• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Respectable Weapons

Soap

Inkling
Lately, I've been noticing that almost everyone online is using unskillful weapons, like the tentatek splattershot, the Splattershot Jr. and other scrubby weapons. I call these weapons scrubby, because they don't require skill and carry you to victory without you practically lifting a finger. These weapons are fine to use, if you're new to the game, but i think that by level 15 you should consider using better respected and skill required weapons.

Post your opinions below, I hope that this has you consider what to use next time you enter a battle...

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Hrm.

The point of the game is to win. Use whatever weapons help you win.

Every weapon requires skill. A skilled tentatek user will destroy non-skilled users of any weapon. Same with a jr. Both weapons might have low skill floors, but that doesn't mean they have low skill ceilings.

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
Use whatever you have fun with, there's no shame in using a weapon or weapon-type that's easy to use.

Drip Bam Boozle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
sludgetoon
I wouldn't call the the splattershot jr or the splattershot dishonorable.

:burstbomb:
The game is fairly balanced atm and I definitely would have called out some weapons in the past.
The most dishonorable tatics currently involve burst bombs. You know when that bad sniper player throws 3 at his feet in hopes to kill you? Call it a versatile tatic but it is still barbaric. It's not interesting or difficult to pull off and whenever I have the chance to do it the only thought that goes through my head is ok I have to abuse this.

A lot of the power of this weapon is how disruptive it is to movement but it leads to cheesy kills like 1 burst bomb kills on mahi. SPLATOON make a gravity hammer equivalent.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I wouldn't call the the splattershot jr or the splattershot dishonorable.

:burstbomb:
The game is fairly balanced atm and I definitely would have called out some weapons in the past.
The most dishonorable tatics currently involve burst bombs. You know when that bad sniper player throws 3 at his feet in hopes to kill you? Call it a versatile tatic but it is still barbaric. It's not interesting or difficult to pull off and whenever I have the chance to do it the only thought that goes through my head is ok I have to abuse this.

A lot of the power of this weapon is how disruptive it is to movement but it leads to cheesy kills like 1 burst bomb kills on mahi. SPLATOON make a gravity hammer equivalent.
The eliter is an incredibly hard gun to master and has almost no chance to snipe someone at close range like a splatterscope. Burst bombs are the only way for them to defend themselves. This isn't barbaric or abusive, it is how the gun is supposed to be played.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Gonna sort of piggy back off the above comment, not sure how using the only CQC tool in your arsenal is a bad thing. Not saying that just because I'm an ELiter main, that's just in general. What am I supposed to do? Lay down and go belly up any time someone gets close to me?

Pareto

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PlusTB
When I first climbed into S+, I was a Krak-on Roller and I got heat for being a "cheap Kraken spammer". So then I switched to a Luna Blaster (vanilla since Neo wasn't released at the time) and sure enough, I got heat for being a "cheap TC weapon for people who don't have skill to aim" even though I used it in all game modes. Then I swapped to an E-Liter and was called a "Burst Bomb main" and a "camper" (aren't snipers supposed to be on perches?). Moving to the custom variant just made the "Burst Bomb main" into a "cheap Kraken spammer" again. Then I swapped to a Kelp Splatterscope and fought upfront, only to later be accused of only getting my splats because I stacked Damage Ups.

There are always going to be people who blame the opponent's weapon but that mentality isn't really doing anyone any favors. At this stage of the game, complaining about "unskilled weapons" feels like a poor excuse for not learning how to combat said "unskilled weapons." I'm not saying it's easy to counter every single weapon in the game with your own particular weapon but pawning off your losses because "the opponent was using a cheap weapon" is a mindset that really just limits your own improvement.

Silentium

Senior Squid
Lately, I've been noticing that almost everyone online is using unskillful weapons, like the tentatek splattershot, the Splattershot Jr. and other scrubby weapons. I call these weapons scrubby, because they don't require skill and carry you to victory without you practically lifting a finger. These weapons are fine to use, if you're new to the game, but i think that by level 15 you should consider using better respected and skill required weapons
Easy to get into, but hard to master. Anyone can pick up either weapon, but to really use them to their fullest and get stuff done, you need to spend time with it. There's a reason why I see the tentatek and splattershot jr. more often then most other guns at higher levels.

When I first climbed into S+, I was a Krak-on Roller and I got heat for being a "cheap Kraken spammer". So then I switched to a Luna Blaster (vanilla since Neo wasn't released at the time) and sure enough, I got heat for being a "cheap TC weapon for people who don't have skill to aim" even though I used it in all game modes. Then I swapped to an E-Liter and was called a "Burst Bomb main" and a "camper" (aren't snipers supposed to be on perches?). Moving to the custom variant just made the "Burst Bomb main" into a "cheap Kraken spammer" again. Then I swapped to a Kelp Splatterscope and fought upfront, only to later be accused of only getting my splats because I stacked Damage Ups.

There are always going to be people who blame the opponent's weapon but that mentality isn't really doing anyone any favors. At this stage of the game, complaining about "unskilled weapons" feels like a poor excuse for not learning how to combat said "unskilled weapons." I'm not saying it's easy to counter every single weapon in the game with your own particular weapon but pawning off your losses because "the opponent was using a cheap weapon" is a mindset that really just limits your own improvement.
This.
It doesn't matter what you do, people are going to get mad at you for being good. Instead of doing something to appease the angry masses (which will be in vain because you'll never sate them), just pick some weapons you like and go for it.

Soap

Inkling
Easy to get into, but hard to master. Anyone can pick up either weapon, but to really use them to their fullest and get stuff done, you need to spend time with it. There's a reason why I see the tentatek and splattershot jr. more often then most other guns at higher levels.

This.
It doesn't matter what you do, people are going to get mad at you for being good. Instead of doing something to appease the angry masses (which will be in vain because you'll never sate them), just pick some weapons you like and go for it.

I like what you said, but every time i use a weapon i like, i see tenteteks, bubblers, 96. gals riding my ***, then if i manage to escape them, i end up just getting sniped by some ***** charger, camping so hard i can smell them roasting marshmellows.

Soap

Inkling
There is almost no balance in the weapons... who would win, a tentetek or a bamboozler? the

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Aw man, I like the Splattershot/Octoshot. I never found it "bad" or "scrubby" or anything like that. It's just a weapon that can do many things, and do them fairly well; I'd compare it to Mario in Smash.

And frankly, I'd hardly call it an instant-win gun. I've probably lost more matches than I've won with this thing, haha.

I mean, if we're gonna complain about "really good guns that I don't like," I could go on all day about the .96 Gal Deco & Suction Bomb Rush, and how those are both the two most OP things in the game...

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
How hated are the Sloshers?

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
I'm mainly a charger user, but occasionally use a shooter or inkbrush. With the shooters I prefer one that can shoot fast even if the range isn't that good so I mainly use the Jr.. I can usually do fairly decent with it, but I'm certainly not amazing with it. In one match, I faced a squelcher who just destroyed me, they were really good at keeping a good distance from me and so I could hardly do anything to them.

Silentium

Senior Squid
I like what you said, but every time i use a weapon i like, i see tenteteks, bubblers, 96. gals riding my ***, then if i manage to escape them, i end up just getting sniped by some ***** charger, camping so hard i can smell them roasting marshmellows.
Well such weapons are probably the best at successfully chasing someone down, so don't feel bad if it happens on occasion. If the snipers manage to get you, well, they did their job. They saw a prime opportunity to take someone out, and did so. All I can say is be more aware of your surroundings, and look out for snipers. Don't be afraid to hide in your ink occasionally, as it will give you some time to look around and monitor your surroundings. Who know, you may even be able to catch one of the enemies off guard.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
I don't think any weapon is the easy way out cause no matter what your weapons strengths, you're often going to be up against a weapon with different strengths that makes it difficult. Something like the Tentatek Splattershot is so popular because it's an all rounder. I'd say from what I hear about Krak On Rollers before the nerf, they were a quick and easy OP weapon but now I think the game is pretty balanced.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
When a player blames a weapon for being "overpowered", it is normally more reflective upon their skill rather than the weapon's skill. You're only blaming these weapons because you don't know how to handle them. I know that sounds harsh but it's true. If you learn how to counter these weapons, they probably wouldn't seem so powerful to you. There aren't any overpowered weapons in Splatoon and each weapon takes skill to master. These "scrubby" weapons that you listed take skill to master and they're not that hard to beat once you figure out how to counter them. This is honestly just a weak excuse to ignore your own flaws with the game.

Don't ignore your flaws. We all have them and we all have room to improve. Instead of blaming weapons, look at what you are doing wrong and try to learn better. We're all still learning more and more about the game. We can't improve if we keep blaming the weapons for our short comings.

Is it easy to counter every weapon in the game? Of course not. Some weapons are a bad matchup. However, this is up to your discretion. You need to know the weapon that you are using. You need to know when you can fight or when you should retreat. If you choose to fight a weapon you're disadvantaged against and die, that is your own fault. When it comes to a Bamboozler and Tentatek... It will be the Bamboozler's fault for fighting the Tentatek at close range. The Bamboozler is a bad matchup for the Tentatek due to its damage output. It should stay farther back and shoot rather than attempting to get up close to the Tentatek. If you hit a Tentatek from behind, they'll usually be dead before they can take you out. Of course, this takes skill with the Bamboozler. I personally couldn't hit a wall with that thing. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom