• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Rollers - for beginners?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
All of the weapons are for beginners, the rollers can just get some quick kills from people not paying attention.

NintendodudeX

Inkling
NNID
Hailex
Rollers would probably be quite good with their own bubble power up, and maybe some ink grenades. The current set up for rollers doesn't seem to be at the peak of what it can be.
NOOOOOOOOO!!! With how fast rollers can get their own special weapons giving them a really good defensive item like the bubble would break the game. Everyone would use that set because you can give teammates bubble shield as well and just keep going. What is going to stop you? Nothing that's what

Lucky Fool

Inkling
This has made me wonder about whether the roller is best on the front lines or at the back. You'd think as it's effectively a melee weapon the best option would be to dash straight into your opponents, but that just doesn't work. I guess this is one of the strange things about Splatoon!
Honestly it seems roller users are better for surprise attacks or backsplats or better at hiding near enemy spawn points and rolling them over when they leave... could be the pro meta game latter on when we have time to upgrade ourselves with clothing and perks to maximize point and splats.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
I do think it depends on the map, such as the two from the Testfire demo. It seemed to work quite well there, but even then it's not hard to counter. I think it's pretty easy to pick up and use, but can be used very well in the hands of someone that knows what they're doing. It's a very good weapon for surprise attacks because it doesn't give much time to react.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
Excluding the individual skill, I think rollers are essential in a team. At least one roller covering lots of ground with splattershots accompanying them to pick off enemies is a tactic I can see working well, maybe with a charged positioned somewhere to watch the whole convoy and cover some extra ground.

On it's own though, excluding team tactics? Rollers are easy to use, since they involve near enough zero aim, making it easy for "beginners" to shooters yeah, in the same way knives were for noobs in CoD MW2 apparently. But that doesn't mean they're limited to noobs, because if you know what you're doing, you can devastate the enemy team with that thing.

SirWhynus

Inkster Jr.
I think that soon after everyone gets used to using the roller, they can utilize it more properly. I think the reason why the roller is looked at like this is because all the other weapons, primarily splattershots, are more in the norm. Soon enough, the weapon will show its uses.

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
The paint roller is what's commonly referred to as a "glass cannon". So no, it's not for beginners. It may cover a lot of surface area, but you become a huge target. Each team needs to maintain a multitude of different weapon types in order to be successful.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Melee weapons are never for beginners in shooters and the roller isn't an exception. The thing with the roller is that it is quite the unconventional weapon, so people naturally didn't know how to deal with it at first. In the first beta rollers were stomping the opponents, but in the second beta it was noticeable that people started to figure out how to deal with them.

Geistbox

Full Squid
You know I actually never realized that you could straight up jump over the rollers.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I realize that working around it is going to be easier in time to actually maneuver around them.

CoopLan

Squid Streamer
NNID
LanceHS
NOOOOOOOOO!!! With how fast rollers can get their own special weapons giving them a really good defensive item like the bubble would break the game. Everyone would use that set because you can give teammates bubble shield as well and just keep going. What is going to stop you? Nothing that's what
They aren't going to have restrictions I presume. I think bubble plus roller is going to be very strong, but I think we can't really make judgements till the game is out.

NintendodudeX

Inkling
NNID
Hailex
They aren't going to have restrictions I presume. I think bubble plus roller is going to be very strong, but I think we can't really make judgements till the game is out.
Well do remember Nintendo did say you only buy sets of weapons from the weapon shop and can't customize sets. What they offer is what you get. So I hope they don't give the roller a bubble. It's like giving Diddy Kong in smash 4 wave dashing and no one else. That combo is too much power for that one weapon. It's fine on its own but give a shield it can use every few seconds of painting an then it becomes broken.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
I was literally the only one in the room with a shooter. I have a feeling most people use the roller to have the most points in the room, they get an easy 1000+ points, while a shooter normally gets 600-800 is their good.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Roller is a support type weapon so there's no specific approach to it. You have to weave in and out to use it the most effectively, mostly cause starting off you're just laying groundwork for the team but after that it's more about covering ground.

They're easy to get around however, and they're not really that equipped for kills. They're susceptible to grenades for one thing and the Killer Wail special move is clearly given to it so it has an easier time to kill (as it doesn't cover ink). If you're in to kill a roller, you have to flank and sneak around them.
I honestly think the Wail is given to rollers because they can set it up not just to kill/get past enemies, but to set up in a highly contested area. It creates a space the enemy can't approach, so you can just roll on through and get a lot of turf.

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
After the demo today, rollers definitely felt like the "Little Mac" of the weapons; easy to pick up and use. Hopefully they won't get so overly used that they become easier to counter like what happened with Mac in Sm4sh

SirWhynus

Inkster Jr.
After the demo today, rollers definitely felt like the "Little Mac" of the weapons; easy to pick up and use. Hopefully they won't get so overly used that they become easier to counter like what happened with Mac in Sm4sh
That's bound to happen, as the game grows and become more familiar, they're going to be ways to counter pretty much everything. I'm waiting for the ink brush, That's what I want to use the most, and also keep in mind that they are other variants that have quirks to them, like the Dynamo roller.

Oh, and DLC weapons.

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
That's bound to happen, as the game grows and become more familiar, they're going to be ways to counter pretty much everything. I'm waiting for the ink brush, That's what I want to use the most, and also keep in mind that they are other variants that have quirks to them, like the Dynamo roller.

Oh, and DLC weapons.
I have to agree with you there. The paintbrush certainly looks like it'll be a good weapon! I just hope the weapons system will be nice and balanced. In games with loads of weapons like in TF2 for example, there really is a "meta" for which is good and which isn't. I'm really hoping each has their own strengths and weaknesses, so they can all be valid choices in the long run.

SirWhynus

Inkster Jr.
I have to agree with you there. The paintbrush certainly looks like it'll be a good weapon! I just hope the weapons system will be nice and balanced. In games with loads of weapons like in TF2 for example, there really is a "meta" for which is good and which isn't. I'm really hoping each has their own strengths and weaknesses, so they can all be valid choices in the long run.
I'm just so hyped to see how this game will look a couple months from now. It's unbelievable to think that this game is as good as it is, and is going to grow in the coming months with DLC! I also think this game can have a competitive future as well. I think the game is balanced as it is though.

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
Also, reminder for future players out there, but a team of 4 Roller users is not practical.

Just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom