Regarding the Square's Callie Movement

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
If people can make stupid, furries and lgbt posts, then people can show love for my girl, Callie!

HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! HYPE!

In all seriousness though, it would be nice to see her in the square somewhere to show she's still around after the story mode.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Eh, it's still a bunch of die-hards pushing their passions down people's throats. At least this time it's less obnoxious than the last.

I blame it on that one Daily Callie dude. One of his plaza drawings was the first with this specific demand, and a whole slew of imitators cropped up afterwards. (Hell, I think said post actually had something along the lines of "Spread the word!" on it, but that could be a misattribution.)

As for Callie herself, I would prefer if she played a role in any potential Hero Mode DLC, but that's about it.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Eh, it's still a bunch of die-hards pushing their passions down people's throats. At least this time it's less obnoxious than the last.

I blame it on that one Daily Callie dude. One of his plaza drawings was the first with this specific demand, and a whole slew of imitators cropped up afterwards. (Hell, I think said post actually had something along the lines of "Spread the word!" on it, but that could be a misattribution.)

As for Callie herself, I would prefer if she played a role in any potential Hero Mode DLC, but that's about it.
Why "blame" anything on anyone?
They're not doing anything negative at all, and I happen to like Trevor's drawings a lot.
I mean, you're upset about THIS and not the other things? This one is probably the most low key out of all of them. Hell, it's probably what brought actual Splatoon related art back to the squares.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I was really disappointed by the lore of Splatoon 2 myself and how it handled Callie or the Squid Sister's presence in general, but mostly Callie.
For starters, we learned next to nothing about Pearl and Marina. I was sincerely hoping for them to be somehow involved but other than them broadcasting the News at the beginning and the end (and Pearl being ever so caring) and two scrolls we learned nothing about them. Why is Marina an idol anyway? What's the stance on Octolings in Inkopolis? After all, they were at war and there's no other Octoling to be found there! This seems just so misplaced and only there for kicks (because the fanbase demanded Octolings, so let's just tease the fans giving them what they want as an idol but not as a playable character-type) and as a fan of the first story it was just a let-down.

The plot in Splatoon 2 was just a watered-down and rehashed version of the first. Don't get me wrong, I loved Marie's role, having turned into a depressed Enka-singer (*theory, not official statement) who not only is worried sick about her cousin, but also really not feeling well in general, which shows in multiple ways during her dialogues. That was really well-made and no complaints. But then we get to the boss-fight and that's where the disappointment sets in. Callie "just" being brainwashed. No fighting after all the "they've grown apart" teases in the official blogs? No nothing? Just Callie having been brainwashed... the new version of Calamary Inkantation was great, no doubt, also the transition from Evil Callie to Old Callie, again great camera and all, but...
The final outcome just seems so lackluster to me. There was no real final scene, it's just splish splash Zapfish back, hooray.
So.... I can understand why fans want Callie back. At least make her more noticable than some NPCs who don't even talk. Heck, even Spike has more presence than her. If the Zapfish can return to the background after the story, why can't Callie? It's not like it was that much of a deal adding her back to the square like some suggested. But I digress.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
I was really disappointed by the lore of Splatoon 2 myself and how it handled Callie or the Squid Sister's presence in general, but mostly Callie.
For starters, we learned next to nothing about Pearl and Marina. I was sincerely hoping for them to be somehow involved but other than them broadcasting the News at the beginning and the end (and Pearl being ever so caring) and two scrolls we learned nothing about them. Why is Marina an idol anyway? What's the stance on Octolings in Inkopolis? After all, they were at war and there's no other Octoling to be found there! This seems just so misplaced and only there for kicks (because the fanbase demanded Octolings, so let's just tease the fans giving them what they want as an idol but not as a playable character-type) and as a fan of the first story it was just a let-down.

The plot in Splatoon 2 was just a watered-down and rehashed version of the first. Don't get me wrong, I loved Marie's role, having turned into a depressed Enka-singer (*theory, not official statement) who not only is worried sick about her cousin, but also really not feeling well in general, which shows in multiple ways during her dialogues. That was really well-made and no complaints. But then we get to the boss-fight and that's where the disappointment sets in. Callie "just" being brainwashed. No fighting after all the "they've grown apart" teases in the official blogs? No nothing? Just Callie having been brainwashed... the new version of Calamary Inkantation was great, no doubt, also the transition from Evil Callie to Old Callie, again great camera and all, but...
The final outcome just seems so lackluster to me. There was no real final scene, it's just splish splash Zapfish back, hooray.
So.... I can understand why fans want Callie back. At least make her more noticable than some NPCs who don't even talk. Heck, even Spike has more presence than her. If the Zapfish can return to the background after the story, why can't Callie? It's not like it was that much of a deal adding her back to the square like some suggested. But I digress.
Spyke is apparently still in the business too. Murch mentions that he gives the Super Sea Snails to Spyke, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was working alongside Annie for their Splatnet bootlegging operation.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Spyke is apparently still in the business too. Murch mentions that he gives the Super Sea Snails to Spyke, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was working alongside Annie for their Splatnet bootlegging operation.
Yeah, he actually says something along the lines of "I even got Spyke (or Annie) to help out but we still couldn't find EXACTLY what you ordered, but it's pretty close." So, once again proving that even old NPCs who don't interact with you directly have more presence than Callie. And it's really sad, so sad.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
Yeah, he actually says something along the lines of "I even got Spyke (or Annie) to help out but we still couldn't find EXACTLY what you ordered, but it's pretty close." So, once again proving that even old NPCs who don't interact with you directly have more presence than Callie. And it's really sad, so sad.
*nods solemnly*
Sometimes, the originals just need to stay...

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Right, this is coming days later than it should've, and I doubt y'all care at this point, but I'm compelled:

Why "blame" anything on anyone?
They're not doing anything negative at all, and I happen to like Trevor's drawings a lot.
I mean, you're upset about THIS and not the other things? This one is probably the most low key out of all of them.
When I said "I blame it" on Trevor, I only meant in the sense that the specific artwork he posted that day was what spurred this wave of Callie posts. I didn't intend to imply any ill will toward the guy, nor did I wish to imply that the Callie movement was a bad thing*. On the contrary, I also am a fan of his stuff, and truthfully it's nice to see these people doing what they can to get Nintendo's attention.

And I wouldn't quite say I'm really all that bothered about the movement. I personally don't have any strong feelings about any of the movements so far*. The most you'll get from me is a kind of surprise that they sprung up and lasted for as long as they have, mostly because I don't recall anything quite like them happening back in the Splatoon 1 days.

*I say these fully aware that I labeled the prior two "obnoxious" just a few days ago. If you'd like me to elaborate, I will.

Wow, what an overreaction. Its a handful guys drawing their favorite character. Thats it, its not even a legit movement or something.
This, however, I will concede. That definitely could've been worded better. Chalk it up to a poorly-timed bout of blunt cynicism.

SqidVishus

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0563-5067-5130
It is my hope that after a year or so, or after "enough" people finish the single player mode; that Callie reunites with Marie and there is a big concert.
And I hope it is hawt Callie with the whale tail and octopus tat.

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
Right, this is coming days later than it should've, and I doubt y'all care at this point, but I'm compelled:

When I said "I blame it" on Trevor, I only meant in the sense that the specific artwork he posted that day was what spurred this wave of Callie posts. I didn't intend to imply any ill will toward the guy, nor did I wish to imply that the Callie movement was a bad thing*. On the contrary, I also am a fan of his stuff, and truthfully it's nice to see these people doing what they can to get Nintendo's attention.

And I wouldn't quite say I'm really all that bothered about the movement. I personally don't have any strong feelings about any of the movements so far*. The most you'll get from me is a kind of surprise that they sprung up and lasted for as long as they have, mostly because I don't recall anything quite like them happening back in the Splatoon 1 days.

*I say these fully aware that I labeled the prior two "obnoxious" just a few days ago. If you'd like me to elaborate, I will.

This, however, I will concede. That definitely could've been worded better. Chalk it up to a poorly-timed bout of blunt cynicism.
Well its not that i don't understand where you coming from. But you know my threshold is quite high and that's merely water drops in a barrel.

sunaku

Hello again!
Community Ambassador
NNID
yuuisim
Switch Friend Code
SW-3702-6418-1999
My hope is that there is some DLC that either expands the story or gives Callie and Marie a more proper role. But that could be asking too much.

JediRalts

Inkling
NNID
JediRalts
Okay, so as somebody who is a supporter of the movement, and somebody who knows who started it (yes, it is Trevor), I can shed some light for y'all. Yes, we're 100% serious about this. A question I see a lot is "what do you guys want?" and it's pretty simple really. All we really want is for Callie to get the same treatment as DJ Octaviio and the Great Zapfish: to show up after the campaign and stand with Marie in Octo Canyon and in the square. That's really it. Yes, seeing her get her own storyline in a future update would be great, but really, we just want to see her again, and NOT just seeing her brainwashed again in the final boss fight.

Personally, as someone who suffers from depression and uses video games & their characters as a method of coping, seeing Callie, who's personality represents everything I want to do to better myself, get dragged through the mud and have no visible resolution at the end of the story hurts. It hurts to know that all those who started with Splatoon 2 won't get to know her as well as they do Marie. It hurts to know that the only way to see her now is to see her evil. It hurts to not be able to listen to Bomb Rush Blush without being reminded of her being evil. It even hurts to see Marie dancing alone during Splatfest. I saved Callie for crying out loud, why can't she be there with her cousin, happily keeping her company as they watch the next generation of Inkopolis idols shine?

What's our endgame? It's simple really: Nintendo has Callie's character model and animations (the ones they use for the amiibo) as well as voice clips for her, since they're all just gibberish anyways, so we want them to put her next to Marie for those of us who have beaten the story. As a student of animation and game design, I can assure you that plopping a model you already have into a scene and writing up some dialogue for it doesn't take much effort. We don't expect the world: we don't want a new storyline or for her and Marie to take over the news/splatfests (although if that were an option to toggle, hey, no complaints here), we just want something simple as a way for Nintendo to show that they didn't forget about us Callie fans simply because she lost Splatfest.

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
Squid Sister Stories should have never been written. They put more effort into those than the game's story itself. It's clear that whoever wrote them wasn't even directly involved with that part of the game itself.

All that hype/buildup, just for that? It makes us feel tricked and lied to. Also made the whole "Save Callie" mission moot and pointless.

Better yet, why did Octavio even take and use Callie? She didn't even contribute anything to that battle herself, not even those bombs. She was glorified background scenery here.

Not to mention, the story this time was still exactly the same as the first, just with an extra layer of Squid Sisters thrown onto it for ultimately no reason. You can take them both out of it and it would still not make any difference whatsoever.

Ron'NeilV3

Full Squid
NNID
Ronneil_koopa
Switch Friend Code
SW-3809-0916-6288
All I want them to do for me to be satisfied is put her somewhere in the Story mode lobby after you beat it. That’s the only reason I beat the story mode lol.

I was so unsatisfied after I beat the boss and she was nowhere to be found. all I wanted was for her to be standing next to her cousin or sitting on that random couch or something.

※Zachary

Semi-Pro Squid
I really want Callie and Marie back in the game. I wish they could replace Pearl and Marina. I just really like the "Freshness" Callie and Marie have. I mean we only see Callie in Final Boss Stage.

#BRING BACK CALLIE

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
What's more, both the Squid Sisters amiibo don't even get to take photos in other areas (per the major update).

Bobsaget

Inkling
Sorry about the length and untidiness of this post. I've tried to cover many aspects and give my full opinion on this topic as it matters to me quite a bit. To understand this topic, you should already have played through the story, so I will not be marking spoilers.

I strongly sympathize with people who have been hurting by the unfair treatment of their favorite squid. It's to be expected for some rival fans to twist the knife, but when the developers themselves pile on (inadvertently or not), it's a helpless and despairing feeling. I feel like that is the root cause of the movement and why it has effected such a strong, seemingly indignant reaction that may puzzle others.

Consider that Callie fans have had to deal with losing THE splatfest, which in my opinion only ultimately served to foster bitterness and resentment between Callie and Marie fans instead of resulting in anything positive, but also that there's no sign of ever being able to "redeem" that loss. It's not like a sports team losing a big game and being able to find solace in "there's always next season." It's something that will always sting to those that care. Then seemingly right after that, the events of Splatoon 2 happened as an additional punch to the gut. The old cheerful, ditsy Callie that her fans grew to love was gone. It can be argued that Callie was gone altogether since she literally wasn't herself aside from a few moments when she was trying to warn Marie to stay away. She had been turned into a villain and a robotic shadow of her former self.

I also think they went too far with the outfit, especially with the tattoo. Though it's clearly only meant for stylistic purposes; it also aids in the mudslinging against her and it's hurtful every time I see it because Callie doesn't deserve that sort of treatment or connotations towards her at all.

I take issue with writing her to insist on keeping the glasses. Some people take that to mean that she must enjoy being brainwashed even though the glasses certainly would have no hypnotizing effect after Octavio is recaptured and the Zapfish returned; they would only function as a cosmetic item, which is what she explicitly states they're for. The thing is, that sequence only happens after you replay the boss fight and Callie is still there, still brainwashed, so it conflicts with the idea that the glasses are now only a cosmetic item even though the whole thing is clearly meant as a comedy bit and to offer some sort of explanation as to why you can just go and replay the boss fight and that's all at the expense of following consistent logic. Octavio must re-escape from the snow globe every time as well only to be put back again, which makes just as little sense, but that doesn't stop people from taking the retainment of the hypnoshades at face value. It's just one more little thing on top of it all. It can't help but cross my mind that the writers are intentionally mocking and making a comedic pinata out of Callie at this point. Callie has always been the butt of jokes due to her naive nature, but those jokes were innocent enough and importantly they were always delivered by Marie. This is different and the whole thing has taken on unsavory tones that I don't care for at all.

One thing I really am curious about is what fans in Japan (who are perhaps more connected to the developers) think about all this and if they have a similar subset of the community that's unhappy with how Callie was treated and depicted in this game. I've heard before that Callie is a somewhat different character in the original Japanese localization and perhaps it isn't as jarring to them, so perhaps the developers wouldn't see any immediate problem with it. Just speculating there, but it may be a very important point and help to explain their apparent obliviousness if true.

As others have pointed out already, they made a prologue story to the game that involved Callie and Marie growing apart after the final splatfest and briefly reuniting before Callie was abducted at the beginning of Splatoon 2. This was not paid off in the events of the game. It was not paid off in the ending or second ending either. Does it bother Callie fans that she was abducted and brainwashed (by a giant evil octopus of all things) only to be ultimately barely in the game at all? Of course, but at the end of the day all they're asking for is some closure on this uncomfortable and distressing affair and they can't even get that. All it would take is for Callie and Marie to visibly reunite and just hang out somewhere in the Square, so as to say that everything is back to normal. If the developers really wanted to apply themselves they could even have them rotate in for Pearl and Marina during splatfests (if you've beaten the single player).

As an aside, I was always inclined towards Callie, but I was never a die-hard supporter until after she lost the splatfest and after I had seen her unfairly drug through the mud and continue to be drug through the mud by so many and after I had seen what she was forced to become in Splatoon 2. I think it to be tragic considering Callie's core character as being innocent, cheerful and naive for something as unfortunate as this to happen to her. I feel the same kind of sympathy that I'd have for a child that has something bad happen to them and not only did that bad thing happen to an innocent, but because of that innocence, they can't even understand why this thing has happened to them. I realize that sounds like an extreme comparison, but note that I said the same kind of sympathy, not the same degree.

I don't hold out any hope for this movement to affect any change in the game itself even though the changes required would be slight. The way I see it, if people want to draw pictures of Callie and show their support for her even in the face of such neglect and indifference by the developers themselves and use it as a sort of coping mechanism during the long wait for Splatoon 3 (which let's be honest is most likely the soonest point we can realistically expect a resolution) then I fully support it and appreciate their efforts. Thank you for hearing me out. Long live Callie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom