage on these hits a bit higher. Kinda limited, but not completely useless.
It also works while lobbing shots over walls or down edges. It works very well on maps like Moray Towers and (to an extent) on Walleye Warehouse when the enemy start hugging the walls near your base

chaz aria

Inkling
NNID
Chazbc24
This is actually incorrect:
How to Calculate Ability Effects
3 subs = 20 frames saved
1 main = 22 frames saved
I believe that misconception comes from an old Squid Science youtube video which had some bad data.

Also, I tend to play TW almost exclusively, and in TW you want ink save

tw main. No, you aren't the best inker, but that doesn't mean you have nothing to contribute in TW. I can see not needing it in ranked though, especially if you stack some ink recovery. You have a different sort of role and objective in ranked.

Thank you for this information!

And while i disagree that damage up is useless on the forge, i will say that it wasnt until i stopped focusing on damage up that i got out of A+.

Last edited:

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Thank you for this information!

And while i disagree that damage up is useless on the forge, i will say that it wasnt until i stopped focusing on damage up that i got out of A+.
Yeah, I don't run any damage up on the forge usually, but to be completely honest my forge build is a bit nebulous right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom