Recycled brella balancing idea

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
In chara's second channel video he brings up some weaknesses of the new brella and suggestions for buffing it. One buff he didn't mention and that I think could be good is removing the "stun" thing from when the shield is destroyed. I wasn't aware of this mechanic previously, but I think removing it on the recycled brella could add to the identity of the weapon, and it would go along with what the devs seem to want for it (with the fast shield regen time and all).

This feels like what s-blast was for range blaster, but for splat brella. The main weapon got nerfed in ways that took away from how it was being played before (notably, jump rng on range and damage on brella) and they added in another weapon to replace that playstyle, but with more pronounced strengths and weaknesses.

S1 range had good long range aoe and threatening long range directs. In S3, range has one and s-blast has the other. If they are going for a similar thing with recycled brella, then since S3 brella has the stalling potential of S2 brella but not the same damage / threat of killing, it makes sense that they'd try to go for this aspect with the recycled brella, and it looks like they have.

As Chara mentioned, the shield can't be buffed too much without risking overlapping with the other brellas, but I don't think the shots should be buffed either, because they're already really strong. The weapon just has too harsh of weaknesses. One that stood out to me was that because the shield only has 100 hp, it's very easy to break and get stunned. I think removing the stun would make it easier to play around having a low-health shield while keeping the low health as a weakness. This doesn't increase its stalling potential that much, since it's not getting any extra health, but it means that people will have to respect the brella more because if its shield is broken it can still threaten a kill.

Like I said, I didn't know of the stun thing before the video, so I'm not sure if completely removing it would be broken, but I think it would be a good way to buff the shield without just giving it more health.

Edit: I added like three more paragraphs because I realized I had more to say. So consider the original a rough draft.

Last edited:

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
THANK YOU! My thoughts exactly, I've been playing the weapon since it came out and I don't think the main needs any drastic buffs for now, but I think removing the shield stun would add to its identity: the shield being meant to tank one shot from buckets/ splatanas/ blasters/ chargers etc. in fights.
When you get stunned it feels really bad, especially against sloshers, the shield is meant to buy you enough time to fire one more shot, but if you get stunned the opponent essentially gets a free kill on you. And considering it launches in half a second, you're kind of meant to launch it in fights, getting punished because it didn't launch fast enough feels counter intuitive.

This is the change I want the most, fingers crossed!

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
And yes I agree with what you added, I think the shots are quite good as is, and buffing the shield hp would overlap with the other brellas and make it a bit less fun to fight (which I think is what they were going for, I don't think there's a single weapon in the game that can't break the shield by itself), so they should lean into the shield doing some light stalling for you, but being much faster and regenerating quickly. Removing the stun would be quite nice, I don't think it makes sense on it compared to the actual stalling brellas

Stephano2005

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-6826-6598-8864
I'm just hearing about brella stun myself. But I'm guessing it's referring to a short time before firing the main again once the canopy breaks? If that's the case, does it apply when the canopy breaks when it's launched? Otherwise idk if I would consider it that much of a big deal. With my time playing Cycle I've viewed it as wanting to launch the canopy as much as it can (better canopy HP, better paint) and either going in with it or somewhat playing fights safely and poking/locating with angle shooter. So outside of situations where it's having to fight with its canopy attached I don't see it mattering that much. I have some thoughts on Cycle balance myself but I don't want to hijack the primary point of discussion of the thread so I leave my thoughts at that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom