• no

Votes: 10 13.5%

• Total voters

Pyritie

Full Squid
NNID
Pyritie
in the credits they show that the inklings friended the octolings
I don't think they were even really "at war" at the present time to begin with, since the inklings forced them all underground. Agent 3 was technically the one invading, and the only reason why was because a rogue octo...guy stole a bunch of electricity generators.

The octolings you encounter could just be henchmen or mercenaries.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
The octolings will most likely be presented as anti heroes in the future since the only 'bad' thing they have done is technically for a good cause. Also they are kinda goofy in how they lost the war because they accidently tripped and unplugged their machines and because they had 2 less tentacles than their (lazy? It said the inklings liked to sleep in) opposition.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Also they are kinda goofy in how they lost the war because they accidently tripped and unplugged their machines and because they had 2 less tentacles than their (lazy? It said the inklings liked to sleep in) opposition.
Personally, I call BS on this one.

Some Sunken Scrolls come off as some sort of propaganda to me.
Such as the thing about Octorians having lost the war, because they accidently unplugged their machines... or the thing about Inklings having won because they had more limbs...
(Serious...? <.<)
To me, they look like made up stuff, from some spin doctors.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)

Such as the thing about Octorians having lost the war, because they accidently unplugged their machines... or the thing about Inklings having won because they had more limbs...
(Serious...? <.<)
If a single inkling could take down the modern octarian army, Then it's just as plausible the great octoweapons were defeated in such a fashion.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Im pretty sure they will release them very soon. Maybe with the Rainmaker mode?

Pyritie

Full Squid
NNID
Pyritie
If a single inkling could take down the modern octarian army, Then it's just as plausible the great octoweapons were defeated in such a fashion.
Nowhere is it stated that you're fighting the full extent of the modern octarian army. For all you know, these could be a bunch of rebels, some of you-know-who's goons, or just randoms protecting their homeland.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
And not to forget, the almightly "PLOT POWER"!!! :D

In all seriousness though, the player-character is always a prodigy, who can take down whatever amount of baddies before him or her.
The game would be frustrating to play otherwise.
So yeah, a gameplay-excuse.

That doesn't make the Octorian army look pathetic though.
I mean, they can kill you quickly, if you are reckless.
Especially the Octolings, who have the exact some moves and abilities as you have.

In any case, while most of the Sunken Scrolls are valid lore-items.
A few of them look like made-up BS to me.
But that is what makes them so good.

I mean, we get history-scrolls, news articles from the old days and all sorts of history-items.
It only makes sense to have some among them, that don't speak the truth and are just made-up nonsense.
It makes the world feel more real to me.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord

(Serious...? <.<)
Well they some are played for laughs and while some do look like propaganda I would say the unplugging one is not- It stated they were winning the war prior to that error and that is some pretty embarrassing propaganda- usually you don't make propaganda mocking yourselves. Remember they were going after power this time around and used wireless power sources for the octobots so it could have happened.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I think you could say the Octorian machines reached their limit and failed at the last second.
And the reporters writing those articles, wrote it like this, just to rub salt into the wound.

Inklings and Octorians were bitter enemies during that time.
So it makes sense that they would try and beat their enemy in every way they can.
Including humiliation.

Which is pretty much what this article is for me: Made-up nonsense, just to humiliate the Octorians even further, as if their machines failing at the last second, when they were winning wasn't bad enough....

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I think you could say the Octorian machines reached their limit and failed at the last second.
And the reporters writing those articles, wrote it like this, just to rub salt into the wound.

Inklings and Octorians were bitter enemies during that time.
So it makes sense that they would try and beat their enemy in every way they can.
Including humiliation.

Which is pretty much what this article is for me: Made-up nonsense, just to humiliate the Octorians even further, as if their machines failing at the last second, when they were winning wasn't bad enough....
Or they were dominating the Great Turf War, but then they disconnected, so they automatically lost. I'm sure every player with an even slightly unstable internet connection can relate (it's happened to me, at least).

But yeah, propagandic (<is that a word?) humiliation makes sense, since it would appear every entry
except the ones written by Judd's owner, and maybe a few earlier ones
were written by the victorious Inklings. They're interesting as a look into Inkling culture (at least, some of them),
and how they view humanity and tempura shrimp (at least I think that's what that was),
but the ones about the Great Turf War should be taken with a grain of salt.

Also @DonkaFjord that makes sense. Can't disconnect a wireless power source by pulling the plug.
Too bad they went up against a player character. They might've won if they'd just fought an army of NPC Inklings offscreen (it was clearly going well last time, until the disconnect). Or at least that's what my Fire Emblem knowledge tells me.

Alsoalso, and on a completely unrelated note, I remember reading the Sunken Scrolls in the Smash 4 announcer's voice in my head when I first got them. Not sure why.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
guys we should probably take this discussion of the legitimacy of the scrolls to the general single player discussion

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
True, that probably was veering a bit off topic there.

I don't think they were even really "at war" at the present time to begin with, since the inklings forced them all underground. Agent 3 was technically the one invading, and the only reason why was because a rogue octo...guy stole a bunch of electricity generators.

The octolings you encounter could just be henchmen or mercenaries.
I suppose that could be true, and if so it would make a great explanation for playable Octolings showing up. Could be a bit confusing unless you play Octo Valley (something that has been brought up at least once in this thread, I'm sure), but that wouldn't be too big a deal (something else that has been brought up at least once in this thread, I'm sure).

Also, on another playable-Octoling-problems front, how would they announce playable Octolings if it happened? Would the Squid Sisters panic? Would DJ Octavio and/or some Octolings hijack the update show? Would it just be handled like a regular announcement of a thing being added in an update?

Im pretty sure they will release them very soon. Maybe with the Rainmaker mode?
Yeah, that would be a nice time to release Octolings for multiplayer. Hell, any time would be a nice time to release Octolings for multiplayer as far as I'm concerned.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I don't see much of a problem with how they announce it.
They probably will just hide them behind the "Infos Online" generic text and keep the actual Octoling announcement in a special YouTube-video.

At least I would think that.

Tho I would have nothing against a goofy conversation between Callie and Marie, with one being paranoid and the other willing to give them a proper chance. : 3

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Im still hoping for them to be playable at some point and it does seem there is more and more evidence to point towards that conclusion.

maximumtherayray

Inkster Jr.
NNID
maximumtherayray
I just wanna be an octoling girl and turn into a cute little octopus and.... And..... And....... I want it now! Octopus is my favorite animal. xD

Ryuho

Pro Squid
NNID
FurryRyuho
Check out this video:

And:

Looks like they might be playable in next update? What do you think? :scared:
Was the model viewable to the other person as well there? It really is seeming like octolings are going to happen in playable form in some capacity. Just when and in what way though

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Was the model viewable to the other person as well there? It really is seeming like octolings are going to happen in playable form in some capacity. Just when and in what way though
To answer your question, yes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom