Regarding the Square's Callie Movement

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Now don't get me wrong, the square has seen some very, very bizarre trends over the past month. But this "Bring Back Callie" movement is in my personal opinion the oddest one so far. It just seems odd for multiple reasons. One, she isn't completely absent from the game, she's part of the single player. And two, if she was to "come back", what would she even do? Pearl and Marina are this game's idols and that isn't going to change. I just wanted to hear some input on this because I genuinely do not see the purpose or end goal of it.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Really? I would genuinely like to hear how this is more odd/surprising than the furry and LGBT trends. Anyway, that aside it's undeniable that Callie got shafted in this game. By "part of the single player" you mean that she gets mentioned in a few lines and only actually appears in one stage, 5-10 minutes of total gameplay. Marie doesn't do much either, but she at least makes an appearance in the square. Hell, Spyke is more noticable now and he's just a background NPC now!

Fans got supremely attached to Callie and Marie and Nintendo fueled those fires, particularly in Japan with all the concerts and merchandise and such. Finding that they've not only been replaced but given bit roles is naturally going to irk some people. Will this movement accomplish anything? Probably not, a lot of the game's set in stone by this point, but fans are still going to express their ire no matter what when a fan favorite is seemingly mistreated.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I know a way to fix this!

*Brings out the Callie Amiibo and loads her up into the square*

Done.

...In all seriousness though, I figured it was a bit of a half joke. Shes still alive and well obviously. What more would you want?

Wosie

Inkling Cadet
NNID
purpleWosie
Switch Friend Code
SW-7996-5480-4886
I never played the original Splatoon more than twice, so I don't know Callie and Marie very well (besides from Splatoon 2's one player mode), but I know that they are both very popular--so I'm much more surprised Nintendo decided to give them such obscure parts in the sequel, to be honest!
I don't have a clue about the current plaza trends anymore, I decided to turn off the visibility of player posts. x*)

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Really? I would genuinely like to hear how this is more odd/surprising than the furry and LGBT trends.
My main source of confusion is because this doesn't feel like it has much of an end goal or purpose, and somehow it feels a lot more demanding with how everyone's wording it, which isn't exactly helping my reaction.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
My main source of confusion is because this doesn't feel like it has much of an end goal or purpose, and somehow it feels a lot more demanding with how everyone's wording it, which isn't exactly helping my reaction.
Fair enough. You're right, there is no end goal here, people just REALLY like Callie. REALLY like Callie :P

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Callie definitely got the short end of the stick regarding her appearance in Splatoon 2, but to be honest both Squid sisters don't seem to have much of a role in the game aside from the single player, where Marie gets more attention. Contrasting this to Splatoon 1's promotional stuff the fan base's love of the Squid Sisters, I'm surprised they seem to be given very little roles to play when you look at the game in a broad sense. It would have been nice to see Callie in Octo Canyon after you beat the SP where she will be hanging out with Marie. Think of all the banter they could have as you talk to both of them!

My slight hope is that we will get some cool story additions in future updates. For example if Octolings become playable, maybe there will be some story as to why that happens, and maybe Callie will get more attention there. It's a long shot, but I'll dream.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
I'm all for it.

The problem is that Callie, or the Squid Sisters in general really aren't given enough credit at all in the second game. If you didn't play the first game, you really would be like Agent 4 in the sense that you don't even know who they are, and that really hurts me personally because them and their music brought a lot of joy to the experiences I had in Splatoon. You saved Callie... but that's it. There's really no feeling of accomplishment other than "you beat the campaign, booyah". I would've at least liked the option for them to do the news every now and then, or some kind of RNG where their splatfest songs would play during splatfests too, or they would randomly be performing at the splatfests too... 2 years worth of content updates doesn't just have to be weapons and maps and hopefully Octoling Armor.

Bringing back old weapons? Meh. Bringing back the Squid Sisters? Fresh.

It's just not ok that they've dusted one of (if not the) best characters in the franchise under the rug and permenately replaced them with Mrs. Fanservice and Stephanie.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
Really? I would genuinely like to hear how this is more odd/surprising than the furry and LGBT trends. Anyway, that aside it's undeniable that Callie got shafted in this game. By "part of the single player" you mean that she gets mentioned in a few lines and only actually appears in one stage, 5-10 minutes of total gameplay. Marie doesn't do much either, but she at least makes an appearance in the square. Hell, Spyke is more noticable now and he's just a background NPC now!

Fans got supremely attached to Callie and Marie and Nintendo fueled those fires, particularly in Japan with all the concerts and merchandise and such. Finding that they've not only been replaced but given bit roles is naturally going to irk some people. Will this movement accomplish anything? Probably not, a lot of the game's set in stone by this point, but fans are still going to express their ire no matter what when a fan favorite is seemingly mistreated.
Yea, at least this trend is actually on topic with Splatoon 2 compared to the previous Miiverse trends so far (and I like both of the Squid Sisters so I don't mind all of the Callie art filling up the lobby :p).

Anyway, I do agree with you on how many really liked Callie and did express their opinions/disappointment about she didn't have much limelight in this game before this trend started. I do agree with @Hero of Lime on how Nintendo could add Callie as a background NPC when you beat the game in Octo Canyon (much like what they did with DJ Octavio with him in a snow globe again) or even as a "hidden" NPC that shows up in the plaza. There's plenty of little Easter eggs they could add in to hype the fans in some way, but for now we just have to wait and see since demanding via miiverse posts isn't really going to do much.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
It's really weird how uppity people get over fictional characters sometimes.. I don't really care either way.

I think the people who are actually upset over Nintendo for not putting a huge role for Callie (when Marie didn't get one either) and especially like the person that went out of their way to write a letter to Nintendo about it is kind of ridiculous, coming from someone who always liked Callie way more than Marie.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Thus far none of the trends have bothered me. In fact, lurking around to see the whinging about each trend amuses me. Though the "I wish __ was real" got boring really fast because I felt no effort or creative thought from many of the posters.

Anyway, I also feel disappointed, both as a fan and someone who consumed the hype Nintendo fed us with the trailers, amiibos, and Squid Sisters Sidestory. Is there an end goal in mind? Probably not. Will we get some sort of DLC to satiate us? Probably not. But we're allowed to express our displeasure all the same.

Agent Z

Inkling Commander
It's really weird how uppity people get over fictional characters sometimes.. I don't really care either way.

I think the people who are actually upset over Nintendo for not putting a huge role for Callie (when Marie didn't get one either) and especially like the person that went out of their way to write a letter to Nintendo about it is kind of ridiculous, coming from someone who always liked Callie way more than Marie.
For people like me, a fictional world is the only escape from the hell that I've made reality into by tearing myself apart inside. That being said, characters mean a great deal to me.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Anyway, I also feel disappointed, both as a fan and someone who consumed the hype Nintendo fed us with the trailers, amiibos, and Squid Sisters Sidestory. Is there an end goal in mind? Probably not. Will we get some sort of DLC to satiate us? Probably not. But we're allowed to express our displeasure all the same.
Yeah, I feel like the story mode was over hyped by everyone going in. The Squid Sister stories seemed to suggest something big going on between Callie and Marie. The fan side did not help quell the amount of hype that was boiling before release too. Turns out Callie was just given some cool shade that hypnotized her. No turmoil about losing the last Splatfest or drama around her doing her own things without Marie.

The story aspect to Splatoon 2 was definitely a let down, especially the end. No cut scene featuring Callie and Marie after she returned, it just went straight to Pearl and Marina going "whoa the Zapfish is back!" and the credits rolled. Obviously Splatoon at its core is a multiplayer game, but they really hyped up the narrative of 2's SP a little much.

It doesn't help that there were several really lame sunken scrolls, like the shop based ones. Gee, it was helpful to know Sheldon moved his shop to Inkopolis Square, even though we could clearly see it from the start! And we only got one scroll for Pearl and Marina each, who weren't given any more story or context outside of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom